Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The SEAL Training
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:29 am 

Rochester wrote:
Yes, there's probably some "head shakedness" to the whole concept.

HOWEVER. It's not a big deal. Organizations do it. It is what it is.

Well said.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am 

Maybe Jose Tabata should have attended, he has been suspect mentally during adversities as well as out of shape leading to hamstring issues.

This topic has been beat to death, its really very simple:

1. A writer thought it great "news" to "out" the team on supposed shakey training processes, he was wrong. Matter-of-fact he was a bit vindictive in his attempt to smear the front office. The fact will always remain the same, he is a writer, subsequently a fan like the rest of us (with more access), the team employs professional baseball people to make decisions based on numbers, facts, experience, etc. I'm sorry but I'm going to side with the Pirates because what I've seen over the last 4 years is steady improvement in all phases of the organization. Though they may not be marked improvement, it has been steady and very encouraging.

2. The majority of people that are "outraged" by the whole "SEAL" training I would assume are non-military members. While there is certainly nothing wrong with not choosing the military as a career it shows a lack of familiarity or lack of understanding of importance to certain training scenerios. I could write you a full article outlining the benefits of military style training and how it could enhance job performance in almost any career field, but non-military types wouldn't really understand it and would argue heavily against it. But again, that is perfectly ok. What frustrates me is that I've watched this topic take on a life of its own with such orchestrated "public outrage" that it may lead to the PBC abandoning a type of training that I enthusiatically endorse, all because of the writing of a vindictive writer with a clear agenda.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm 

PF13....i agree with you....however i have one bone to pick...

Piratefan13 wrote:
out of shape leading to hamstring issues.

Hamstrings are more a physiological thing and although Tabata seems thicker (frankly due to maturing and body type), I don't really think he was out of shape nor believe the hamstring woes were caused by such. This is a make or break year for him IMHO. It will be curious to see how it all plays out.... 8-)