Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More interesting framing stuff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 am 

Jeff Sullivan broke down pitch receiving by pitch type. For our interest, AJ gets squeezed a ton on his knuckle curve.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... tch-types/

Of course this is all just nonsense to make AJ look like a better fantasy player. Curiously, Sullivan doesn't play fantasy baseball. ;)

Post subject: Re: More interesting framing stuff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:01 pm 

This is where statheads need to stop. Pitch framing being quantified is a bit much. Even the author of the post states how many variables there are. A lot of things have an effect on balls and strikes, which is why some want a computerized strike zone. Who is umpiring. What is the score. Is the pitcher a veteran. Meaningful game or meaningless game. Lots of stuff that can't be quantified, and lots of stuff that shouldn't be a factor on balls/strikes, but we all know is.

Baseball people for years have known which catchers are good at framing pitches. As I said in another post, it's an important catching skill, but one that I don't think can accurately be quantified. Anyone with two eyes knows that Ryan Doumit was lucky to catch the ball let alone frame it. And conversely, everyone knows a guy like Molina steals a few calls with his solid use of this skill.

I fully admit I don't get all of the advanced metrics, nor do I want to get all of them. I'm ok with you guys that really lock in to these. But pitch framing being quantified seems like a stretch...and one I don't care to take.