Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

Awfully quiet around here. Let's see if I can generate a discussion. Who thinks Walker should get a long-term deal? Who thinks he WILL get a long-term offer? What should he get...something closer to Tabata's, like they tried to do before or something closer to Cutch's contract?

I think we have to lock him up and it has to be more than good-business driven. His PR value as a hometown kid should have weight in this and should be reflected in the offer. Don't try to low-ball him...offer fair market value or slightly more.

Post subject: Re: Walker
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm 

Walker is not going to be signing for anywhere near Tabata money. It's going to take a lot more than that.

He wants full market value, perhaps even above that. I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to agree to terms and end up trading him within the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:08 pm 

HE GETS ON BASE.

Yes, sign him to an extension (if healthy). Not sure what it would cost, but the Pirates have him under control for the next four seasons, so this first extension shouldn't be crazy expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

Although he was injured last year, he is a good risk as far as that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
HE GETS ON BASE.

Yes, sign him to an extension (if healthy). Not sure what it would cost, but the Pirates have him under control for the next four seasons, so this first extension shouldn't be crazy expensive.

Why four years? I thought it would be three.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
HE GETS ON BASE.

Why four years? I thought it would be three.

He's a super 2, so he gets four years of arbitration.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm 

bradf wrote:
Awfully quiet around here. Let's see if I can generate a discussion. Who thinks Walker should get a long-term deal? Who thinks he WILL get a long-term offer? What should he get...something closer to Tabata's, like they tried to do before or something closer to Cutch's contract?

I think we have to lock him up and it has to be more than good-business driven. His PR value as a hometown kid should have weight in this and should be reflected in the offer. Don't try to low-ball him...offer fair market value or slightly more.

I'd be very reluctant to extend him at this time. The back trouble is scaring me off. I'd hold off for now and revisit the matter after the season.

Everyone should keep in mind that Walker will be 31 years old when he gains free agency. I think the odds are pretty good that he's going to have trouble staying at second base due to range issues, especially if his back trouble continues to nag him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

That's a very valid point sisyphus. However, he might make an excellent replacement for Pedro since he will sign with the Dodgers about the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am 

bradf wrote:
That's a very valid point sisyphus. However, he might make an excellent replacement for Pedro since he will sign with the Dodgers about the same time.

For how long? These guys can't hit the needle any more. You're not going to be seeing a ton of guys maintaining their hitting stats to their middle thirties any more. I've very leery of committing any money at all to anyone past the age of 32 or 33 nowadays, except for the very best. If he gets through this season without any back problems I'd try to lock him up through his first year of free agency, with maybe an option for one more year past that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm 

bradf wrote:

If Walker were to move to third base, it would immediately diminish his value. Walker makes for a good hitter as a second baseman, not as a third baseman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 am 

Willton wrote:
bradf wrote:

If Walker were to move to third base, it would immediately diminish his value. Walker makes for a good hitter as a second baseman, not as a third baseman.

Walker needs to stay put at 2B. Willton, I agree 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm 

I think you missed my point. Walker may need to move to 3rd as he loses range in a few years, not now. Also, I'm not sure we have seen his full progression as a hitter so I wouldn't rule out being able to provide at least as adequate corner infield bat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 pm 

bradf wrote:
I think you missed my point. Walker may need to move to 3rd as he loses range in a few years, not now. Also, I'm not sure we have seen his full progression as a hitter so I wouldn't rule out being able to provide at least as adequate corner infield bat.

Well, given that he's going to be 27 this season, it's hard to see how his "full progression" is going to be much better than his current ability as a hitter. And at age 32, which is how old he will be in the year you propose he take Pedro's position, I suspect that his hitting ability is unlikely to be any better than what it is currently, particularly in the power department.