Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rotation: 2 spots open
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 am 

With today's news that Karstens injury will land him on the DL, it (extremely depressingly) leaves 2 spots open in the rotation a week before opening day.

We can assume that Locke will occupy one of those spots since he was slated as the no. 5 starter anyway.

Does Jonathan Sanchez get the other spot? Seems insane that we would even be asking this question a couple weeks ago when his spring training tryout was a trainwreck (to his credit, he has been better lately), but that's injury life. Due to his contract, the Pirates will have to make that decision by Tuesday's game, or else he can choose to be released.

And McPherson is still in the mix, though his getting shelled as of late probably doesn't bode well for any reactionary decision-making. That's just one outing though.

There are a few wildcards like Jeanmar Gomez or Chris Leroux but I think this is basically down to the 3 guys I previously mentioned.

I would take my chances and roll with Locke and McPherson, though I fear we are about to witness Sanchez as the fifth starter.

Post subject: Re: Rotation: 2 spots open
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am 

TheShark wrote:
With today's news that Karstens injury will land him on the DL, it (extremely depressingly) leaves 2 spots open in the rotation a week before opening day.

We can assume that Locke will occupy one of those spots since he was slated as the no. 5 starter anyway.

Does Jonathan Sanchez get the other spot? Seems insane that we would even be asking this question a couple weeks ago when his spring training tryout was a trainwreck (to his credit, he has been better lately), but that's injury life. Due to his contract, the Pirates will have to make that decision by Tuesday's game, or else he can choose to be released.

And McPherson is still in the mix, though his getting shelled as of late probably doesn't bode well for any reactionary decision-making. That's just one outing though.

There are a few wildcards like Jeanmar Gomez or Chris Leroux but I think this is basically down to the 3 guys I previously mentioned.

I would take my chances and roll with Locke and McPherson, though I fear we are about to witness Sanchez as the fifth starter.

I believe KMac gets his last shot to impress today. Looks like its J. Sanchez's to lose as shocking as that is. I just don't get the Leroux thing, never have, the guy was throwing 89-90 yesterday with no control. I never understood why he has been kept around so long for so little production. Its not liek he's particuylarly young either, turning 29 in 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:44 am 

What is the timetable on Liriano?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
What is the timetable on Liriano?

early May

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm 

TheShark wrote:

You would have to think that Leroux blew any chance he had with his horrible outing yesterday. The fifth starter wouldn't need to pitch until April 6th (due to an open day on Tuesday). That's 12 days away. Any chance Karstens feels better by then? If not, I'd rather see Locke and McPherson. If they are a part of our future, then there's no time like the present to throw them in there and get some innings under their belts at the MBL level.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 pm 

Leroux is being considered for a bullpen spot, not the rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:53 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Leroux is being considered for a bullpen spot, not the rotation.

Yes, but I mentioned him because he has expressed interest in becoming a starter this spring in the vein of how Karstens used to be, a guy who projects to occupy a long relief-type role who becomes a SP. I don't think the Pirates are taking the offer very seriously and likely only view him as a bullpen piece, but like I said, it's a wildcard option who might make a spot start or two down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:56 pm 

Just last year people were on here touting Leroux's abilities and I just didn't get it. He's toast. Actually he was never good enough to be toast.

I don't understand this organizations reluctance to use it's young people. Put Locke and McPherson out there. If they succeed you have a nice problem when Liriano/Karstens/Morton/Cole get back or get promoted. If they don't succeed you will soon have other options. It's one thing to think you are really close to contending and want to add a veteran piece or two. But two things...I don't think they are close to contending(hope I'm dead wrong). On paper the Reds and Cardinals look miles ahead of the Bucs. And the other is if one of the veterans is named Jonathan Sanchez then you should pass. This guy is a train wreck. At least with Liriano you could still see enough glimpses last year to keep you enthused. Sanchez? He hasn't shown glimpses for about 3 years now. I'm not sure if it is Hurdle who pushes for all of these veterans or if this is a case of a GM knowing they have to win immediately to save his job. But I've got news for him...Sanchez isn't saving anyone's job!

Give me Locke, McPherson, Mercer over these old, washed up has beens/never weres any time....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm 

It hasn't been that long ago for Sanchez. 2010 was his career year. He was mediocre in 2011 and melted down in 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm 

Kind of funny isn't it?

We've been in our eternal "Wait until next year" mode for years talking about all our young stud arms, and three of them are given the chance to prove they belong in the spring, and what happens?

Here we are looking at the same Major League scrap heap guys we seem to deal with every year, oh yeah and the injuries.

Sigh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 pm 

I don't think we should go too far overboard with worry here.

I think many of us would agree that after the off-season (prior to the injuries), the Pirates had perhaps their strongest SP depth in a while with a clear cut, reliable 1-3 and the signing of Liriano and resigning of Karstens (plus two on the bubble options in Locke and McPherson). Compare just having two very solid pitchers at the top of the rotation in Burnett and Wandy as opposed to having to rely on guys like Correia, Morton and Ohlendorf to anchor the staff in recent year's past.

Obviously having the two injuries out of the gate in April feels demoralizing but I don't think it's cause to panic. We would have likely seen very similar situations occur at certain points throughout the season where it wouldn't be unlikely for Karstens to take one of his inevitable DL trips or whatever other injuries and we get some spot starts. As far as the quality of the remaining options, that remains to be seen. But this is ultimately just one extra guy joining the rotation, Locke was already a Locke for the fifth starter job. But although it wasn't in stone and someone had a chance to uber-impress in ST, there were/are technically still two spots open.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 pm 

J.D. wrote:
We've been in our eternal "Wait until next year" mode for years talking about all our young stud arms, and three of them are given the chance to prove they belong in the spring, and what happens?

Here we are looking at the same Major League scrap heap guys we seem to deal with every year, oh yeah and the injuries.

Not sure I follow your logic here. To your last point, the only one who could be considered a "Major League scrap heap guy" as you put it is Sanchez, that's it. Locke will be in the rotation, and McPherson will be getting the same look as Sanchez, regardless of the decision the team makes.

Also not sure who the three young arms you were referring to -- if you were referring to Cole and Taillon as two of them, they weren't actually getting evaluated in ST as actually getting shots to be in the big league rotation. Both will obviously still need time in the minors regardless of their performance in the spring. If you meant Locke and McPherson as two of them, like I said, one will be in the rotation, and the other still has a chance to be.