The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board
http://pittsburghsports.net/

Buccos vs Sox today
http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10483
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Buccos vs Sox today

The Pirates are going with their big boy lineup against Jon Lester and a AAA Red Sox lineup. It would be nice to see some offense today.

1. Marte 7
2. Snider 9
3. McCutchen 8
4. Alvarez 5
5. Walker 4
6. Jones 3
7. Inge DH
8. McKenry 2
9. Barmes 6
Locke LHP

Scheduled to pitch: Jonathan Sanchez, Phil Irwin, Jared Hughes, Vin Mazzaro, Kyle Waldrop, Bryan Morris

Author:  JollyRoger [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Phil Irwin, Jared Hughes

Read through this quickly and saw this as Phil Hughes. Now THAT would give us a formidable rotation.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Barrys Dopers wrote:
It would be nice to see some offense today.


Marte with a lead-off triple, comes home on a groundout in the first.

So I take it that Holt is competing with Ciriaco for a bench spot for the Sox? I always preferred Mercer as the two were kind of the same guy in the minors, but I'll be rooting for Holt.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Locke was an out away from being perfect through 3 innings - gave up a single, walked Holt, and a RBI double by Gomes ties it 1-1.

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
It would be nice to see some offense today.


Marte with a lead-off triple, comes home on a groundout in the first.

So I take it that Holt is competing with Ciriaco for a bench spot for the Sox? I always preferred Mercer as the two were kind of the same guy in the minors, but I'll be rooting for Holt.


I think they both have a good shot to make the bench. The have four spots for Nava, D.Ross, Carp, Holt, and Ciriaco. Talk about a weak bench.

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Barrys Dopers wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
It would be nice to see some offense today.


Marte with a lead-off triple, comes home on a groundout in the first.

So I take it that Holt is competing with Ciriaco for a bench spot for the Sox? I always preferred Mercer as the two were kind of the same guy in the minors, but I'll be rooting for Holt.


I think they both have a good shot to make the bench. The have four spots for Nava, D.Ross, Carp, Holt, and Ciriaco. Talk about a weak bench.


I take it back, they probably are looking at 1 spot. The Sox also have Sweeney and Overbay in camp, Drew Sutton too. Not sure why they think our sucktastic bench castoffs are a good idea.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Pirates jump out to 6-1 lead ...

Sox loaded the bases in the 4th, RBI single from McCutchen and sac fly by Alvarez.

Barmes sac fly in the 6h (to score McKenry who doubled), followed by RBI double by Tabata and single by Hawpe.

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

How was the contact on Alvarez'z sac fly? I've seen him do nothing but hit dribbers so far this spring.

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Also, nice to see Starling Marte take a walk. On four pitches, but still!

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
How was the contact on Alvarez'z sac fly? I've seen him do nothing but hit dribbers so far this spring.


Only following on Gameday so I couldn't tell you. He isn't striking out much so far, so that I'm pleased with.

If ST was a trial for Jonathan Sanchez to have any shot of making the team at all, those chances are fading pretty quickly. Another awful outing today, gets two outs after giving up a lead-off double but then loads the bases before being pulled.

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

TheShark wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
How was the contact on Alvarez'z sac fly? I've seen him do nothing but hit dribbers so far this spring.


Only following on Gameday so I couldn't tell you. He isn't striking out much so far, so that I'm pleased with.

If ST was a trial for Jonathan Sanchez to have any shot of making the team at all, those chances are fading pretty quickly. Another awful outing today, gets two outs after giving up a lead-off double but then loads the bases before being pulled.


Yeah J.Sanchez is toast, but it was a no risk proposition.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

So Jared Goedert is having a pretty solid spring.

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

TheShark wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
How was the contact on Alvarez'z sac fly? I've seen him do nothing but hit dribbers so far this spring.


Only following on Gameday so I couldn't tell you. He isn't striking out much so far, so that I'm pleased with.

If ST was a trial for Jonathan Sanchez to have any shot of making the team at all, those chances are fading pretty quickly. Another awful outing today, gets two outs after giving up a lead-off double but then loads the bases before being pulled.



Ahhh. Got it.

I am with you on the strikeouts and almost said that, but the lack of solid contact has been a bit concerning (I haven't watched much so that could just be anecdotal).

Did Sanchez have any real shot to begin with?

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Who is this Goedert guy who's been raking?

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Who is this Goedert guy who's been raking?


Former Indians prospect who has some power and a AAAA tag -

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... eder001jar

He plays CI and corner OF, but was never ranked in their top 30 best I can tell.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

The Pirates snatched him up the day he became a FA, maybe there was a Huntington connection since he came from the Cleveland organization (pure speculation on my part). The fact that he is playing third in the spring probably gives him some value as the likes of Inge or Harrison are certainly no locks as bench options, plus he's not stuck in an overpopulated 1B situation at AAA, with Curry, Robinson, Sands, and Hague clearing waivers. Obviously some of those guys though (Sands) will be in the OF rather than first.

Author:  SUPERCHARGED APE [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Who is this Goedert guy who's been raking?


Former Indians prospect who has some power and a AAAA tag -

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... eder001jar

He plays CI and corner OF, but was never ranked in their top 30 best I can tell.



Doesn't have any major league experience. He should have to fail at that before getting the official quad A tag!

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

So, Tabata keeps on hitting while Snider keeps on K'ing. Three weeks of camp left, its getting interesting.

Author:  Willton [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Also, nice to see Starling Marte take a walk. On four pitches, but still!

If you're basing that on your view of Gameday, then you've likely been misled. Gameday does not track each and every pitch during spring training; it only covers results. As a result, every strikeout looks like a 3-pitch strikeout; every walk looks like a 4-pitch walk; and every batted ball in play looks as if the batter swung on the first pitch.

Author:  TheShark [ Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Buccos vs Sox today

Willton wrote:
If you're basing that on your view of Gameday, then you've likely been misled. Gameday does not track each and every pitch during spring training; it only covers results. As a result, every strikeout looks like a 3-pitch strikeout; every walk looks like a 4-pitch walk; and every batted ball in play looks as if the batter swung on the first pitch.


Not true. If you switch the option right under the Gameday screen with the silhouette of the batter from the default "Play-by-play" setting to "Pitch by pitch", it tracks every pitches and correctly identifies the pitch location and strikes/balls (granted, given that it is Spring Training, it does tend to lag and isn't always particularly timely and sharp, but it's there nonetheless). Likewise you can click on the archived AB after it takes place and it will show the pitches, i.e. click on "McCutchen lines out to left fielder" and it will show the pitches in the AB.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/