Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5487
sisyphus wrote:
Bell is at the very least three years away. My guess is that the logjam in the OF might be cleared up long before then.


Mosdef.

Of course, here's hoping it's cleared up because Marte and one of Sands/Snider/Tabata 'figure it out' and become starters or because another guy is brought in and not because Bell is called up to be 'the guy'. :lol:

In any event, in three years Bell may still be a 4th OFer or platoon guy (IF he develops at all). So, at least concerning shorter-term thinking, throwing him in a trade Grossman style isn't a bad idea.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 am
Posts: 88
McCutchenistheTruth wrote:
The roster is far from elite, but the only place I feel like they should seek to improve is to look for a solid mid-rotation starter with at least 2 years of control left. Don't have names off the top of my head, but I'd do it if the Pirates could trade maybe Bell and a C prospect (Zack Dodson or something like that) or a package of Locke/McPherson + Kingham + a C+ prospect like Willy Garcia.

Otherwise, I think just continuing to improve and waiting for Marte, Polanco, Cole, Taillon, Locke, McPherson, Sanchez, and Hanson is the way to go. (All of those guys will start at AA or above except Hanson/Polanco who I think have the talent to move quickly and could be ready in 2015).

Sucks waiting more, but Cutch and Walker ain't going anywhere soon - Cutch is signed through '18 and Walker will be extended at some point - and those are the two true proven building blocks we have right now at the major league level.




I agree with your point of the Bucs needing to consider acquiring a 'mid-rotation' starter which is why I feel that should make an attempt to sign Brett Myers.

Not only would he not cost the Pirates any prospects, he's extremely versatile. He could fill a starting void until the youngsters are ready, then moving to the bullpen as a long or middle reliever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Bucfan wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
Hughes won't make the bullpen?

I knew I was forgetting someone.

Seriously, I kept thinking to myself, "I thought the Pirates had another good R-handed reliever. No? Vin Mazzarro, I guess."

I also forgot about Clint Robinson, who seems like his hitting ability is too good to leave in AAA.

As to having 2 back-up MI'ers ... I very much prefer the prospect of a Clint Robinson or Jerry Sands pinch hitting than Ivan Dejesus or Jordy Mercer doing so.


As do I, my point was that the precedent is that the Pirates prefer to go with two bench guys capable of playing MI. Maybe now that they have a roster full of 4th outfielders that will change. Dunno.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5064
Location: Pittsburgh
NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Bell is at the very least three years away. My guess is that the logjam in the OF might be cleared up long before then.


Mosdef.

Of course, here's hoping it's cleared up because Marte and one of Sands/Snider/Tabata 'figure it out' and become starters or because another guy is brought in and not because Bell is called up to be 'the guy'. :lol:

In any event, in three years Bell may still be a 4th OFer or platoon guy (IF he develops at all). So, at least concerning shorter-term thinking, throwing him in a trade Grossman style isn't a bad idea.

It's a terrible idea. Grossman and Bell have nothing in common beyond the fact that bot are outfielders. Grossman was a 6th round draft choice. Bell was a ranked by the Pirates as a top 5 player, and I didn't see anybody who ranked him below the top 15. They gave him five times as much money as they gave Grossman. Bell has too much talent to be "thrown in" on a deal. You can trade him, but first he has to demonstrate that his knee is okay, and your return has to be top quality.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5487
Stumbled upon this and immediately thought of this thread:

http://rumbunter.com/2013/01/07/pittsbu ... ro-really/

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 25 Man Roster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6201
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], StarlingArcher and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits