Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No. 1 son's fall season over
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:20 pm 

The coach called the guys in yesterday for final cuts for the spring. Over 40 players were on the fall roster andthere are about 25 left for spring. No. 1 was told he would be one of 4 starters in the rotation for the spring. The played about 25 games in the fall season. He pitched about 20 innings with an era of about 2. When he throws strikes, he gets people out. His two bumps in the road were the result his lack of control his first two appearances after rolling his ankle and missing 2 weeks. Sitting at 86, topping out at 88. His change up has been his out pitch and has been quite good. If a mean streak on the mound is a plus, he has one. One guy on his own team was talking smack to him so during an intersquad game, he plunked him. Looking forward to the spring. They play over 60 games. He has not hit at all and it would seem that pitching will be his place on the team even though he can hit with the guys in the regular lineup.

Post subject: Re: No. 1 son's fall season over
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:06 pm 

Gee, AZ.....a left-hander who has control problems, but gets people out when he throws strikes....sounds like every left-hander I ever met. :D As far as the hitting goes, get him in the National League, man! Question for you....if he ever makes it to the big show, are you're preferences for what team he plays for going to be considered? Do the Pirates get a "local" preference?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:11 pm 

He is 18 years old. My preferences don't hold much water. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 pm 

Heard ya!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:06 pm 

Let me know when he needs an agent . . . strike that . . . personal advisor. :lol:
In all seriousness, seemed like a great kid when I met him this past spring. Pass along my regards and tell him congratulations.
If Iowa makes it to the Insight Bowl (actually hoping for the Outback) . . . I'll try to make the trip. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:19 pm 

After reading License to Deal, I like Sosnick and Cobbe. That is a big IF. lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:48 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is 18 years old. My preferences don't hold much water. LOL

If you start hyping the Cubs, Reds, Cards, Astros and Brewers right now he'll definitely want to sign with the Pirates by next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:09 pm 

bradf wrote:
Gee, AZ.....a left-hander who has control problems, but gets people out when he throws strikes....sounds like every left-hander I ever met. :D As far as the hitting goes, get him in the National League, man! Question for you....if he ever makes it to the big show, are you're preferences for what team he plays for going to be considered? Do the Pirates get a "local" preference?

Gotta love Lefties...I was always made to pitch on every team I was on until I was 18 because I was left handed...I could put some zip on it, but it was tough because I do not have a long arm reach...I could throw a nice curve and sometimes would mess around and throw a knuckler...Though being a heavyweight wrestler in high school helped put fear in the batter's head just me taking the mound

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 pm 

Two best pitches in baseball - fastball and change. Since No. 1 throws upper 80's, his change will be knee-buckling. (And yes, I mean knee-buckling. The batter is so fooled by the pitch that his front leg will collapse as he starts swinging at the change.)

Look forward to hearing how he does this year. He should keep his swing ready. Lefty pitchers are sought because lefty hitters rule.