Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today's PG piece
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:43 am 

DK's piece today pretty much tells it like it is. It was refreshing to hear NH admit to his mistake of naming the starters for 2008 so early last fall. He also seems to be taking the stance of not making trades for trades sake. I think he will have to be made offers that you can't refuse or offers of his own makeup. That is good.

On a different note, for some reason, this article is one of the finer ones that I have read from DK. Just my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Today's PG piece
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm 

I can understand Neal jumping the wagon considering how well Snell and Gorzo pitched in 2007 to give them their jobs...Plus there weren't many options either...

Now there's a lot of guys potentially in the running for these spots...

I liked at the bottom of the article how it talked that the Astros were interested in VanBenschoten as a hitter...probably his only way to stay in the Majors...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:40 pm 
Az Bucco fan wrote:
DK's piece today pretty much tells it like it is. It was refreshing to hear NH admit to his mistake of naming the starters for 2008 so early last fall. He also seems to be taking the stance of not making trades for trades sake. I think he will have to be made offers that you can't refuse or offers of his own makeup. That is good.

On a different note, for some reason, this article is one of the finer ones that I have read from DK. Just my opinion.

AZ, I, too, was glad to hear NH admit his mistake of handing all rotation jobs to last year's crew. That was clearly a mistake (though defended by some of the apologist douche bags on the board), but at least he owned up to it.

Admitting that kind of implies he'll do the opposite this year, which is great news. I hope to see legit competition at most positions in camp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:31 pm 

Elmer wrote:
AZ, I, too, was glad to hear NH admit his mistake of handing all rotation jobs to last year's crew. That was clearly a mistake (though defended by some of the apologist douche bags on the board), but at least he owned up to it.

Feel free to cite these defenses by said "apologist douche bags."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:06 pm 
Willton wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Feel free to cite these defenses by said "apologist douche bags."

Conveniently for you, that happened before opening day on the old board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 pm 

In case anyone missed it, DK is writing a three part report on the Pirates work in the DR. Part one was yesterday, part two today, and part three will be tomorrow. Very good reads.

Interesting tid bits on DL and Graham. Young Nutting as well.

I'll bet Rene Gayo doesn't pick-up too many bar tabs, he seems to carry a ton of clout down there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08335/931514-63.stm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:31 pm 

Argentum wrote:
In case anyone missed it, DK is writing a three part report on the Pirates work in the DR. Part one was yesterday, part two today, and part three will be tomorrow. Very good reads.

I'll bet Rene Gayo doesn't pick-up too many bar tabs, he seems to carry a ton of clout down there.

Yeah, I have enjoyed those pieces as well. But, that makes me an apologist... :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 pm 
BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Yeah, I have enjoyed those pieces as well. But, that makes me an apologist... :roll: :lol:

No, dude, that doesn't make you an apologist. You like what these pieces say, because the Pirates are doing things that are actually good. Objectively evaluating the good and the bad that management does isn't being an apologist (and all management teams in every walk of life do both good and bad).

An apologist would be someone who defends the Pirates or management no matter what they do. An apologist would be someone who sees zero fault with current management. Kind of the inverse of Bob Smizik.