Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SS Moves
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm 

pirate1218 wrote:
i am not a huge believer in some of those formulas

The problem for Gordon is that no statistic or formula suggests he was good in 2012. More to the point, the statistics show he was awful last year.

pirate1218 wrote:
I am not saying he is a future all star, but it's not like we have a bunch of talent at SS either . His speed could be a huge assett, even as the back up SS late game pinch running situations. That speed will win you a few games over the course of a season

I would have no disagreement with signing Gordon as a player released by the Dodgers and giving him time in AAA to see if he can learn to get on base.

But we are talking about trading Hanrahan - a very good relief pitcher with a proven track record with the Pirates since coming over in trade (229 IP, just 177 H's allowed, 98 BB, 265 K's, 1.18 WHIP, 82 saves) - for Gordon.

That is the source of my displeasure. Gordon is not good enough - not remotely good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm 

gordan for hannrahan of course isn't fair, but neither is some of the names i am hearing from boston, at least gordans speed is usefull

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 pm 

pirate1218 wrote:
gordan for hannrahan of course isn't fair, but neither is some of the names i am hearing from boston, at least gordans speed is usefull

Not if he can't hit or field.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:12 pm 

pirate1218 wrote:
i am not a huge believer in some of those formulas, my point was that guys like gorden keeps finding jobs, they must have some value or teams would not keep using them. If gordan can get on base at the same rate as barmes did last season ( which won't be hard to do) his speed will create runs when he does get on base. I am not saying he is a future all star, but it's not like we have a bunch of talent at SS either . His speed could be a huge assett, even as the back up SS late game pinch running situations. That speed will win you a few games over the course of a season

Merely believing it does not make it so. Gordon, with all his speed, has failed to create enough runs for the Dodgers to deem him worth keeping, and the Dodgers had a horrific offense last season. Even the Dodgers have recognized that speed is not an important skill to have on offense. As they say, you can't steal first base.

I don't see how Gordon would help except as a bench player. Barmes was excellent with the glove last year, and he could at least hit more than 1 HR every 200 plate appearances.