Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates To Sign Francisco Liriano
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
So we have nine candidates to pitch for the Pirates in 2013.

Starting Five:

A.J. Burnett
Wandy Rodriguez
James McDonald
Francisco Liriano
Jeff Karstens

The Four Just Behind:

Kyle McPherson
Jeff Locke
Charlie Morton (starting in May/June)
Gerritt Cole

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Karstens start the season in the bullpen, with Locke in the rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

As we all know, it is unreasonable to expect 5 out of 5 starting pitcher candidates to (1) make it through the season healthy and (2) uniformly perform up to expectations.

That is why legitimate depth matters. Personally, I think McFear is good enough to start for most major league teams. His plus velocity, killer slider, and command impressed me last year.

Add in a solid lefty like Locke, and Karstens as a "fall-back," and the pitching is coming together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm 

I second that emotion.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 pm 

The idea of Karstens as a long reliever/spot starter is great. If Correia could do it...

Also, Chaz-Mo would probably be best/most effective out of the pen, yes?

We all know that he CAN dominate in small stretches and has 'filthy stuff', but is prone to falling apart or have flat out terrible outings.

Not having the pressure to perform for long stretches and being fully able to 'let 'er rip' has led to many starters-turned relievers dominating.

So unless a slew of injuries or breakdowns happen (*knock on wood*) all the rotation needs is K-Mac/Locke/Karstens to fill in the 4/5 role until Cole is called up.

So like BD and Val said, this Liriano business has the rotation looking up. Liriano AND Karstens. Win-win!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 am 

Bucfan wrote:
As we all know, it is unreasonable to expect 5 out of 5 starting pitcher candidates to (1) make it through the season healthy and (2) uniformly perform up to expectations.

That is why legitimate depth matters. Personally, I think McFear is good enough to start for most major league teams. His plus velocity, killer slider, and command impressed me last year.

Add in a solid lefty like Locke, and Karstens as a "fall-back," and the pitching is coming together.

Agreed on McPherson. I like him far, far more than Locke. The Liriano signing is a big plus. And if he finds his old form, it's an even bigger plus. If Cole kills it at AAA and is ready by mid year, who knows, you may actually have some trade bait in that mix somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Agreed on McPherson. I like him far, far more than Locke. The Liriano signing is a big plus. And if he finds his old form, it's an even bigger plus. If Cole kills it at AAA and is ready by mid year, who knows, you may actually have some trade bait in that mix somewhere...

The one red flag with McFear is the shoulder. It cost him a big chunk of 2012 and flared up this winter. I love the talent and think he can be a #3-4 SP on a good team, but lets not forget he only has 18.1 IP at AAA. Locke has a very good future too with his control and 91mph from the left side. May the best man win, the loser takes SP #6 to Indy. Of course both could make it if Liriano's arm holds him up a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The one red flag with McFear is the shoulder. It cost him a big chunk of 2012 and flared up this winter. I love the talent and think he can be a #3-4 SP on a good team, but lets not forget he only has 18.1 IP at AAA. Locke has a very good future too with his control and 91mph from the left side. May the best man win, the loser takes SP #6 to Indy. Of course both could make it if Liriano's arm holds him up a few weeks.

Locke just didn't look like a major league pitcher to me. He hasn't logged enough innings, obviously, to make a difinitive judgement on him...just a feeling I got from watching him pitch...