Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Pittsburgh
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
It wouldn't be enough for me. Finishing .500 has never been, and should never be, the goal. Qualifying for the playoffs is the goal. That's what matters.


Come off it JC, playoffs matter more, but .500 matters too. Its ridiculous to claim that a winning season doesn't matter to a team mired in a 20 year losing streak. It matters to attendance, it matters to merchandise revenue, it matters psychologically to the team and fanbase, it matters to the owner who holds the purse strings.

The Pirates just had their second highest attendance in history in year 20. That streak only matters to the people who enjoy looking in the rear view mirror. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what your into. I'm more interested in now. If the Pirates are not serious contenders deep into September, this season will be a disappointment to me, no matter how many games they win.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
This fan says yes.

Just win baby.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 1397
Location: A Pond or Lake Near You
Satisfaction: .500 ball and in the hunt throughout all of August.

Unbridled excitement: Challenging for the division last week of season.

Pure Joy: Playoffs. Even a one gamer.

Ecstasy: Playoffs and Scarlett Johannson starts returning my calls.

_________________
Kevin
Sensorcon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Rochester wrote:
Ecstasy: Playoffs and Scarlett Johannson starts returning my calls.


Good luck with that. She not only failed to return my calls but obtained a restraining order. Something about harassing her with phone calls every 5 minutes . . . .

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Per BP - the Bucs project to win 79 games and have a 17.0% chance of making the playoffs. That's not terrible.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1457
Location: Eastern Shore
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Per BP - the Bucs project to win 79 games and have a 17.0% chance of making the playoffs. That's not terrible.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

It sure as heck ain't great.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2175
sisyphus wrote:
The Pirates just had their second highest attendance in history in year 20. That streak only matters to the people who enjoy looking in the rear view mirror. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what your into. I'm more interested in now. If the Pirates are not serious contenders deep into September, this season will be a disappointment to me, no matter how many games they win.

As a diehard fan, I'm not willing to forget about the past 20 years. I get excited for each coming season(looking forward as you say) but I'm not going to just pretend the last 20 years didn't happen(looking in the rear view as you say).

Attendance is influenced by more than just performance, although there was no denying when they were playing well last year the park was full.

For me I think it is about watching fun baseball...which of course goes hand in hand with winning. Seeing that light at the end of the tunnel is important, and I'm not sure I see it just yet. Whoever said about 1988 is correct. That was a fun season because you started to see things coming together. They couldn't beat the Mets, but you could see and sense they were on the verge. That would be acceptable in my book. 90, 91, 92 would be better, and 79 would be the ultimate. But realistically, after 20 miserable seasons I just want to see fun baseball, and that light at the end of the tunnel. I don't wish to watch another epic collapse!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
The Pirates just had their second highest attendance in history in year 20. That streak only matters to the people who enjoy looking in the rear view mirror. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what your into. I'm more interested in now. If the Pirates are not serious contenders deep into September, this season will be a disappointment to me, no matter how many games they win.

As a diehard fan, I'm not willing to forget about the past 20 years. I get excited for each coming season(looking forward as you say) but I'm not going to just pretend the last 20 years didn't happen(looking in the rear view as you say).

Attendance is influenced by more than just performance, although there was no denying when they were playing well last year the park was full.

For me I think it is about watching fun baseball...which of course goes hand in hand with winning. Seeing that light at the end of the tunnel is important, and I'm not sure I see it just yet. Whoever said about 1988 is correct. That was a fun season because you started to see things coming together. They couldn't beat the Mets, but you could see and sense they were on the verge. That would be acceptable in my book. 90, 91, 92 would be better, and 79 would be the ultimate. But realistically, after 20 miserable seasons I just want to see fun baseball, and that light at the end of the tunnel. I don't wish to watch another epic collapse!


The "fun" factor is pretty big for me too PP, being a season ticket holder. That is a key reason why I don't view 2012 as darkly as many others. I just can't erase high fiving my family and friends at PNC being 16 games over and all the joy that went with that. The collapse didn't negate all the fun of the 4 months being a true contender. I enjoyed the path we took to 79 wins much more than if we had played right at .500 all year sitting in 4th place.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
val wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Per BP - the Bucs project to win 79 games and have a 17.0% chance of making the playoffs. That's not terrible.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

It sure as heck ain't great.


So you're tellin' me there's a chance?



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
PirateParrot wrote:
I don't wish to watch another epic collapse!


If the Pirates have a third epic collapse in three seasons, I will start a thread on this board that will blow up the internet. Figuratively, not literally.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Per BP - the Bucs project to win 79 games and have a 17.0% chance of making the playoffs. That's not terrible.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/


Fair enough.

Seems like they're more or less using last season as a 'floor' for this season.

That said, not sure their estimations are so great...

88 wins for the Yanks, 83 for the Sawks, but only 82 for the Jays?

Pirates only 1 more win than the Cubs???

67 wins for the 'Stros?!?!?!?!?!?!11///1111/1/11

:lol:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Vegas also has us at 79 wins per the sports book. Personally I say 83, its time for the annual prediction contests.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Vegas also has us at 79 wins per the sports book.


Which Casino?

And is that the over/under or the prediction?

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Vegas also has us at 79 wins per the sports book.


Which Casino?

And is that the over/under or the prediction?



O/U

http://forums.viewfromvegas.com/user/di ... ?id=359608

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Johnston County< NC
For me they need to be going in the right direction, and I feel they are. 2011 they played well until end of July. 2012 they were in it until end of August. I think this year we are looking at 85 wins, and are in Wild Card until the end. 2014 we make the playoffs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1457
Location: Eastern Shore
markfnc wrote:
For me they need to be going in the right direction, and I feel they are. 2011 they played well until end of July. 2012 they were in it until end of August. I think this year we are looking at 85 wins, and are in Wild Card until the end. 2014 we make the playoffs.

I could live with that.

Welcome to the boards. :D


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is .500 going to be enough for Pirates fans this season?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 413
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
Meaningful baseball in September is what I view as a successful season. And that means a winning season. So, yes a .500+ season would be satisfying to me and I'd call it successful.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits