Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:57 am 

Morris, Goedart, DeJesus sent down today.

Post subject: Re: More Cuts Today
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 am 

Ralphie wrote:

The Morris cut is a bit baffling, he'll be 26 by opening day and has nothing left to prove in AAA. I guess that means Leroux, Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez are looking good for spots with Sanchez in the rotation (still can't believe it) and Karstens in the pen to start the year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:14 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

The Morris cut is a bit baffling, he'll be 26 by opening day and has nothing left to prove in AAA. I guess that means Leroux, Wilson, and Jonathan Sanchez are looking good for spots with Sanchez in the rotation (still can't believe it) and Karstens in the pen to start the year.

Karstens in the pen? I'm guessing Sanchez will take the spot that we had assumed was going to the winner of the Locke/Mcpherson battle. Neither has shown enough to win it, IMHO. So I think that Karstens and Sanchez will be the 4/5 starters and Locke/McPherson don't make the team (this is assuming Karstens is healthy).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Karstens in the pen? I'm guessing Sanchez will take the spot that we had assumed was going to the winner of the Locke/Mcpherson battle. Neither has shown enough to win it, IMHO. So I think that Karstens and Sanchez will be the 4/5 starters and Locke/McPherson don't make the team (this is assuming Karstens is healthy).

There is almost no way Karstens can get his pitch count up in time unless they skip the #5 SP a few times. He is throwing 2 inning right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm 

It's a shame Locke and McPherson haven't shown they're ready.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 am 

VanSlick wrote:

I guess all the complaining we did last year when we were making a run wasn't warranted. Management obviously knows things about these guys beyond what we see in the stats that factor in why guys are and are not called up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 pm 

rellimie wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

I guess all the complaining we did last year when we were making a run wasn't warranted. Management obviously knows things about these guys beyond what we see in the stats that factor in why guys are and are not called up.

I wouldn't make either conclusion based on ST stats, both guys are MLB ready back end SP. Locke is sporting a 3.12 era, 1.27 whip this spring so I have no idea why he was included here. He'll be the #4 SP to start the season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:20 pm 

Pirates announcer just said Karstens will start for the Pirates and throw 65-75 pitches tomorrow. Barring setbacks, he should be ready to take the ball by the time a 5th starter is required in April.

Locke was unimpressive again today: done after 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 0 K.

I'm standing by my prediction: Sanchez and Karstens will be the 4/5 starters when the team goes north.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 am 

burghermeister wrote:
Pirates announcer just said Karstens will start for the Pirates and throw 65-75 pitches tomorrow. Barring setbacks, he should be ready to take the ball by the time a 5th starter is required in April.

Locke was unimpressive again today: done after 4 IP, 3 R, 7 H, 1 BB, 0 K.

I'm standing by my prediction: Sanchez and Karstens will be the 4/5 starters when the team goes north.

Too much too fast -

"Jeff Karstens was scratched from Sunday's start due to lingering shoulder discomfort and is expected to begin the season on the disabled list. " - Sanserino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 am 

Karstens and health issues. Shocker.
Haven't seen anything about Liriano recently. Anyone else read anything?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:48 am 

Found something:

Andrew McCutchen was scratched from the lineup Saturday because of flu-like symptoms. ... Brandon Inge (shoulder), still sore after being hit by a pitch nearly two weeks ago, did not make the trip to Fort Myers on Saturday. He also is not listed among the available players for the game Sunday against the Orioles at McKechnie Field. ... Jeff Karstens (biceps tendinitis) will make his first Grapefruit League appearance Sunday. ... Francisco Liriano (broken right arm) will toss his third bullpen session Sunday and plans to use all his pitches. Previously, he'd been limited to fastballs and changeups.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3705 ... z2OSsvB6WC
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook