Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates 40-man
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 am 

Added Neil Walker, Jose Tabata, Steve Lerud, Jeff Sues, Ronald Uviedo.

Not added (Rule 5) Jamie Romak, Brad Corley, Jason Delaney

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08326/929672-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Pirates 40-man
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 am 

Would much rather have kept Romak and Corley on the 40 man. Especially Romak. Doesn't make much sense to me. Never heard of Lerud, but just by a glance at his numbers, I'm not seeing anything that would justifying keeping to give up on a potential power bat like Romak.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:46 am 

omgardd wrote:
Would much rather have kept Romak and Corley on the 40 man. Especially Romak. Doesn't make much sense to me. Never heard of Lerud, but just by a glance at his numbers, I'm not seeing anything that would justifying keeping to give up on a potential power bat like Romak.

Have to agree. Romak would have been a much better choice than Lerud. I also would have liked to kept Kyle Bloom, who I think is rule5 eligible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:05 am 

Lerud is a catcher- that probably has something to do with it. We are pretty bare at that position in the minors since we didn't draft Weiters. We are looking pretty good in the outfield. The org doesn't seem to be very enamored with Romak due to his apparent lack of plate discipline. I'd be shocked if any of these unprotected guys get drafted AND make it through 2009 on someone's roster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 am 

doug frobel wrote:
Lerud is a catcher- that probably has something to do with it. We are pretty bare at that position in the minors since we didn't draft Weiters. We are looking pretty good in the outfield. The org doesn't seem to be very enamored with Romak due to his apparent lack of plate discipline. I'd be shocked if any of these unprotected guys get drafted AND make it through 2009 on someone's roster.

I can't necessarily disagree with any of that, but I wouldn't say we are "bare" at catcher. We currently have Robinzon Diaz and Ron Paul (though I think he will be traded to cut back on the Indianapolis food expenses), and could re-sign Chavez or go out and get any number of backup catcher types on minor league deals.

I also think that Lerud would be the most unlikely of any players we are discussing to get taken and stick somewhere.

Of the guys unprotected, I think there is a chance Bloom could get taken and stick somewhere. It wouldn't be hard to hide him in the back of your bullpen and use him to mop up. And if one team tries and fails, he could always be traded a la Jose Bautista.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 am 

Lerud has had injury problems but has very good upside. The Pirates are gambling on him finally getting healthy. To me, there is no doubt they kept him because he is a catcher.

I agree about Romak. Power but no discipline. Doubt someone would keep either on a major league roster for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:01 pm 

omgardd wrote:

They didn't give up on Romak. It is highly unlikely that any team would keep him in the majors for an entire season. There is a pretty good chance that he isn't even drafted.

I don't think that Corley is a prospect at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:57 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
omgardd wrote:

They didn't give up on Romak. It is highly unlikely that any team would keep him in the majors for an entire season. There is a pretty good chance that he isn't even drafted.

Romak strikes out too much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Romak strikes out too much.

Certainly too much to stick with a major league team at this time. Here's hoping that he learns to make better contact, though I'm not optimistic at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:37 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Certainly too much to stick with a major league team at this time. Here's hoping that he learns to make better contact, though I'm not optimistic at this stage.

He'd be entertaining, that's about it.