Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dustin Pedroia Wins AL MVP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm 

Quote:
Boston little man Dustin Pedroia won the AL MVP award Tuesday, becoming the first second baseman to earn the honor in nearly a half-century.

Pedroia easily beat out Minnesota slugger Justin Morneau and added to his ever-expanding trophy case. Generously listed at 5-foot-9, the Red Sox star was the top AL rookie last year while winning a World Series ring.

“I’m not the biggest guy in the world. I don’t have that many tools,” Pedroia said on a conference call from his home in Arizona. “If you saw me walking down the street, you wouldn’t think I’m a baseball player.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Though I thought the AL MVP was a Red Sox player...I did not think it was Pedroia...
I personally think Youkilis should have been MVP...Having someone who can man 1st down like him and then be asked to move to 3rd with Lowell going down and not having Ortiz and Manny...43 Doubles, 29 HR's, .312 avg, 115 RBI, 91 runs, .569 slugging, .390 On Base %

I really think this Baseball writers picks are bull shit...Though you cant let the fans have control either, or it'd be a Red Sox or Yanks MVP every year

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Dustin Pedroia Wins AL MVP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm 

....him winning the AL MVP is a joke. I've seen better seasons (bat/glove) from second basemen like Roberto Alomar and Carlos Baerga but they didn't win the award.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am 

Boy ASU put some pretty good players in the ML from that era. Pedroia, Willie Bloomquist, Andre Ethier, Jeff Larish. Too bad they can't win the big one. Pat Murphy just doesn't attract nor handle pitchers very well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm 

Eric Bowser wrote:
....him winning the AL MVP is a joke. I've seen better seasons (bat/glove) from second basemen like Roberto Alomar and Carlos Baerga but they didn't win the award.

Perhaps that had something to do with the competition Alomar and Baerga faced in their day. I suppose you can find a better candidate than Pedroia for AL MVP this year?

The BBWA are certainly not infallible (the GG picks this year evince that) but I think they got this one right. Pedroia had an excellent year with the bat at a position often devoid of good hitters, and he also fielded his position quite well. Unless you're willing to give this award to a pitcher, Pedroia deserves this award.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:25 pm 

Willton wrote:
Unless you're willing to give this award to a pitcher, Pedroia deserves this award.

Pedroia had a great season (though his home/away splits are certainly eye-opening), but he won because he played for the BoSox. Joe Mauer or Grady Sizemore are every bit as deserving as Pedroia, if not moreso.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:43 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Willton wrote:
Unless you're willing to give this award to a pitcher, Pedroia deserves this award.

Pedroia had a great season (though his home/away splits are certainly eye-opening), but he won because he played for the BoSox. Joe Mauer or Grady Sizemore are every bit as deserving as Pedroia, if not moreso.

You may have a point with Mauer, but definitely not with Sizemore. Sizemore did hit just as well as Pedroia, but he played a far easier position than Pedroia did, and he did not field it nearly as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You could argue a couple of guys, including K-Rod I suppose. But, DP is certainly as deserving as anyone.

ZM