Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Positive Pirate ST Sighting...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 am 

Pedro is wearing his Pirate baseball cap ABOVE his ears....YAY! :D

Post subject: Re: A Positive Pirate ST Sighting...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Still walked Waaayyy around the fans to avoid autographs.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:52 am 

I think his hat is in the same spot; he is just 2" shorter than last season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The sound of this hit is also a positive Pedro Alvarez spring training moment.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 7&c_id=mlb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm 

I loved the sound of that hit so much that night that I called my son to the room and played it for him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm 

Seriously- the hardest hit ball I've seen in quite a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:09 pm 

Making contact like that a bit more frequently is the next step.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

doug frobel wrote:
Seriously- the hardest hit ball I've seen in quite a while.

I'm trying to figure out how to make it my text sound.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 am 

Does Pedro take Spring Training seriously at all? I think he should start. Performing pitifully in Spring, and then being near-useless the first two months of the season isn't helping us any. Especially when there's so much untapped potential there. If he performed even mediocre at the start of last year, he'd of hit 40 HR's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:23 am 

This is what really concerns me about him. If he can't avoid the horrific cold stretches he endures, it will really hurt us as a team, not to mention his worth and numbers. I really think he needs to be a complimentary bat in a lineup rather than a feature bat. All the more reason to ante up for Stanton. Getting him in there along with Cutch would boost Pedro's production significantly, IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 am 

As much as I would love to see Stanton in Pittsburgh, we can't afford it. We simply don't have the pitching to give up. We absolutely need Taillon/Cole if we ever want to be a legit playoff contender in the next 5 years, and at least one of them would have to go in that kind of trade.

I don't want to claim Pedro is lazy or anything, since all reports about his work ethic from past coaches/scouts that I've read, praise him that regard, but his MLB numbers haven't measured up very well to his career. I feel like he's been adjusting for 3 years now. But watching him, you see that he totally has that swing WHEN he has it. Almost Prince Fielder-ish. He has the power without question, and he seems to have the tools, he just hasn't used them to his full potential. I just hate this "slow starter" excuse. I hate it for every player. You have pretty significant time to get ready or get in the zone or whatever you want to call it, for the regular season. You shouldn't be starting that amazingly slow every year, because eventually it is going to boil down to you just being lazy. If you can be not-terrible in July, why can you be not-terrible in April? Doesn't mean you have to play like an All-Star at the start, it just means you don't have to play HORRIBLE.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Leway512 wrote:
Does Pedro take Spring Training seriously at all? I think he should start. Performing pitifully in Spring, and then being near-useless the first two months of the season isn't helping us any. Especially when there's so much untapped potential there. If he performed even mediocre at the start of last year, he'd of hit 40 HR's.

He hit 5 HRs in April and 3 in May. Do you think he should have hit 10 and 8, making them his two highest HR months? Not saying he didn't start slow, as he sucked everywhere else, but he was still hitting homers when he made contact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
I don't want to claim Pedro is lazy or anything, since all reports about his work ethic from past coaches/scouts that I've read, praise him that regard, but his MLB numbers haven't measured up very well to his career. I feel like he's been adjusting for 3 years now. But watching him, you see that he totally has that swing WHEN he has it. Almost Prince Fielder-ish. He has the power without question, and he seems to have the tools, he just hasn't used them to his full potential. I just hate this "slow starter" excuse. I hate it for every player. You have pretty significant time to get ready or get in the zone or whatever you want to call it, for the regular season. You shouldn't be starting that amazingly slow every year, because eventually it is going to boil down to you just being lazy. If you can be not-terrible in July, why can you be not-terrible in April? Doesn't mean you have to play like an All-Star at the start, it just means you don't have to play HORRIBLE.

Last year was his first full, complete healthy season in the majors. I don't think it's accurate to label him a "slow starter" already as in the case of say an Adam LaRoche who has an eery, extremely consistent multi-year track record of starting slow the first few months and then like clockwork turning it around into great numbers at a certain point. Alvarez started slow before heating up as a rookie, but he was a rookie and that's fairly common. He started slow last year but then again he was already "slow" prior to the season starting since the previous year (where he was also either injured or spent a good chunk in the minors) he was a disaster at the plate all year and that was just a continuation of that before he turned it around and starting playing well and hitting 30 HRs.

As far as spring training goes and making the assumption that he isn't taking it seriously because he's struggling, well, why stop there? The MVP-calibur centerfielder is only hitting slightly better than Alvarez. It's spring training, don't take the numbers that seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:38 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
As much as I would love to see Stanton in Pittsburgh, we can't afford it. We simply don't have the pitching to give up. We absolutely need Taillon/Cole if we ever want to be a legit playoff contender in the next 5 years, and at least one of them would have to go in that kind of trade.

I wonder if he can't be had without giving up either of those two. I'd propose a package of Marte, McPherson, Heredia, and one of Sands, Presley, or Tabata. That's a pretty good return, and sets us up as a playoff contender for the next several years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:19 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

I wonder if he can't be had without giving up either of those two. I'd propose a package of Marte, McPherson, Heredia, and one of Sands, Presley, or Tabata. That's a pretty good return, and sets us up as a playoff contender for the next several years.

That package would not even be close. It will take a top young ML talent like Marte, plus Taillon, plus another two top prospects.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:32 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

He hit 5 HRs in April and 3 in May. Do you think he should have hit 10 and 8, making them his two highest HR months? Not saying he didn't start slow, as he sucked everywhere else, but he was still hitting homers when he made contact.

It was still below mediocre as a whole for your best power hitter.

The "slow starter" label has been on him since he was called up. I wasn't saying whether he was or wasn't, I really don't know, I was just stating that I hate it as an excuse for any player.