All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Karstens to re-sign
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

Just to get a couple people going.

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2012/11/30/pirates-release-karstens/

:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm 

I posted this on Friday in the Liriano thread.

Glad my source came through

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am 

Have always liked his spirit and willingness to fill in where they needed him. Glad he's back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 am 

bucco boy wrote:

Dejan wrote:
Projections were that he’d make $3.8 million through salary arbitration.

And trust me, this won’t be one of those where the pitcher agrees to come back at a lower rate. He’s out of here.

Well, I guess I know who to trust from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 am 

i think he is here to be the 6th starter fill the role that had koria last season. I like it he has struggled being healthy all season but 15 spots starts to keep are top 5 fresher and long relief i can live with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 am 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
DERP!!!

bradf wrote:
This is great...but I hope it doesn't preclude Liriano or Marcum. I would still like the depth of having one of those two.

*nodding*

Derp is back home, where he belongs.

I may have to get a DERP jersey to add to the Searage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am 

I believe if Jeff can stay healthy, he can be an effective and an important arm any time he starts a game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Please Jeff stay healthy. No groin pulls or shoulder irritation....or I will pull my hair out and be very irritated......I can go with this move...He is fun to watch when healthy.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yes, he is. As long as there aren't a lot of close up shots! Eeeeesh!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am 

No. 9 wrote:
At a minimum, we now have a pretty good idea of the market for Jeff Karstens . . . he was non-tendered; tested free agency waters and jumped at the chance to re-sign with the Bucs for $2.5M.

Can't really grasp how he had so much less interest than Correia, but then again there is only one front office like the Twins. Glad he's back, we have cut him before and he fought back to claim a SP job. He's great insurance for Locke/KMac. I think we still need one of Marcum/Liriano.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 am 

I'm surprised he re-signed. I feel he could have done better than 1 year and $2.5 million.

But it's a very good move by NH and the Pirates. They retained Karstens and saved about $1.3 million compared to what they would have paid him through arbitration. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 am 

Wow. So many people here obsessed with DK. Can't have a single thread without bringing up DK's opinion on it. Funny.

By the way, here's his take on the Bucs re-signing Karstens:

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... al-gamble/

>> Here’s one of those forecasts that knocks you right out of the Nostradamus Trophy running. [Links to blog post in which he said Karstens was "out of here."]

Oof!

How rotten does that look after this news yesterday?

Well, rather than reopen old wounds from the time of the Pirates’ release of Jeff Karstens, I’ll just say it’s everyone’s right to change their views as situations change. It can be a healthy thing, too. Stubbornness for the sake of stubbornness rarely serves anyone.

Bottom line is a win-win: Neal Huntington gets a $2.5 million pitcher who would have cost $3.8 million through arbitration, and Karstens gets a chance to stay with a group of teammates he loves being around.

The lone concern, obviously, is that Karstens’ 2012 numbers look markedly better than his 2013 pay. And that’s a sign that all those hints the Pirates’ management was dropping at PirateFest about Karstens’ health — for whatever reason and to whatever effect — might come with some merit.

If Karstens is fine, then he’s very much a welcome-back addition to the rotation. Some of you have long known how I feel about his ability: The guy can pitch.

Oh, DK admitted he was wrong about his forecast? And he owned up to it? That already makes him more of a stand-up guy than about 75% of the posters on this board...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 pm 

He can go the first half of the season and the combo of Morton, Cole or Taillon can finish. 4 headed monster....sounds like a plan.. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I'm surprised he re-signed. I feel he could have done better than 1 year and $2.5 million.

But it's a very good move by NH and the Pirates. They retained Karstens and saved about $1.3 million compared to what they would have paid him through arbitration. Well done.

Its likely a convergence of circumstances. I'm not convinced that it was Huntington's "master plan" to re-acquire/retain Karstens. Although I'm certain that the Bucs kept the lines of communication open with Karsten's agent, my feeling is that the signing was more of a result of Liriano's unexpected injury. The ultimate signing amount tells me that Huntington and Crew likely had a pretty good feel for Karsten's potential free agent value and that Karstens and/or his agent likely overestimated Karstens' value. Hopefully, he's injury free and can be a productive pitcher. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Wow. So many people here obsessed with DK. Can't have a single thread without bringing up DK's opinion on it. Funny.

Reap what you sow. Make your living by being critical of others, you can only expect that people will be critical of you when you are wrong. The "volume" of responses is, IMO, directly proportional to the "volume" and nature of the criticism.

For what its worth, adding a bit more humility to one's approach is something that most people would benefit from - and I'm not excluding myself from this observation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Oh, DK admitted he was wrong about his forecast? And he owned up to it? That already makes him more of a stand-up guy than about 75% of the posters on this board...

Well, that may be true, but has yet to be tested in my case, since I have never been wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Well, that may be true, but has yet to be tested in my case, since I have never been wrong.

Truer words have never been written. That's why I refer to you offline as "The Great and Infallible Bucfan."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Its likely a convergence of circumstances. I'm not convinced that it was Huntington's "master plan" to re-acquire/retain Karstens. Although I'm certain that the Bucs kept the lines of communication open with Karsten's agent, my feeling is that the signing was more of a result of Liriano's unexpected injury. The ultimate signing amount tells me that Huntington and Crew likely had a pretty good feel for Karsten's potential free agent value and that Karstens and/or his agent likely overestimated Karstens' value. Hopefully, he's injury free and can be a productive pitcher. Time will tell.

Oh, I think it was more luck than plan, but I give NH credit for the result.

I really hope this doesn't mean the Bucs have cut off contact with Liriano/Marcum. The team would be in very good shape if they brought in one of those two. As much as I love Karstens, you can really only count on him for about 120 innings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 pm 

Liriano's injury factored in but so did the lack of interest the market showed in Karstens. You don't know how something like that is going to play out until it plays out.

As BarryS noted, who would ever guess that Correia would get 2 years 13 mil? He's been somewhat more durable than Karstens over the last 2 years, but Karstens has been more effective. Plus he's several years younger.

This counts as a win for NH but as others have noted we still need one more starter. You can never have too many.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Says the guy who unearthed a 2-year old post to pick a fight regarding Neal Huntington and Walt Jocketty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Says the guy who unearthed a 2-year old post to pick a fight regarding Neal Huntington and Walt Jocketty.

I brought that one out of retirement to demonstrate what posters said about the job Neal Huntington was doing in 2010 and how much longer he should get to turn the Pirates around. It includes stances taken by multiple posters, not just one, and doesn't involve Kovacevic.

Also, it included some entertaining banter. I really enjoyed your "dark ages" comment about Jocketty. Good times.