Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 21, 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 am 

I attended tonight's high scoring affair in Sarasota. Some thoughts in no particular order:

1. Our clutch hitting is a cause for some concern. The Bucs had baserunners in almost every inning and couldn't get anyone home. This could be a long season if we don't rectify this situation.

2. Both Garrett Jones and Russell Martin hit balls that were nearly out of the yard. Had there been any wind tonight, they would have been gone.

3. The Bucs had a great chance to score in the top of the ninth, but a great catch by Machado kept the Pirates off of the board.

4. I know that we have beaten the issue to death on this board, but I still got frustrated and sick whenever Wieters stepped to the plate :(

5. Sanchez made a very strong bid to make the #5 spot in the rotation. If he can pitch like this in the regular season, he belongs on this team.

6. Our relievers also looked strong tonight. A strong fielding play and throw to first by Justin Wilson kept the Orioles off of the board with two outs in the ninth and runners on 2nd and third.

7. The home plate umpire was all over the place in his calling of strikes tonight. Remember, it is also Spring Training for the umpires.

8. To my surprise, the varsity lineup played the full nine, with the replacements coming in during the 10th inning.

9. I have a bad feeling that baserunning will remain a problem. Presley looked awful in a pick off play. Shortly thereafter, Tabata was lucky not to get thrown out at second on another pickoff play.

10. Speaking of Tabata, he continued his strong spring with a key hit in the 9th.

11. Of all of the spring games that I have attended over the years, this is the only one that has ended in a 0-0 tie.

12. Of all of the spring games that I have attended, this is the first game that I have ever attended at Ed Smith Stadium. It is a beautiful facility. The renovation that occurred before the Orioles moved in did a great job in incorporating the history of the team into the ballpark. Plus, crabcakes are available at the concession stands for the vacationing Marylanders.

13. In order to honor the sports history between the cities of Baltimore and Pittsburgh, I wore my 1970s logo t-shirt tonight with a Steelers fleece :)

That's all I can think of for now. Next game report will be tomorrow from Bradenton.

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 21, 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:35 am 

Clutch hitting? What's that? :shock: :? :D

Thanks for the great game report PoP!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 am 

Thanks PoP.

How was Sanchez' velocity? I had heard he was topping out at 93.

He was abysmal last year but with his experience they have to be tempted. I think the last rotation spot comes down to him or Locke. McPherson seems to have pitched his way out of the competition.

Does anyone know Sanchez' contract situation? Also, can Locke and McPherson be sent down?

If Sanchez is cheap and Locke and McPherson have options, I think I would go with Sanchez.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:16 am 

Sanchez was throwing in the 90s. He seemed to have decent command of the strike zone, but, as mentioned above, the home plate umpire had a very erratic interpretation of the strike zone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:30 am 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
I attended tonight's high scoring affair in Sarasota. Some thoughts in no particular order:

1. Our clutch hitting is a cause for some concern. The Bucs had baserunners in almost every inning and couldn't get anyone home. This could be a long season if we don't rectify this situation.

My advice to you: "Duck and cover. Fast."

5. Sanchez made a very strong bid to make the #5 spot in the rotation. If he can pitch like this in the regular season, he belongs on this team.

7. The home plate umpire was all over the place in his calling of strikes tonight. Remember, it is also Spring Training for the umpires.

Curious for your perspective here . . . do you think that Sanchez benefitted from your observations contained in #7 or did he really pitch well?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Thanks PoP.

How was Sanchez' velocity? I had heard he was topping out at 93.

He was abysmal last year but with his experience they have to be tempted. I think the last rotation spot comes down to him or Locke. McPherson seems to have pitched his way out of the competition.

Does anyone know Sanchez' contract situation? Also, can Locke and McPherson be sent down?

If Sanchez is cheap and Locke and McPherson have options, I think I would go with Sanchez.

Sanchez was brought in on a minor league deal, if he makes the team (which is now likely) he would get a low dollar MLB contract (probably $1 million or so) and have to be added to the 40 man, probably in Morton's spot when he hits the 60 day DL. Could we be lucky enough to get the "good" Sanchez for almost free?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 am 

0-0?

Other than a soccer game, I don't think I've ever seen a 0-0 game in any sport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:00 pm 

val wrote:
0-0?

It used to happen in hockey quite often before the shootout came along.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 pm 

....and the match was tied at nil.......... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
val wrote:
0-0?

It used to happen in hockey quite often before the shootout came along.

Well, that would explain why I haven't seen any. I think as much of hockey as most Americans do soccer. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm 

Curious for your perspective here . . . do you think that Sanchez benefitted from your observations contained in #7 or did he really pitch well?[/quote]

IMO, Sanchez most certainly benefitted, as did every other Pirates pitcher and every Orioles pitcher.