Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Personal Draft Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:35 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
If he's available Mercado seems like an obvious fit. Based on his age, he's probably at least 2-3 years away from the show, right?

---

I hope Appel drops to the second round. Punk.

I think Mercado - if he's drafted by the Pirates - would probably be ready around 2016-2017. Think a Jameson Taillon timeline. I'd like a college bat or pitcher at #9, someone who can move fast. A Pedro Alvarez/Cole timeline of 1.5 years or maybe 2.5 years since it won't be a top 3 talent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm 

McCutchenistheTruth wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
If he's available Mercado seems like an obvious fit. Based on his age, he's probably at least 2-3 years away from the show, right?

---

I think Mercado - if he's drafted by the Pirates - would probably be ready around 2016-2017. Think a Jameson Taillon timeline. I'd like a college bat or pitcher at #9, someone who can move fast. A Pedro Alvarez/Cole timeline of 1.5 years or maybe 2.5 years since it won't be a top 3 talent.

Dang.

You're probably right that it's best to draft someone who can make the bigs ASAP; it's a smarter play.

Still, sooner or later the Bucs need to find a long-term player at SS.

They blew the Sano thing and took Taillon over Machado... Barmes types aren't going to cut the mustard forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:37 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

---

Dang.

You're probably right that it's best to draft someone who can make the bigs ASAP; it's a smarter play.

Still, sooner or later the Bucs need to find a long-term player at SS.

They blew the Sano thing and took Taillon over Machado... Barmes types aren't going to cut the mustard forever.

Well Sano is going to be a 3B long term; still sucks we don't have him. Taillon is really good. The best shot we have for the future right now is Hanson then Ngoepe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I was kidding. Appel would have had to sign a waiver for the Pirates to be permitted to draft him again. Given his response (and the response of his agent, Scott Boras), I'm doubting that he signed the waiver.

He's a senior. Given the bonus structure, refusing to let the Pirates draft him would only cost him money, assuming that he fell that far again, which I doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 am 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I was kidding. Appel would have had to sign a waiver for the Pirates to be permitted to draft him again. Given his response (and the response of his agent, Scott Boras), I'm doubting that he signed the waiver.

He's a senior. Given the bonus structure, refusing to let the Pirates draft him would only cost him money, assuming that he fell that far again, which I doubt.

True. Still bet he does it though. I bet a team drafts him outside the top 5 and offers him slot and that's it though. I don't think Boras will send players to Independent Ball with the new structure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

True. Still bet he does it though. I bet a team drafts him outside the top 5 and offers him slot and that's it though. I don't think Boras will send players to Independent Ball with the new structure.

Why wouldn't Houston take him at #1 and then offer less than slot like they did with Correa last year. Luhnow knows he has to flood the system with talent so he can work overslot in later rounds again like 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Why wouldn't Houston take him at #1 and then offer less than slot like they did with Correa last year.

That scenario might be even better than him falling back to the Pirates!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 am 

True. Still bet he does it though. I bet a team drafts him outside the top 5 and offers him slot and that's it though. I don't think Boras will send players to Independent Ball with the new structure.[/quote]

Why wouldn't Houston take him at #1 and then offer less than slot like they did with Correa last year. Luhnow knows he has to flood the system with talent so he can work overslot in later rounds again like 2012.[/quote]

Well the theory is last year Lunhow called up multiple people and offered them all the same amount and first one to bite gets picked. I guess I would expect the same thing this year. Doubt Appel is included.