Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saw this Fangraphs article for the first time today ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm 

This Fangraphs article from December, 2012 went over all pitches in the strike zone called strikes that were not, for each pitcher and each team. Apologies if it has already been posted - and it may well have been, but I just missed the post.

Anyway, I watch a lot of MLB. Too much, probably. I have felt that the Pirates do not get much respect from the umpires and the article provides some objective data that support my observations.

Specifically, of the 30 teams in MLB in 2012, the Pirates had the MOST strikes (as determined by reviewing pitchFX data) called balls by the umpires of any team in the league - an average of 19 lost strikes for every 1000 pitches thrown (1.9%).

Also, the Pirates had 3 of the top 6 pitchers in terms of having actual strikes called balls (Morton, Watson, Hanrahan) in 2012.

In contrast, the Brewers had the most strikes called for actual strikes, including many that were in fact not strikes. The Brewers wound up getting an "extra" 11 strikes for every 1000 pitches thrown (1.1%).

Baseball is a game of inches - and in light of that, losing 3% of strikes as compared to a division foe matters.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... 2-results/

Post subject: Re: Saw this Fangraphs article for the first time today ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
This Fangraphs article from December, 2012 went over all pitches in the strike zone called strikes that were not, for each pitcher and each team. Apologies if it has already been posted - and it may well have been, but I just missed the post.

Anyway, I watch a lot of MLB. Too much, probably. I have felt that the Pirates do not get much respect from the umpires and the article provides some objective data that support my observations.

Specifically, of the 30 teams in MLB in 2012, the Pirates had the MOST strikes (as determined by reviewing pitchFX data) called balls by the umpires of any team in the league - an average of 19 lost strikes for every 1000 pitches thrown (1.9%).

Also, the Pirates had 3 of the top 6 pitchers in terms of having actual strikes called balls (Morton, Watson, Hanrahan) in 2012.

In contrast, the Brewers had the most strikes called for actual strikes, including many that were in fact not strikes. The Brewers wound up getting an "extra" 11 strikes for every 1000 pitches thrown (1.1%).

Baseball is a game of inches - and in light of that, losing 3% of strikes as compared to a division foe matters.

I did post this earlier but it didn't generate too much discussion. Russ Martin is supposed to be in the elite category in pitch framing, while Barajas was rated terribly and McKenry not so great either. Martin can really help this staff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:05 pm 

Check these studies out too Bucfan -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10313

And this one on pitch types that shows how AJ get squeezed -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10330

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:09 pm 

Is there a system of accountability in place for MLB umps? I think if there is it needs beefed up. I have also suspected that lack of respect in recent year, and it ticks me off. A strike is a strike no matter who is pitching or batting. That's why it will peeve me a bit if and when Glavine makes the hall someday. Guy got to pitch with a 22" wide plate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 pm 

Let me tell you something about Russell Martin. I don't know if he was a good signing or not, but I do know the NY fans and talk sports shows are lamenting his loss. Maybe that means nothing, but they think the Yankees made a big mistake over a couple of million dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Let me tell you something about Russell Martin. I don't know if he was a good signing or not, but I do know the NY fans and talk sports shows are lamenting his loss. Maybe that means nothing, but they think the Yankees made a big mistake over a couple of million dollars.

i listen to the fan on my drive to and from work here in delaware, and i noticed the same thing, the NY fans are making a bigger deal about loosing martin thean we are of getting him

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Glad to hear that there is empirical evidence that supports what my eyes have been telling me. I think that the front office is very much aware of this, and that goes a long way towards explaining why they went after Martin so hard. Martin's pitch framing numbers were very good last year. I guess we'll find out if that was because of his skills, or because umpires just favor the Yankees.

I bet the numbers were even worse in 2011 with Doumit behind the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Is there a system of accountability in place for MLB umps? I think if there is it needs beefed up. I have also suspected that lack of respect in recent year, and it ticks me off. A strike is a strike no matter who is pitching or batting. That's why it will peeve me a bit if and when Glavine makes the hall someday. Guy got to pitch with a 22" wide plate.

I think there is a system of accountability but I don't think it's tight enough. There are still too many bad umpires and blown calls.

You gotta credit the Bucs and especially NH for the Martin signing. Martin said that their offer was simply better than anything else out there. At the time the Yankees had too much uncertainty and were not ready to deal with Martin. The Pirates made catcher their priority and came up with the right offer at the right time.

Basically we outbid the competition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I think there is a system of accountability but I don't think it's tight enough.

MLB had Jerry Meals review the system. He said it looked good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

One of those AJ pitches may well have cost him a no-hitter, IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
I think there is a system of accountability but I don't think it's tight enough.

MLB had Jerry Meals review the system. He said it looked good.

Yeah, and Randy Marsh said the strike zone was great, too.