Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 30 for 30: The T206 Honus Wagner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 pm 

Interesting short on the most famous card of all time.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/899 ... ary-series

The documentary raises more questions, just to me, a layman, than it answers. There's a voice over at the beginning, saying something to the effect of: Wayne Gretzy wants to know where his money is. Seems like he got paid for the card when he sold it, so I have no idea what this refers to, and I don't have time to look any further.

Post subject: Re: 30 for 30: The T206 Honus Wagner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm 

val wrote:
The documentary raises more questions, just to me, a layman, than it answers. There's a voice over at the beginning, saying something to the effect of: Wayne Gretzy wants to know where his money is. Seems like he got paid for the card when he sold it, so I have no idea what this refers to, and I don't have time to look any further.

I'm guessing they're talking about the Mastro investigation and potentially paying way more than they "should have" for the card.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am 

JollyRoger wrote:
val wrote:

I'm guessing they're talking about the Mastro investigation and potentially paying way more than they "should have" for the card.

Yeah, but Gretzky still made more than he paid when he sold the card.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 am 

I found the film to be pretty poorly done. Since when is Keith Olbermann and expert on the trading card business? They basically have him state as fact that the card was trimmed. They then led the viewer to believe that PSA spent 1 minute grading the card based on averages. Come on, this card got a lot more attention than that and you can choose to challenge their grades if you are unsatisfied. They really try to make PSA look dirty, but their reputation is sterling. PSA had little to gain by faking the grade, they would have had even more press if they said it was altered. I understand the skepticism, but the feds will require some concrete proof to have any case.

At any rate the T206 Wagner is the stuff of legend. There is another highly controversial specimen out there too, the one that appears to have the correct back but maybe a fake front? That said the two guys who are trying to sell it lack the sophistication or high end equipment to make such a good fake. They claim the whole issue is due to them being black, playing the race card.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:56 pm 

Well Keith Oberman is quite knowledgeable in the field of trading cards....really.... 8-)