Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report: March 3, 2013
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm 

I attended the game today in frigid Bradenton. Here are some thoughts on the action:

1. I bought my tickets for today's game several days back. We were able to get great seats for below face value on Stubhub and were excited by that. Perhaps the unattractive opponent and forecast for cold weather were the factors for the dip in the ticket market?

2. Despite the above factors, we probably overpaid for our tickets for today's game. It was very cold by Florida standards. I have lived in Florida for nearly nine years and this is the coldest sporting event that I have ever attended down here. The high temperature was in the low 50s with a steady wind. It was overcast with the sun peaking through the clouds in the later innings.

3. I have attended games at McKechnie for years and today was, by far, the poorest attended game that I have ever attended. While the announced attendance was 4K+, there were 2,500 folks in attendance at best.

4. The ballpark folks were having fun with the cold temps. The roving venders were advertising "warm beer" and the PA announcer told the crowd that hot coffee would be available throughout the game. The PA announcer also reminded folks that the high in Pittsburgh for today is 28 with light snow. That made us feel better.

5. Onto the game action: Nice clutch hits by Tabata and Walker. Hopefully, it's a taste of things to come in the coming season.

6. Cutch got thrown out attempting to steal a base. He was out by 15-20 feet and should have never tried to steal.

7. Sanchez looked good behind the plate today, throwing out a runner attempting to steal and not embarrassing himself.

8. Speaking of Sanchez, one of my friends who attended the game with me today is a BC alumnus. Out in the bullpen before the game, my friend yelled something to the effect of "BC, Class of 2004." Sanchez looked up and yelled something to the effect of "BC, didn't graduate." My buddy got a kick out of that.

9. McPherson's line looks a lot worse than it was. While he didn't look overpowering, his stats were effected by a misplayed popup by Barmes. He should have caught the ball, but it landed about a foot or two away from him. The ball may have been effected by the wind, but it led to some two out runs by Houston.

10. I was surprised to see Grilli pitching early in the game. I thought that he would have been brought in to pitch in later innings. I also thought that he was pitching in the WBC, so I thought that he had left camp.

11. After the fifth inning, my friends and I moved to the boardwalk in the outfield. It was warmer and less windy out there. The tiki bar in centerfield is a great touch to the ballpark and the boardwalk gives us a great view of the bullpens.

12. We were in left field when Harrison was playing. He was joking with the fans and was surrounded by seagulls for most of his playing time.

13. The seagulls were in abundance from about the second inning on. By the end of the game, they may have outnumbered the fans in the stands.

14. Prior to the game, my friends and I had discussed how we weren't aware of any current Astros players. When we got to the ballpark, the lineups were posted and the only player that I had heard of on Houston's roster is Robbie Grossman.

15. Despite the fact that this was a Spring Training game, it's always nice to win.

As of now, my next game will likely be on March 21st in Sarasota, but that is subject to change. Go Bucs!

Post subject: Re: Game Report: March 3, 2013
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Nice report. I don;t go to many day ST games because of work and I am glad I missed this one for the cold temps.
Yeah Grossman was a Marauder so I knew him but the others..??

Yeah I think ST attendance is way down this year and not sure why. The Yankees on 3/17 is the only sold out game. Even the red ox and Rays games have not been sold out.

I am going to the 3/5 World Baseball Classic game and then the night game on 3/8 and the game on Sat 3/9 - will take/post pictures from them.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
10. I was surprised to see Grilli pitching early in the game. I thought that he would have been brought in to pitch in later innings. I also thought that he was pitching in the WBC, so I thought that he had left camp.

He left for the WBC after the game (or perhaps right after he pitched, hence his early appearing) - the team Tweeted a picture of him leaving.

And yeah, I know the Astros are terrible and all but you guys must not have payed very much attention the numerous times the Pirates played them the last few years to not recognize some of those names who have frequently been in their line-up - Wallace, Martinez, Corporan.

Alas, as I say that, I just realized that I had no idea that they had went back to their original color scheme and logo and hired Bo Porter as manager in the off-season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 am 

TheShark wrote:

He left for the WBC after the game (or perhaps right after he pitched, hence his early appearing) - the team Tweeted a picture of him leaving.

And yeah, I know the Astros are terrible and all but you guys must not have payed very much attention the numerous times the Pirates played them the last few years to not recognize some of those names who have frequently been in their line-up - Wallace, Martinez, Corporan.

Alas, as I say that, I just realized that I had no idea that they had went back to their original color scheme and logo and hired Bo Porter as manager in the off-season.

They still have Altuve, don't they? Little second baseman about 5'6"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:02 am 

Nice write up!

Closers usually pitch the 5th or 6th inning in spring training because they want them to face MLB hitters not minor league guys that come in during the final few frames.