Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark Loretta
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:12 pm 

For those unaware, DK's PBC blog is back in action. He mentions the Bucs are one of several teams who have had multiple conversations with Loretta's agent. Loretta, according to the article, can play all infield positions. Its been my observation though that he is as much of a shortstop as Luis Rivas was. Of course, he has hit much better, so maybe you tolerate that.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... retta.aspx

Post subject: Re: Mark Loretta
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 am 
BBF wrote:
For those unaware, DK's PBC blog is back in action. He mentions the Bucs are one of several teams who have had multiple conversations with Loretta's agent. Loretta, according to the article, can play all infield positions. Its been my observation though that he is as much of a shortstop as Luis Rivas was. Of course, he has hit much better, so maybe you tolerate that.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... retta.aspx

Hmmm ... I like it and don't at the same time. At least there are efforts to acquire players, which is very encouraging.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:51 am 

I'm alright as long as he is going to be a bench guy...I dont want to see him as a replacement of Jack at SS

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:39 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I'm alright as long as he is going to be a bench guy...I dont want to see him as a replacement of Jack at SS

I am under the ASSUMPTION that the Pirates aren't going to find any offers to Jack Wilson to their liking because they appear to be overvaluing his worth in a trade. He may be back next year.

I did read a few weeks ago that Marcus Thames is on the block for the Tigers and I know that Leyland does like Jack Wilson. I know Thames isn't going to win us a pennant, but he can mash the ball and would be decent insurance if Moss's injury is a problem or McCutchen flops out of the gate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:50 pm 

I don't believe the Pirates are willing to give up Wilson unless they get what they feel is proper compensation. I am very much ok with Jack coming back next season, and really, I pretty much expect it. This is another clear indication that NH is far better than DL. DL would have traded Jack already for a bag of balls and Ned Colletti's babysitters number.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:06 pm 

No I don't feel they should give him away for nothing either and would be glad to have him back. It just looks like other teams are balking at what NH is asking in return, which like you said is much better than Littlefield would've done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 pm 

omgardd wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I am under the ASSUMPTION that the Pirates aren't going to find any offers to Jack Wilson to their liking because they appear to be overvaluing his worth in a trade. He may be back next year.

I did read a few weeks ago that Marcus Thames is on the block for the Tigers and I know that Leyland does like Jack Wilson. I know Thames isn't going to win us a pennant, but he can mash the ball and would be decent insurance if Moss's injury is a problem or McCutchen flops out of the gate.

I have no desire to see Thames on the Pirates unless he comes very cheap, either as a throw-in in a trade or as a waiver-wire pickup. He'll be 32 years old next season, which means he has no future with this organization, and he can't get on base. Players like Thames are players that the Pirates should avoid, unless they come cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:40 pm 
If Thames or any player can help the Pirates win games, I'm fine with that. I'm not convinced Thames can at this point though.