Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates sign Indian prospects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 pm 

The subcontinent, that is.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2008/11/non-n ... s/#content

The yahoo Japan article linked to in the above is unfortunately in Japanese, but here's a write-up about the two from USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball ... hers_N.htm

Who knows if cricket skills are translatable to baseball, but I've always thought it was just a matter of time before a club took a shot to find out. Nice to see the Pirates taking the lead on this.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Pirates sign Indian prospects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:12 pm 

Oh my! Why does this remind me of when the Condors signed Charlie "Helicopter" Hentz because he could jump out of a gym. Unfortunately, he couldn't shoot, catch or handle the ball at all and was out of the ABA very quickly.

Condors?
Pirates?
Jeez.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Oh my! Why does this remind me of when the Condors signed Charlie "Helicopter" Hentz because he could jump out of a gym. Unfortunately, he couldn't shoot, catch or handle the ball at all and was out of the ABA very quickly.

Condors?
Pirates?
Jeez.

How does Hentz's failure at basketball correlate to the potential for a cricket player to play baseball?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Condors?
Pirates?
Jeez.

Always nice to see a Condors reference. Makes me feel young again.

The fact that Hentz couldn't shoot, catch or handle the ball didn't scare off the Condors because they had a whole roster of guys who couldn't shoot, catch or handle the ball. :lol:

Somebody should make a movie about the Condors, but, then again, nobody would believe that it was a true story.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/Pittsburgh-Condors.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Condors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 am 

They're young and have not had Little Coaches to teach them the flaws that many of high school and college players have coming into the Professional ranks...

Why not? Pitching is key...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 am 

I realize I am opening myself up for ridicule if you were just pulling on our lariats, but wasn't there a movie about the Pipers called the Fish that saved Pittsburgh?

Also, in response to Wilton, I think it is a very fair correlation. This player had certain skills that are useful in basketball, but he was not a basketball player. Cricket players have certain skills that may translate to an ability that lend itself to certain facets of playing baseball, but that doesn't make them baseball players.

Secondly, the overwhelming evidence that no cricket player has ever become a major league baseball player establishes precedence for AZ's postulate.

Thirdly, I think AZ was just making a light-hearted comparison intended to conjour up fond recollections of that other hapless Pittsburgh franchise.

I'm no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 am 

Saw this on ESPN, how embarrassing.

I heard Coonelly and Huntington are going to be holding tryouts next weekend at Allegheny County Prison, they're apparently looking for the next Rick Vaughn.

Heckuva start to offseason acquisitions fellas.

http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 am 

What a joke!. A lefty who has never played the game who throws 84. I smell publicity stunt. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 am 

And yes the Condors were bad. Particularly bad on the defensive end of the court. The best part of attending a Condor game was being able to hear the conversations of the players during the game due to the fact that there were only about 500 people in the Civic Arena. They had some real characters on that team starting with John Brisker, the Ugandan mercenary who would hoist it up about 30 times a game. Harley "Skeeter" Swift? George "Machine gun" Thompson? Mike Lewis? Ah the ;memories.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 pm 
Az Bucco fan wrote:
What a joke!. A lefty who has never played the game who throws 84. I smell publicity stunt. LOL

Totally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Um, the report said 87-90 for one, and 91-92 for the other. Consistantly. Once they had some tutoring in the US.

Geez, you want the Pirates out scouting for new talent, then give them grief when they do something outside the box.

Who the hell cares if these guys don't make it. It cost 19 and 21K in bonus' for these guys, and scouts rave at how hard they throw, given their complete inexperience with baseball mechanics.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 pm 

The report here said the righty threw 90 and the lefty 84. I got a kid in my house who sits at 86 and hits 88. Never got a sniff at this point. Maybe I should change his name to Akbar. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

There's an Al Jolson joke in there somewhere's.

There were a couple differant links. The scouts seem to like their growth potential though.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:47 pm 

I dont see what the problem is giving these guys a try...they're raw talent that has not been abused by Little League dads and other coaches who do not know what the hell they are talking about...Given some time they might be alright, if not it wasnt like wasting a 1st round draft pick on them...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:39 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The report here said the righty threw 90 and the lefty 84. I got a kid in my house who sits at 86 and hits 88. Never got a sniff at this point. Maybe I should change his name to Akbar. LOL

That's because your kid is not going to play for the peanuts the Pirates paid these two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:55 pm 

What's wrong with trying something different? Probably won't work out but there is always that maybe. Raw talent that is cheap, is worthy of a chance.

Wonder why Boras has become their agent. Is he also wasting his time or pulling a stunt?

I say good-- go for it. Bring some more thinking out of the regulation box.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 pm 
Substitute2 wrote:
What's wrong with trying something different? Probably won't work out but there is always that maybe. Raw talent that is cheap, is worthy of a chance.

Wonder why Boras has become their agent. Is he also wasting his time or pulling a stunt?

I say bring in as many talented players as possible at every position. If they don't work out, oh well. It's not like there's a ton invested in them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

Quote:
Huntington said Patel and Singh, who are represented by agent Jeff Booris, will report to the Pirates' spring training facility in Bradenton, Fla., in late January.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08330/930514-63.stm

not Boras, Borris...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:27 pm 

He would sign for what they got. He wants to play. Money still not a ruling factor in his life. Other than of course, spending as much of mine before he leaves on his own accord...

When he read it in the paper today he texted me...he wrote "That is a disgrace."

D Backs scorer that I have lunch with every day, laughed. He called it a PR stunt. I agree.

What a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:34 pm 

My mistake Dan. Thanks for pointing it out.