Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates To Sign Francisco Liriano
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Reading that it's his non-throwing arm. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Nothing like being lied to-

Rob Biertempfel @BiertempfelTrib

LHP Francisco Liriano injured right arm in Dec. #Pirates continue to talk to agent, but no deal imminent

I trust Biertempfel less than I would trust Richard Nixon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 pm 

This could open up the opportunity to sign either Lohse or Marcum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:12 pm 

Willton wrote:

Does either one cost a draft pick?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Willton wrote:

Does either one cost a draft pick?

I think Lohse does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 am 

Willton wrote:

No thanks to Lohse, not worth losing the draft pick. Marcum is someone I always liked. A solid innings eater.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 am 

It's not going to break my heart if we don't sign Liriano. I was skeptical about his chances.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am 

Willton wrote:

Or Jeff Karstens.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Or Jeff Karstens.

Karstens still available? Shocking. Utterly shocking. Perhaps NH and Gayo are spreading lies about his age or health and scaring other teams away. Or . . . perhaps . . . he just isn't a much sought out commodity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Karstens still available? Shocking. Utterly shocking. Perhaps NH and Gayo are spreading lies about his age or health and scaring other teams away. Or . . . perhaps . . . he just isn't a much sought out commodity.

Alternatively, Karstens' agent knows that he'll be more valuable in February or early March when teams have injuries or become desperate for starting pitching. But hey, you can take the "reflexively pro-Huntington" position if you like...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Alternatively, Karstens' agent knows that he'll be more valuable in February or early March when teams have injuries or become desperate for starting pitching. But hey, you can take the "reflexively pro-Huntington" position if you like...

Pot, meet kettle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Why don't all free agent pitchers take that approach if it makes them more valuable?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:15 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

It's not a "pro-Huntington" position. It is simultaneously a market analysis and commentary on the "sky is falling" attitude demonstrated by some when Karstens was non-tendered.

If Karstens was truly a valuable, sought after commodity, teams wouldn't be waiting to add him to their roster only after injuries occurred in the Spring. If that is indeed the mindset and approach adopted by other GMs, then they obviously value the players on their roster ahead of Karstens.

I really don't give a damn about whether Jeff Karstens was non-tendered. I see the positives in doing so and see the negatives in doing so. It involved a judgment call. Similar to not concluding that Huntington was an idiot for letting Karstens go, I would not be proclaiming Huntington to be a genius for tendering an offer and going to arbitration. 6 of one; 1/2 dozen of the other. In the big scheme of what is right and what is wrong with the current roster and management structure, the Karstens situation is a non-issue in my eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.

I'm not reflexively anti-Huntington. I posted in this very thread that I liked the Liriano signing (though I added the caveat that I would have preferred a one-year deal).

Viewing his overall five-year body of work, I think Huntington should be fired. That doesn't mean all of his moves are bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

It's not a "pro-Huntington" position. It is simultaneously a market analysis and commentary on the "sky is falling" attitude demonstrated by some when Karstens was non-tendered.

If Karstens was truly a valuable, sought after commodity, teams wouldn't be waiting to add him to their roster only after injuries occurred in the Spring. If that is indeed the mindset and approach adopted by other GMs, then they obviously value the players on their roster ahead of Karstens.

I really don't give a damn about whether Jeff Karstens was non-tendered. I see the positives in doing so and see the negatives in doing so. It involved a judgment call. Similar to not concluding that Huntington was an idiot for letting Karstens go, I would not be proclaiming Huntington to be a genius for tendering an offer and going to arbitration. 6 of one; 1/2 dozen of the other. In the big scheme of what is right and what is wrong with the current roster and management structure, the Karstens situation is a non-issue in my eyes.

I never said the "sky was falling" when the Pirates non-tendered Karstens. All I said was that I thought it was a dumb move. That was my opinion then, and that's still my opinion now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I'm not reflexively anti-Huntington. I posted in this very thread that I liked the Liriano signing (though I added the caveat that I would have preferred a one-year deal).

Viewing his overall five-year body of work, I think Huntington should be fired. That doesn't mean all of his moves are bad.

Oh, I see. Grudgingly acknowledging that the Liriano signing was a positive while making sure to qualify your position that Huntington could have done better is an indication that you are not reflexively anti-Huntington. Riiiiiight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm 

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Oh, I see. Grudgingly acknowledging that the Liriano signing was a positive while making sure to qualify your position that Huntington could have done better is an indication that you are not reflexively anti-Huntington. Riiiiiight.

I gave unqualified praise for the A.J. Burnett acquisition, and I wholly supported the Wandy Rodriguez (even as many criticized it). I am certainly not reflexively anti-Huntington.

I came to have a negative opinion on Huntington's overall five-year body of work based on reason and logic, not reflexive criticism.

Meanwhile, you describe Walt Jocketty as "in the dark ages of baseball" while he leads the Reds to the playoffs two of the last three years and has them positioned as the NL Central favorite in 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I gave unqualified praise for the A.J. Burnett acquisition, and I wholly supported the Wandy Rodriguez (even as many criticized it). I am certainly not reflexively anti-Huntington.

I came to have a negative opinion on Huntington's overall five-year body of work based on reason and logic, not reflexive criticism.

Meanwhile, you describe Walt Jocketty as "in the dark ages of baseball" while he leads the Reds to the playoffs two of the last three years and has them positioned as the NL Central favorite in 2013.

Being defiantly old-school does not preclude winning, as Jocketty has proven. I just don't think it's a wise way to run an organization long term.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm 

Willton wrote:
Being defiantly old-school does not preclude winning, as Jocketty has proven. I just don't think it's a wise way to run an organization long term.

His long-term success with the Cardinals, including an incredible run from 2000-2006, says otherwise.

We'll see if the Reds peter out or continue to contend and qualify for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

I never said the "sky was falling" when the Pirates non-tendered Karstens. All I said was that I thought it was a dumb move. That was my opinion then, and that's still my opinion now.

I never levied any such accusation towards you. You were the one who jumped on my post and accused me of being "reflexively pro-Huntington."

There are any number of teams who could add a quality 4th or 5th slot starting pitcher. Thus far, I have yet to read one article identifying that any team is clamoring to replace one of their existing 4th or 5th starters with Jeff Karstens. And if Karstens was widely viewed by other scouts and GMs as a valuable commodity, why would any team wait to sign him at risk of some other team jumping in and signing him? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next