Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3645
Location: Economy, PA
Morris, Goedart, DeJesus sent down today.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ralphie wrote:
Morris, Goedart, DeJesus sent down today.


The Morris cut is a bit baffling, he'll be 26 by opening day and has nothing left to prove in AAA. I guess that means Leroux, Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez are looking good for spots with Sanchez in the rotation (still can't believe it) and Karstens in the pen to start the year.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Morris, Goedart, DeJesus sent down today.


The Morris cut is a bit baffling, he'll be 26 by opening day and has nothing left to prove in AAA. I guess that means Leroux, Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez are looking good for spots with Sanchez in the rotation (still can't believe it) and Karstens in the pen to start the year.

Karstens in the pen? I'm guessing Sanchez will take the spot that we had assumed was going to the winner of the Locke/Mcpherson battle. Neither has shown enough to win it, IMHO. So I think that Karstens and Sanchez will be the 4/5 starters and Locke/McPherson don't make the team (this is assuming Karstens is healthy).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
burghermeister wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Morris, Goedart, DeJesus sent down today.


The Morris cut is a bit baffling, he'll be 26 by opening day and has nothing left to prove in AAA. I guess that means Leroux, Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez are looking good for spots with Sanchez in the rotation (still can't believe it) and Karstens in the pen to start the year.

Karstens in the pen? I'm guessing Sanchez will take the spot that we had assumed was going to the winner of the Locke/Mcpherson battle. Neither has shown enough to win it, IMHO. So I think that Karstens and Sanchez will be the 4/5 starters and Locke/McPherson don't make the team (this is assuming Karstens is healthy).


There is almost no way Karstens can get his pitch count up in time unless they skip the #5 SP a few times. He is throwing 2 inning right now.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1588
It's a shame Locke and McPherson haven't shown they're ready.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 910
VanSlick wrote:
It's a shame Locke and McPherson haven't shown they're ready.


I guess all the complaining we did last year when we were making a run wasn't warranted. Management obviously knows things about these guys beyond what we see in the stats that factor in why guys are and are not called up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
rellimie wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
It's a shame Locke and McPherson haven't shown they're ready.


I guess all the complaining we did last year when we were making a run wasn't warranted. Management obviously knows things about these guys beyond what we see in the stats that factor in why guys are and are not called up.


I wouldn't make either conclusion based on ST stats, both guys are MLB ready back end SP. Locke is sporting a 3.12 era, 1.27 whip this spring so I have no idea why he was included here. He'll be the #4 SP to start the season.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
Pirates announcer just said Karstens will start for the Pirates and throw 65-75 pitches tomorrow. Barring setbacks, he should be ready to take the ball by the time a 5th starter is required in April.

Locke was unimpressive again today: done after 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 0 K.

I'm standing by my prediction: Sanchez and Karstens will be the 4/5 starters when the team goes north.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
burghermeister wrote:
Pirates announcer just said Karstens will start for the Pirates and throw 65-75 pitches tomorrow. Barring setbacks, he should be ready to take the ball by the time a 5th starter is required in April.

Locke was unimpressive again today: done after 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 0 K.

I'm standing by my prediction: Sanchez and Karstens will be the 4/5 starters when the team goes north.


Too much too fast -

"Jeff Karstens was scratched from Sunday's start due to lingering shoulder discomfort and is expected to begin the season on the disabled list. " - Sanserino

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5769
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Karstens and health issues. Shocker.
Haven't seen anything about Liriano recently. Anyone else read anything?

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5769
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Found something:

Andrew McCutchen was scratched from the lineup Saturday because of flu-like symptoms. ... Brandon Inge (shoulder), still sore after being hit by a pitch nearly two weeks ago, did not make the trip to Fort Myers on Saturday. He also is not listed among the available players for the game Sunday against the Orioles at McKechnie Field. ... Jeff Karstens (biceps tendinitis) will make his first Grapefruit League appearance Sunday. ... Francisco Liriano (broken right arm) will toss his third bullpen session Sunday and plans to use all his pitches. Previously, he'd been limited to fastballs and changeups.


Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3705 ... z2OSsvB6WC
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], buccosfan77, doug frobel, eggson27, Google [Bot], IA Pirate, RTJR, val, Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits