Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest Wilson rumor...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 pm 

...from FoxSports again. This one has Jack going to the Dodgers for 3 prospects, one of which is a highly-touted shortstop. I haven't seen the link....just heard it reported on KDKA last night. They could be getting more info from Buccoblog, so take it for what it's worth.

Post subject: Re: Latest Wilson rumor...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:57 pm 

bradf wrote:
...from FoxSports again. This one has Jack going to the Dodgers for 3 prospects, one of which is a highly-touted shortstop. I haven't seen the link....just heard it reported on KDKA last night. They could be getting more info from Buccoblog, so take it for what it's worth.

The return being reported by Rosenthal was Hu (the shortstop...a glove first guy who might hit even worse than Jack) and Delwyn Young (dear god....) along with a 3rd prospect, but that the Dodgers balked at the asking price. I just don't see a match here, as I have little to no interest in Hu or Young, and the Dodgers deemed that too much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:18 pm 

Hu's at short?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. In these trying times, I'm planning to take some time to focus on the really good aspects of my life and focus on how lucky I am and to be thankful for the great things in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:20 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

[quote="BBF]

The return being reported by Rosenthal was Hu (the shortstop...a glove first guy who might hit even worse than Jack) and Delwyn Young (dear god....) along with a 3rd prospect, but that the Dodgers balked at the asking price. I just don't see a match here, as I have little to no interest in Hu or Young, and the Dodgers deemed that too much.[/quote]

Jack hits just fine. Its his walks you don't like! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Isn't Young the highly talented kid who makes Bonds look like a nice guy?

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
[

You are thinking of DelMON Young, now with the Twins. Not to be confused with DelWYN Young of the Dodgers, a much lesser prospect.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Hu's at short?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. In these trying times, I'm planning to take some time to focus on the really good aspects of my life and focus on how lucky I am and to be thankful for the great things in my life.

Well said No.9

Happy Thanksgiving to you, and everyone else on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:31 pm 

I think this is another probe towards the Pirates to try and devalue Jack Wilson. I myself am not anxious at all to see him go. So every team can tell us how "terrible" he is and I will be happy to watch him manning the SS position all of next year as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
[

You are thinking of DelMON Young, now with the Twins. Not to be confused with DelWYN Young of the Dodgers, a much lesser prospect.

Well, the thinking part is disputable, but thanks for the clarification.

I get the impression he'll end up in Tiger-land. Good fit for them the way Leyland likes the game played, and they've shown they don't need high OBP to make a WS run. :o

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
[

Well, the thinking part is disputable, but thanks for the clarification.

I get the impression he'll end up in Tiger-land. Good fit for them the way Leyland likes the game played, and they've shown they don't need high OBP to make a WS run. :o

ZM

Nice dig. I'll have you know that the Tigers went to the WS by playing Earl Weaver-style baseball: good pitching, good fielding, and the 3-run homer. (The 2006 Tigers were 3rd in the AL in homeruns, despite playing in a pitcher's paradise.)

So much for small ball.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm 
Piratefan13 wrote:
I think this is another probe towards the Pirates to try and devalue Jack Wilson. I myself am not anxious at all to see him go. So every team can tell us how "terrible" he is and I will be happy to watch him manning the SS position all of next year as well.

I agree, PF13. If they trade him and can upgrade, great. But simply moving him to move him doesn't sit well with me. I've seen zero other capable major league shortstops in the entire organization.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
Nice dig. I'll have you know that the Tigers went to the WS by playing Earl Weaver-style baseball: good pitching, good fielding, and the 3-run homer. (The 2006 Tigers were 3rd in the AL in homeruns, despite playing in a pitcher's paradise.)

So much for small ball.

I've never advocated the small ball you talk about. I merely pointed out the obvious, that OBP does not correlate to winning. And, well rounded teams that incorporate defense and fundementals with pitching and hitting, usually end up winning.

That is why Detroit would be a good fit for Jack. Play spectacular defense, hit .275-.285 at the bottom of the lineup, and watch the pitcher's smiles go ear to ear as they see his play behind them.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Willton wrote:

So much for small ball.

I've never advocated the small ball you talk about. I merely pointed out the obvious, that OBP does not correlate to winning.

You partly right. It doesn't correlate all that well with winning. It does correlate pretty well with scoring runs, though. A lot more than any other statistic.