Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates sign Indian prospects
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:40 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The report here said the righty threw 90 and the lefty 84. I got a kid in my house who sits at 86 and hits 88. Never got a sniff at this point. Maybe I should change his name to Akbar. LOL

Scouts who watched them throw said that they would have been drafted somewhere between the 12th and 30th rounds if they were Americans. They must have some potential.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:33 am 

whats next?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 am 

How long before they throw their arms out?!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 am 

Scouting reports on Harold and Kumar

http://eastwindupchronicle.com/scouting-reports-on-rinku-singh-and-dinesh-patel/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:11 am 

Rumor has it that they gave up their jobs from the help call desk in the IT Department for Expedia.com. Gosh, now we have outsourced our pitching staff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 am 

What, no Apu jokes?

I realize some of you regard this as a Bill Veeck-style PR stunt, but that doesn't justify some of the borderline-bigotry that's started to emerge in this thread.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:01 pm 

Please...................................

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:33 pm 

I don't view this as a publicity stunt in no way. I am actually very pleased that our FO is willing to look for buried treasure. It shows me rthe willingness to do whatever it takes to enhance this ballclub. I love that we signed both of these guys before anyone else did. Frankly, like a post on another site said, "if the Redsox would have signed them, this would be a front page story that would give kudos to the Redsox FO staff for leading the way."

Unfortunately we are met with jokes and ridicule. I'd love to see one or both of these guys make it to the show, just to piss off all those that decided to pass on them.

Another thing, from my experience, it sometimes is better to have an individual with raw talent as opposed to a player that has been coached his entire life by hacks. That's probably the reason it takes guys so long to reach the Majors, the team has to de-program them and then re-program them. Singh and Patel will be like a bright white canvas.

Don't get upset LtCol, pleasing certain Pirate fans is like pleasing your wife in the midst of her cycle. Always bitchy and never knows what they actualy want, and nothing is ever good enough!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:35 pm 

No offense to any women on this board, my wife actually told me thats how she feels sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He would sign for what they got. He wants to play. Money still not a ruling factor in his life. Other than of course, spending as much of mine before he leaves on his own accord...

When he read it in the paper today he texted me...he wrote "That is a disgrace."

D Backs scorer that I have lunch with every day, laughed. He called it a PR stunt. I agree.

What a joke.

And yet bot the Yanks and Red Sox, among others were in line to sign them up.

How is spending $40K in bonuses for guys with potential, a disgrace?

Ah well, the same was said when teams signed the first Japanese and Korean players as well.

Not to mention the grief St. Louis took signing, then playing Kurt Warner from the Arena League.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:35 pm 

I wonder how much ridicule the first major league team to sign a Dominican player took, or a Japanese or Korean player? Has anyone considered that this might be more about opening up a supply line to an untapped resource than it is about giving two kids a few thousand bucks?

Why do you think every Japanese player wants to play for the Yankees and BoSox and Dodgers? Because they invested there first. Why did the Pirates USE TO HAVE such a connection to the Dominican? Because we invested there first. (Now, of course, we have to re-establish ourselves there). Why do you think the Pirates signed Kuwata? To win a pennant or win some influence?

Sure, the big clubs have a great advantage because they can throw more money at the top talent. But don't overlook the influence of being the first team to invest in an area. Will these two kids make it? Probably not. Does Hunnington know the long odds of them making it? Probably so. Are there a whole lot more kids in India picking up baseballs and wearing Pirate hats today? You betcha.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:57 pm 

I would not have a problem with signing a guy from the antarctic if he could pitch. I could name ten HS pitchers who are more advanced than these two guys. This workout was drummed up by the agent looking to cash in. Scouts will take a flyer. They will look at anyone when an agent calls. If these guys have such an upside why were we not outbid by someone else? A 19 year old lefty who throws a fastball between 77 and 84? IF he was American he would be picked between the 12th and 30th round? Give me a break. Those guys drafted later must really suck.

I will admit that this strikes a tender nerve in my house.

'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:28 pm 

AZ you are rightfully upset, any father that has a successful baseball playing son like yours should view this as a "whats these guys got that my kid don't" attitude. I would if I had a son like yours. So angry comments from you are well warrented.

I really hope your son gets his shot.

PF13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:00 pm 
I can only imagine the uproar if posters made similar "jokes" about the Pirates signing black players as some of these posts about these Indian players. Then again, the uproar would probably depend on WHO posted the "jokes" because this is the board of selective objectivity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:44 pm 

All I can say is that if they start signing midgets to pinch hit, I am officially out of here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:54 pm 

Little People, Big Leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:50 pm 

AZ....I HOPE you understand I wasn't defending this signing as being a smarter baseball move than signing the many kids like yours who have dedicated themselves to the game since Little League.

I think this mostly IS a publicity stunt...but it could be a smart publicity stunt if it gives the Pirates an advantage in an untapped area.

You and I go back WAY too far to even think I hope nothing but the best for your son. I have followed his progression as much as I have many of my own players. Every time I see the kid (young man now) who you sent the shirt to when he was recovering, he mentions how much that meant to him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:21 pm 

Bertie wrote:
How long before they throw their arms out?!

I don't know, Bertie. It seems to me that they have a big advantage over Americans in that respect. They have a lot less miles on their arms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:26 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would not have a problem with signing a guy from the antarctic if he could pitch. I could name ten HS pitchers who are more advanced than these two guys. This workout was drummed up by the agent looking to cash in. Scouts will take a flyer. They will look at anyone when an agent calls. If these guys have such an upside why were we not outbid by someone else? A 19 year old lefty who throws a fastball between 77 and 84? IF he was American he would be picked between the 12th and 30th round? Give me a break. Those guys drafted later must really suck.

I will admit that this strikes a tender nerve in my house.

'Nuff said.

AZ, I don't think that these signings were about finding major league pitchers. What it comes down to is that there is a country of 1.1 billion people, and the only baseball team that any of them can name is the Pittsburgh Pirates. That could pay big dividends down the road, and it only cost $40k to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:33 pm 

Not at all Brad. How is that young man doing? Is he ok?