Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Giancarlo Stanton is Available
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 pm 

The Marlins are now making Stanton available for the right price. How much would u give up for him?? I would be willing to give up a ton for this kid...

Post subject: Re: Giancarlo Stanton is Available
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm 

He would make them an instant contender. Don't think the Pirates have the balls to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm 

It's going to take three or four major contributors for the Marlins to be interested. I don't think that the Pirates should deal Cole, Hanson or Polanco but they could deal Marte, Taillon and perhaps Kingham and Bell. That would give the Marlins an immediate replacement for Stanton, a front-end starting pitcher candidate, a mid-rotaton starter and a highly-regarded young switch-hitter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:58 pm 

Don't do it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:53 pm 

Probably no thanks. Here's how I see it. Stanton is most likely NOT enough to send the Pirates to the playoffs in 2012. Thing is, he's around for a while (though 2016 I believe). I feel like that means we need to keep Cole, Taillon, and Hanson since they can contribute by then. Stanton could kinda make either Marte or Polanco tradeable, so I'd start there.

I'd offer Polanco/Marte (one) + Heredia + Barnes + Locke/McPherson + Kingham + Herrera or something like that.

It'd decimate the farm system longterm though. Still, we'd probably make the playoffs twice in 2015-16.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:03 pm 

i don't trade cole or taillon for anything if they are as good as they can be that is our chance to win having two big guns at the top of the rotation, its alot harder to find these types of guys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 pm 

I would be more than happy to trade Cole or Taillon, Marte, Hanson and either Presley or Tabata for Stanton.
That kid is special and would look great next to Cutch in the field and sandwiched between Cutch and Pedro in the batting order...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:35 pm 

Pretty much anyone except Cole.

Taillon and Marte should be a good enough start. Add in Polanco/Bell, Hanson types (or especially Presley/Tabata types if they'd take 'em).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
I would be more than happy to trade Cole or Taillon, Marte, Hanson and either Presley or Tabata for Stanton.
That kid is special and would look great next to Cutch in the field and sandwiched between Cutch and Pedro in the batting order...

This is pretty much what I would have said. We need to stop thinking of prospects as being MLB ready, but rather as suspects, because that is what they are until they're performing in the majors. Stanton is a stud, and really, better than we can expect to get otherwise. But with Stanton to protect both Cutch and Pedro, both become much more likely to replicate last year's numbers. Which otherwise I am not at all confident that they'll do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:36 am 

Any team interested in Stanton better be prepared to give up a ton of young talent. Look at it this way - what would we expect in return for McCutchen?

Stanton is not too far from McCutcen. He had a 5.8 WAR last year despite missing 35 games due to knee surgery. If he plays 150 games, he posts a 7.0 WAR - where McCutchen posted a 7.1 in his brilliant season last year.

Therefore, getting a player of that caliber comes at a cost. The Pirates may be one of 4 or 5 teams that actually has the young talent that would interest the Marlins:

• A young starting OF'er to replace Stanton (Marte)
  • A potential top-end starting pitcher (Taillon)
  • Another legitimate SP'er candidate (Kingham or McPherson, for example)

The Pirates can afford to trade Marte since they put Stanton in the OF.

They can afford to trade Taillon because they have Cole and Heredia as top-tier future starting pitchers.

The Pirates can afford to deal Kingham or McPherson becase they have legitimate SP'er depth in the minors (Locke, Holmes, Glasnow).

I seriously doubt that the Marlins make the deal if for no other reason than public relations. If the team had not dealt Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, etc., then a possible deal would be more likely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 am 

Bucfan, I think the Marlins want to trade Stanton if they get the right deal. Stanton called the Marlins out after the blockbuster deal with Toronto and if there's one thing I know about Jeffrey Loria, he doesn't react well to criticism...
I really hope NH pursues this opportunity. It's time for the Bucs to take a gamble and put some lumber in this offense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:04 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Any team interested in Stanton better be prepared to give up a ton of young talent. Look at it this way - what would we expect in return for McCutchen?

Stanton is not too far from McCutcen. He had a 5.8 WAR last year despite missing 35 games due to knee surgery. If he plays 150 games, he posts a 7.0 WAR - where McCutchen posted a 7.1 in his brilliant season last year.

Therefore, getting a player of that caliber comes at a cost. The Pirates may be one of 4 or 5 teams that actually has the young talent that would interest the Marlins:

They can afford to trade Taillon because they have Cole and Heredia as top-tier future starting pitchers.

The Pirates can afford to deal Kingham or McPherson becase they have legitimate SP'er depth in the minors (Locke, Holmes, Glasnow).

I seriously doubt that the Marlins make the deal if for no other reason than public relations. If the team had not dealt Reyes, Johnson, Buehrle, etc., then a possible deal would be more likely.

I think a trade for Stanton would demand Cole.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 am 

Bucfan wrote:
I seriously doubt that the Marlins make the deal if for no other reason than public relations.

I seriously doubt that the Marlins have many fans left to alienate. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 am 

Bucfan wrote:

I think I would do Marte, Taillon, Kingham, but you are going to have to add more. Probably like Herrera, De-Jhang, and something else. That still might not be close.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 am 

Ryann wrote:

I don't doubt that the Marlins ask for Cole, but if I am the Pirates, I decline that offer. The reason is that Cole is more of a sure thing than Taillon, has 6 years to be a Pirate while Stanton would have 3 more years of team control, and Cole is arguably as big a producer as Stanton.

Genuine No. 1 starting pitchers who deal in the upper 90's, with excellent mechanics, good health up to age 22, and a potential 4-pitch arsenal are as rare as 35 HR hitters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:

I don't doubt that the Marlins ask for Cole, but if I am the Pirates, I decline that offer. The reason is that Cole is more of a sure thing than Taillon, has 6 years to be a Pirate while Stanton would have 3 more years of team control, and Cole is arguably as big a producer as Stanton.

Genuine No. 1 starting pitchers who deal in the upper 90's, with excellent mechanics, good health up to age 22, and a potential 4-pitch arsenal are as rare as 35 HR hitters.

Especially since we already have 2 30hr+ hitters on this team. Mccutchen would have probably had 40 if he didn't slump.

Cole to me is untouchable no matter who is offered.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 pm 

Ryann wrote:

They could demand, but it's doubtful NH budges on that one (unless the rest of the trade is lesser prospects---Cole, Marte and maybe a third player).

In the past the Marlins have sold star players for less, although those players were due some big paydays (Miggy, Reyes, JJ, Buehrle, Bell, etc.)

If the Marlins were serious about moving Stanton and had the Pirates as a possible trade partner in mind, Cole would be the prize, but it would probably be easier to pry a bunch of guys like Taillon, Marte, Polanco, Hanson, K-Mac and/or Bell, etc. than demanding Cole and the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:21 pm 

I've been calling for this ever since the Marlins fire sale began. If a package of, say, Taillon, Marte, Sands, Hanson, and Kingham could bring back Giancarlo Stanton, the Pirates should do it. Pairing him with McCutchen gives the Bucs one of the best 3-4 hitter tandems in the majors for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 pm 

The Marlins' GMs comments about Stanton's supposed availability is no different than NH's comments about McCutchen's availability. No one is "untouchable" in the sense that one could concoct or envision a trade for any player as long as the return is high enough. Hell, if the Bucs offered McCutchen, Cole, Taillon, Heredia, Bell and Marte, I bet the Angels would at least consider trading Trout.

I don't believe that the Marlins are any more interested in trading Stanton than they were in December 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I've been calling for this ever since the Marlins fire sale began. If a package of, say, Taillon, Marte, Sands, Hanson, and Kingham could bring back Giancarlo Stanton, the Pirates should do it. Pairing him with McCutchen gives the Bucs one of the best 3-4 hitter tandems in the majors for years to come.

That's too much. Hanson is nearly unreplaceable as a SS. Stanton is good, but he's not good enough to bring Pittsburgh a ring or maybe even a playoff bid as the only addition. The team is solid right not, but we're two or three pieces away. Cole, Taillon, Marte, Hanson, and Polanco will be those major pieces. Don't trade 3 out of 5. Try and trade one (Marte/Polanco) or two (Taillon) but not more.

My opinion at least.