Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates MLB The Show 13 Ratings for those interested
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 am 

I don't know who all is into gaming, I'm not like a serial gamer or anything, I pretty much buy the Show every year and maybe Madden, and that's about it for the most part. The Show is a really sick game though, it's widely praised for being the best sports-sim out there, and has a great franchise mode where you develop players and work with your budget constraints, so it's fun to "rebuild" the Pirates to greatness every year. But the game can be too accurate, and it's difficult to do so :cry: There's also a cool feature where you can create your own rosters and upload them, and that's what this one forum does, they put together a full minors list and upload it so you can download it and have all of your top prospects in your AA/AAA system. This makes the game a blast since you get to develop Cole/Taillon and co. and call them up. They do a fantastic job on the rosters too, all the prospects closely resemble their real life counterparts, and they each have development letter grades, like Cole or Taillon for instance would be graded an A, where Josh Bell would maybe be a B this year. It's fun stuff. But anyways, not trying to sell you the game, but if you're a gamer and love baseball you should definitely check it out.

I thought I would post the Pirates players ratings for you guys, so you can see how well represented they are this year. Keep in mind, Andrew McCutchen is on the cover of the game and basically its spokesperson this year. The ratings are very cool, because if you simulate an entire season and don't play it, the players stats at the end of the year closely resemble their real life counterparts, in Clint Barmes' case that is not cool though. Position value plays into their ratings too, Cutch has a higher rating than most people in the game since he plays a good defensive CF on top of being a great offensive machine, where as a first baseman with better power will get a lower rating since he's only a first baseman. But anyways, here they are for you, overall ratings with a few comments...

Starting lineup (as listed in the game, subject to change by opening day obviously)

1. LF Starling Marte - 69 rating. Speed is rated good, contact and power rated average, but he's a young player with an 'A' potential grade, so his ratings will go up as you play the game and develop him.

2. Neil Walker - 81 rating. A little low I thought, only rated his fielding a 59 which I kind of disagree with. Contact pretty good, power rated about average.

3. Andrew McCutchen - 99 rating. A 99 rating in the game is rare, only 20 some players have it I believe. It's the highest possible rating you can get. His contact is good (97 rated contact vs. lefties), speed is good, defense is good, arm strength rated a 75 while accuracy a 54.

4. Garrett Jones - 75 rating. Good power and contact vs. right handers, but the power drops by 20 points against lefties, and contact is even worse against lefties. Pretty accurate I would say. He did get a 74 fielding rating, which I thought was a little high for his first base skills.

5. Pedro Alvarez - 75 rating. Same overall rating as Jones, but the power vs. both righties and lefties is better. 83 vs. rhp 61 vs. lhp. Contact is average vs righties and bad vs. lefties. Fielding only rated a 59 at third base. But like Marte, he's got an 'A' potential rating, so some of his ratings will go up as you play the game and develop him a little.

6. Gaby Sanchez (DH) - 78 rating. Oddly rated higher than both Alvarez/Jones. His contact vs. lhp is way up there at 80 and power vs. lhp 60. I really don't agree with it. I get that he did hit lefties much better, but he didn't hit much of anything vs. anyone last season.

7. Russell Martin - 84 rating. Solid contact ratings, good power ratings, 71 vs lhp. Fielding/arm ratings are well above average too. Second highest rated player in our lineup.

8. Travis Snider - 76 rating. This one seems a little goofy, as it has his power/contact both better against lhp than rhp. Don't know if I buy that. His durability rating is only a 73, most starting lineup players is at least an 88 or higher. It means he'll miss games with fatigue or injury.

9. Clint Barmes - 73 rating. Oddly enough, his contact ratings are 51 vs. rhp and 64 vs. lhp. And his plate vision rating (usually translates to how often you make contact) is a 70. This could translate to a batting average of .280 or higher in the game, for Clint Barmes of all people. Fielding is only a 55, but is arm is rated high and his reaction time is rated 80, which means he'll make some errors but he'll also make some big plays.

Fourth OF : Jose Tabata - 69 rating. They gave him good contact vs. rhp and lhp, but weak power vs. both. 80 plate vision, which is very high and means a lot of contact. 77 speed. 'B' Potential rating, which means he'll develop more as you play with him, but not as much as an 'A', which he was rated in last years game.

Rotation

1. AJ Burnett - 84 rating. His K/9 rating is a 66, pretty solid. And his BB/9 rating is a 64, also good. His best pitch in the game is his curveball (listed as a knuckle-curve) coming in at 82 mph average and has an 87 break rating. Because of his age, his ratings will likely drop a bit by next season. I simulated one season and Roy Halladay's overall rating dropped by about 7 points because of his age decline, for example.

2. Charlie Morton (in the default lineup as our number 2 starter, it'll be updated before opening day) - 76 rating. Best pitch is his 2 seamer or his curveball.

3. Wandy Rodriguez - 87 rating. He's our highest rated pitcher in the game. His control is rated a bit better than AJ Burnett's, which is why he probably edged him out. Best rated pitch is his curveball, though his cutter is close behind.

4. Francisco Liriano (same deal as Morton) - 83 rating. His K/9 rating is a 77, which is pretty good. Slider is the best rated pitch, averaging at 86 MPH with an 85 rated break and good control.

5. James McDonald - 81 rating. His best overall pitch in terms of velocity/control is his fastball, averaging 93 MPH. But his slider and curveball are both rated with a 90 break, which is very high.

Listed as AAA for the game, but notable (only a few actual AAA players make the game outside of the uploaded/created rosters)

Kyle McPherson - 74 rating. Gave him solid control and his fastball is rated good, averaging at 93 MPH.

Jeff Locke - 71 rating. Gave him pretty average ratings all around, the only above average standouts were the control of his breaking and off speed pitches.

Bullpen Notables

Tony Watson - 82 rating. Gave him good K/9 and H/9 ratings.

Jared Hughes - 81 rating.

Mark Melancon - 81 rating.

Jason Grilli - 91 rating. Second highest rated player on the team. K/9 is rated an 87, and his H/9 and Pitching Clutch are both in the 80's. They gave him a slurve, which is his best pitch and has a 98 break rating.

That's about all I feel like listing, if anyone has any requests I'll be happy to post them. Though keep in mind, most prospects are not officially in the game, and won't be uploaded by the independent parties until around Opening Day. Hope you enjoy seeing how the video game world rated our players, I feel they were pretty accurate for the most part, not too many head scratchers.

Post subject: Re: Pirates MLB The Show 13 Ratings for those interested
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:18 pm 

Nothing to add, since I don't play, but welcome to the Boards!!! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

They rated all the Bucs pretty bad (well, offensively...they were kind to the pitching staff) except for Cutch, who is pumped up because he's on the cover.

But I like to do a fantasy draft, so it doesn't really matter to me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

Welcome aboard!

Gaby being ranked above Pedro is a tad shocking, but Snider being better... wow. Those K's and bad contact rate must be the reason.

Also, Wandy > A.J.?!

The most important question: Does Pedro wear his hat over his ears in the game??? :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:28 am 

Naturally there was a MLB '13- The Show ad at the bottom of this thread for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Welcome aboard!

Gaby being ranked above Pedro is a tad shocking, but Snider being better... wow. Those K's and bad contact rate must be the reason.

Also, Wandy > A.J.?!

The most important question: Does Pedro wear his hat over his ears in the game??? :D

Not over his ears, but there is the option of making the cap brim style flat, which Pedro has by default in the game.

Snider being rated higher is weird, because his ratings aren't really that much better than Pedro's anywhere. His contact rating vs. rhp is worse than Pedro's, but vs. lhp it's much better. But his power is significantly lower than Pedro's, so I'm not sure how he balanced out to a higher rating. Plate vision is an indicator of how often they'll make contact in the game, while plate discipline is how often they'll walk, those are the two plate stats. And Snider isn't rated any better than Pedro in either, his discipline is significantly lower, even.

Gaby Sanchez is the weirdest one though, I think. Sometimes the game does that though, they'll overrate a players ratings based off of some past success while ignoring the previous season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:25 pm 

Snider crushed lefties last season , though it was a small sample size. .364 avg, .382 obp, .727 slg. 3 doubles, 3 HR's in 34 plate appearances.

That would probably explain Snider.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

If you do platoon splits in this game, you can get some huge results from guys rated in the low 70s or so. You can make stars out of guys like Chris Heisey and Mark Reynolds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:51 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Gaby Sanchez is the weirdest one though, I think. Sometimes the game does that though, they'll overrate a players ratings based off of some past success while ignoring the previous season.

And how! :D

How's the game play of the newest MLB The Show? Same as 12 or any new 'wrinkles'?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:44 pm 

If you played it in the past, you'll be able to pick it up no problem. The hitting is a little easier. And they classify hitters now as extreme pull, pull, balance, push, etc. Fielding is more fluid. Pitching is about the same.

I'm still trying to tweak the settings/sliders to find the right balance of everything for me, but it's been fun so far. I downloaded a Cole and Taillon create-a-players from the Player Vault, and both started the season with around 80 ratings, Cole was up to about 88 by the All-Star break through his development and became the highest rated pitcher on the team. While Grilli/Burnett both declined hard in ratings and finished the season with ratings under 80. Could be a sign of things to come ;)

Oh, and I traded Garrett Jones straight up for Justin Smoak. But he's kind of sucked for me. Weird how Pedro was being called the biggest bust of that draft, when he's been as good or better than Smoak and Hosmer.