All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Close to signing LHP Jonathan Sanchez
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/p ... nchez.html

Per Heyman

Post subject: Re: Pirates Close to signing LHP Jonathan Sanchez
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm 

Liriano pitching for the Pirates seems further and further away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

I see this isn't generating a lot of board excitement :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 am 

I would like to think that Sanchez' 2112 season was an outlier. Cautiously optimistic. I also think Liriano will be signed also. I like the depth we have in the rotation at this point. Only time will tell the quality....... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would like to think that Sanchez' 2112 season was an outlier. Cautiously optimistic. I also think Liriano will be signed also. I like the depth we have in the rotation at this point. Only time will tell the quality....... 8-) 8-) 8-)

On a minor league contract, there is no downside to taking a flier on Sanchez. None whatsoever. Yeah . . . its throwing darts in the dark but he's not that far away from being a pretty good left handed pitcher.

I hope you are right re: Liriano. I just don't have a good feeling about how it is playing out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:53 am 

What does this say about NH's view of Jeff Locke and Kyle McPherson?

It's another lottery ticket, obviously. I feel like Liriano has a far higher upside, so I'm still hoping the Pirates get him in. I think Sanchez will be in AAA or, potentially, play the long-man role in the bullpen. As a second lefty in the 'pen, he could be useful. But only if he can, you know, throw strikes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:

It's another lottery ticket, obviously. I feel like Liriano has a far higher upside, so I'm still hoping the Pirates get him in. I think Sanchez will be in AAA or, potentially, play the long-man role in the bullpen. As a second lefty in the 'pen, he could be useful. But only if he can, you know, throw strikes.

It says nothing about Locke and KMac. This is a minor league deal on a guy who (if healthy) could be a useful bullpen lefty. Anyone thinking that Sanchez is ticketed for the rotation is delusional.

It also says very little about Liriano who will get signed. Its just book keeping, NH doesn't want to have to cut another 40 man guy with 6 days before camp.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

It says nothing about Locke and KMac. This is a minor league deal on a guy who (if healthy) could be a useful bullpen lefty. Anyone thinking that Sanchez is ticketed for the rotation is delusional.

It also says very little about Liriano who will get signed. Its just book keeping, NH doesn't want to have to cut another 40 man guy with 6 days before camp.

If Sanchez is in the 'pen, he'll be in line for spot starts. That puts him on a similar level as Locke & McPherson.

I hope that you're right about the delay on the Liriano signing. Starting the season with Burnett-Rodriguez-McDonald-Karstens-Liriano (or, if Liriano can't go in April, one of Locke/McPherson/Sanchez for the fifth starter spot) would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:38 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

If Sanchez is in the 'pen, he'll be in line for spot starts. That puts him on a similar level as Locke & McPherson.

I hope that you're right about the delay on the Liriano signing. Starting the season with Burnett-Rodriguez-McDonald-Karstens-Liriano (or, if Liriano can't go in April, one of Locke/McPherson/Sanchez for the fifth starter spot) would be nice.

I honestly don't think he even makes the team. His velocity is down to 89 and he never had control to make that work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I honestly don't think he even makes the team. His velocity is down to 89 and he never had control to make that work.

Jon Heyman suggested that the dip in velocity was due to injury, and he reported that Sanchez is healthy and working on his mechanics. If he's back to 90+ mph with the fastball and he can return to 2009-2011 form, he could be a useful lefty long man in the 'pen and spot starter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:04 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Jon Heyman suggested that the dip in velocity was due to injury, and he reported that Sanchez is healthy and working on his mechanics. If he's back to 90+ mph with the fastball and he can return to 2009-2011 form, he could be a useful lefty long man in the 'pen and spot starter.

That's too many "ifs" for someone to consider the acquisition of Sanchez as an indicator of how NH feels about Locke and McFear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Sloppy reporting by Heyman. His velocity dropped in 2010, further in 2011, and further in 2012. Looks like decline for a small 30 year old pitcher, not just an incidence of inflammation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm 

He just needs some treatment at an aging clinic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm 

low risk high reward no big deal if he dont make the team. From the sounds of things fransico will not be ready by opening day and might miss most of April so Mchperson will be able to get a few starts until he is ready.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:02 pm 

Sanchez reminds me of Oliver Perez.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Sanchez reminds me of Oliver Perez.

Apt comparison.

Can't decide if that is 'funny' or 'sad'.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 am 

Ralphie wrote:
He just needs some treatment at an aging clinic.

This is when I wish our board had those "kudo" points ... laughed out loud at this one, Ralphie.

+5