Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Justin Upton Nixes Trade
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:32 pm 

From MLBTR.....

Justin Upton invoked his no-trade clause to reject a proposed deal to the Mariners, one of four teams on his no-trade list. The trade would have sent four players to Arizona: Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor and Taijuan Walker.

OK, just for laughs - if Seattle basically set the price that the D-Backs are looking for for Upton, what would the Bucs have to pony up if they were inclined to go after him?

I don't really see it happening, but it's 6 weeks till pitchers and catchers, and I'm tired of talking about Hoka Hey.

Post subject: Re: Justin Upton Nixes Trade
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
From MLBTR.....

Justin Upton invoked his no-trade clause to reject a proposed deal to the Mariners, one of four teams on his no-trade list. The trade would have sent four players to Arizona: Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush, Stephen Pryor and Taijuan Walker.

OK, just for laughs - if Seattle basically set the price that the D-Backs are looking for for Upton, what would the Bucs have to pony up if they were inclined to go after him?

I don't really see it happening, but it's 6 weeks till pitchers and catchers, and I'm tired of talking about Hoka Hey.

If Jack Z really offered Walker he's a fool.

That offer would be something like Cole, Bell, Wilson and Morris. (Top 10 overall, second back end top 100 guy, two good RP prospects).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:10 pm 

As long as AZ wants young near or major league ready SS we dont match up. Besides we have enough players to compete for the RF that giving up a chance at 2 frontline Stud pitchers who both will be here in 2 years max cole myabe by Sept no thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm 

The M's dodged a bullet and the Pirates better not step in front of that barrel.

Wow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
The M's dodged a bullet and the Pirates better not step in front of that barrel.

Wow.

Amen to that. I'll say that Upton can hit when I see him do it outside the state of Arizona. As it is, I think he's vastly overpaid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Wow.

Amen to that. I'll say that Upton can hit when I see him do it outside the state of Arizona. As it is, I think he's vastly overpaid.

Seemed like an awfully high price tag to me too. If you're giving up that much talent - or at least potential talent - the guy you're getting in return better be head-and-shoulders your best outfielder, with significant years of control. Obviously he wouldn't be with the Bucs.

Now - a guy like Stanton...I'd give a package like that some more thought. I don't want to give up Cole either...but the thing that gnaws at me about him - and this is just my impression - is that when he has had a chance in big games (big for the level he was at anyway) he's come up short. Maybe I only paid attention to the ones when he got blown out, but still...you need your ace to pitch his best in big games, and I haven't seen that in him yet. Something to work on.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Seemed like an awfully high price tag to me too...

Now - a guy like Stanton...I'd give a package like that some more thought.

Based on the now known price of Upton, I can honestly say that going after Mark Stanton---at this point in time---would not be suitable for the Pirates.

Despite the known and much needed boost he would provide the team, it would not outweigh [the mere and terrifying thought of] the bundle of potential that the Pirates would have to concede.