Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where is our luxury tax money actually going?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
I gave you several scenarios as to where the money could go, and asked if you knew of any.

All were lots more than just "pocketing" the change.

I'll ask the basic one again. Are you happy, or not, that the Prince spent the extra dollars on PNC to make it the best in baseball? Would you rather have a version of Heinz field?

Is paying down the debt incurred putting in the extra's and paying the overages, "pocketing" monies, or is it legit?

ZM

If they are using luxury tax money to paying down debt due to stadium overruns, then no, that isn't right. It should be going back to the team in some way shape or form, whether it be to the MLB roster, minor league development, the draft, whatever have you. We can speculate (if that's ok here) where the tax money has been going because until recently we haven't seen any evidence of where it could possibly of gone besides either into the stadium debt or in the owners pocket. This year we have evidence that they are spending money, based on the Latin American Academy, and the 2008 draft. But where money has gone before that...

To answer your question, I for one would be perfectly happy with a version of Heinz Field or to put in more relative terms, a Turner Field, (a newer but unspectacular stadium) if it meant more money going into the team.

What's so bad about Heinz Field anyway? I actually can't think of any football stadiums off the top of my head that are labeled as beautiful, unlike baseball stadiums. I guess until this comes out next year:

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:40 am 

Frankly, this arguement about where money goes is baseless on all accounts. None of us have had the opportunity to look at the PBC financial records, and we shouldn't either. Do we own the team? No we do not. Each fan has the right to support the PBC or not to, very simple. There is much assumption that Nutting "pockets" the luxury tax, but unless someone can provide hard evidence of such, there is no discussion.

Additionally, players do not "cash it in," I will gaurantee that if any player gave up on the season, Russell would know, NH, would know, and then FC would know, and that player would not have a spot on the roster the next season. These guys are professionals, and on this team everyone is playing for a job next season.

Face it, all of you complainogists(since I'm an apologist, I felt that the other party needs a nickname) are going to find less and less to complain about as this club starts to take shape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am 

omgardd wrote:
It should be going back to the team in some way shape or form, whether it be to the MLB roster, minor league development, the draft, whatever have you.

So I assume then (since that is the word of the day around these parts) that you are equally appalled that the Yankees get to deduct their stadium-building expenses from the amount that they have to pay towards revenue sharing, right? I mean, if the Pirates using revenue sharing money to pay off stadium debt is unethical, certainly deduction of monies not spend on the team in some way shape or form by Steinbrenner should not impact the amount he pays into the pot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:26 pm 

BBF wrote:
omgardd wrote:
It should be going back to the team in some way shape or form, whether it be to the MLB roster, minor league development, the draft, whatever have you.

So I assume then (since that is the word of the day around these parts) that you are equally appalled that the Yankees get to deduct their stadium-building expenses from the amount that they have to pay towards revenue sharing, right? I mean, if the Pirates using revenue sharing money to pay off stadium debt is unethical, certainly deduction of monies not spend on the team in some way shape or form by Steinbrenner should not impact the amount he pays into the pot.

A fair point. If the Yankees and Mets are able to use the funds that would be lost to revenue sharing to build new ballparks, surely the Pirates should be allowed the same latitude in dispensing the funds they receive from revenue sharing.

Personally, I'm opposed to the whole revenue sharing scheme entirely, as those who receive money for nothing will likely engage in rent-seeking behavior or do other things for which the money was not intended. But if we are going to have this revenue sharing scheme, then the teams receiving this money should be given a good amount of discretion as to how to use it, as the team itself should have the business judgment to do with the money what is best for the organization's future. Those that spend that money poorly will suffer on their own, as the Pirates have for the past 16 years.