Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (ST) Pirates vs. Phillies 3/4/13
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:02 pm 

Burnett chased after just 1.1 IP ... he walked in back-to-back runs then gave up a RBI single to get yanked (he also hit a batter in the inning). Poor SP outings have sure been frustrating thus far this spring. Then, Kris Johnson replaced Burnett and ... wait for it ... walked in another run. And we almost got the fourth walked in run of the inning, as he ran up a full count on Ryan Howard before he struck out on a foul tip. Amazing that they only got out of that inning giving up 4 runs.

Snider hit a ground-rule double as he stays hot.

Post subject: Re: (ST) Pirates vs. Phillies 3/4/13
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 pm 

Please try to keep in mind that these are merely exhibition games and that the players, particularly the established ones and even more particularly the established pitchers, are not playing at full effort. Most of them are just trying to get back into the swing of things, and some pitchers are toying with new pitches. The best way to measure spring training is through the more scouty meta things, like how well a pitcher's pitches are breaking, how a particular hitter's swing looks, and other such things that I'm not good at identifying. As I've said in the past, spring training stats mean nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm 

Oh you don't need to give me the spring training speech, I'm obviously aware and don't put much of any stock in any statistics or serious evaluations. I was merely saying what happened in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:58 pm 

It is disturbing to see so many walks and so many losses. Of course they don't count and are not predictors of regular season performance. But still I'd rather be seeing scoreless innings and victories.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:04 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
It is disturbing to see so many walks and so many losses. Of course they don't count and are not predictors of regular season performance. But still I'd rather be seeing scoreless innings and victories.

Yeah, you'd just as soon not get 1 hit, but we did have a lot of AAA guys in today. Marte, Gaby, Snider, and Martin were the regulars today and went 1 for 9.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Quotes from AJ (wonder if he would have felt the same if he had won - prob not)

The Pittsburgh Pirates ace, preparing for an opening-day start against the Chicago Cubs, walked in a pair of runs in a four-run second during a 5-0 loss, giving up four runs, four hits and the two walks.

"All I'm worried about is April 1 and building up to that date," Burnett said.

Burnett issued consecutive walks to Humberto Quintero and Ben Revere that forced in two runs. Later in the inning, Chase Utley worked reliever Kris Johnson for another bases-loaded walk.

"Walking guys with the bases loaded at this point in the spring doesn't bother me because I was trying to be aggressive in that situation," Burnett said. "Any time you take the mound you want to do well, but it's spring training and results really don't matter. The whole idea is to just to get your work in and keep building up arm strength for the regular season."

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.