Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirate City Practice, February 16, 2013
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:04 pm 

I had to go to an outlet mall today that is close to Pirate City, so I decided to make a brief detour on my way and check out this morning's practice. Some random observations:

1. It was a cool and brisk morning with highs only in the low 60s, however the Florida sun was out and is still strong, regardless of the temperature.

2. There were lots of fielding drills this morning involving pickoffs at third and slowly hit (or rolled) balls. Each pitcher would get one turn at fielding a ball and the catcher would try to throw the ball towards third. I saw several of our relievers and a bunch of catchers performing this drill.

3. I was able to have a front row view of pitching sessions involving Burnett, Karstens, McDonald and Cole. Taillon, seemed to be doing his tossing on a back field, so I wasn't able to view much of him. From what I could tell, nobody looked too wild. A few of them also threw on the diamond as well.

4. I think that it is probably safe to say that James MacDonald isn't juicing or taking HGH, as he is the skinniest player that I have seen in a long time.

5. Jason Grilli is the tallest player that I have seen in a long time.

6. Mike LaValliere was doing quite a bit of instructing this morning, especially with Russell Martin. Spanky is far heavier now than he was during his playing days. If he were his current size in October, 1992, Bream would have been out, as Spanky would have covered the plate and possibly the whole batter's box area with his frame.

7. Neil Huntington was milling around the diamonds, as was Frank Coonelly. I don't think Nutting is due here until next week.

8. I didn't see Clint Hurdle until batting practice started around noon. He is doing his best Joe Maddon and Bill Belechick impersonation by sporting a hoodie. Now, if he can only impersonate their winning records (minus Spygate of course).

9. I was able to watch some batting practice, including McCutchen and Alvarez, but it was an obstructed view due to the rolling cage. Both of them seemed to be hitting a lot towards left field today, but that may have been aided by the wind.

10. There was a good crowd of people at the complex today. As usual, the crowd was mostly older men, however, there seemed to be more women and children in attendance today than in my prior trips in prior years.

11. Autograph seekers are highly annoying and everywhere. I don't mind the kids as much (18 and under), as I did the same thing as a kid, but the overwhelming majority are much older.

12. The only person that was more prevalent than autograph seekers was Manny Sanguillen. He seemed like he was on every field all the time. Of course, he had his trademark smile on his face and a very nice watch on his wrist. Bill Virdon and Kent Tekulve were also present and coaching.

13. I wish that Manny would have brought some barbeque sandwiches with him to sell, as I left around 12:30 and was very hungry. As much fun as it is to watch practice, it does start to get boring after a while when there is no game action going on and unsure about the point of the drills.

14. I had lunch at Mixon's Fruit Farms next door to the complex. While I had been there before, I had never had lunch there and DK would always rave about their Italian sub. I had said sub for lunch and am not sure what all of the hype was about. It was fairly mediocre. On the bright side, despite the cold, I did have some of Mixon's orange soft serve, which is arguably the best orange soft serve on the planet.

15. I drove past the complex on my way out and there were autograph seekers outside of the gates of the facility that lead to the road. About 30 seconds later, it started to rain... 8-)

16. I took some pictures this morning, however, I am unable to upload them due to file size.

My next report will be from a game, but I'm not sure which games that I will attend just yet.

Post subject: Re: Pirate City Practice, February 16, 2013
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am 

Thanks for the report PoP!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:03 pm 

I second the thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Nice job. All sounds about right.
Come back to Mixon's on Monday (tomorrow 2/18) - FREE breakfast from the Pirates from 7:30am-8:30am.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

Cutch and especially Pedro showed some impressive opposite field power last year, maybe they were working on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am 

Great report, as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm 

Good stuff. Thanks.