Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 921
I think the Indians won this one.....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87384 ... amondbacks

D'backs Get
Didi Gregourius SS
Tony Sipp LHP
Lars Anderson 1B

Indians Get
Drew Stubbs OF
Trevor Bauer RHP
Matt Albers RHP
Bryan Shaw RHP

Reds Get
Sin-Soo Choo OF
Jason Donald INF


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10741
Very interesting trade. Bucs Dugout reported that according to Jayson Stark, the Pirates were a potential player in a 4-team deal involving Choo and major players like Justin Upton and James Shields. That discussion ended when Shields was dealt for Myers.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/12/ ... oo-indians

I have been a bit less attentive to all things sports over the past few months, and did not realize that the Royals dealt a tremendous hitting prospect in Wil Myers. Holy clean-up hitter, Batman, too bad the Pirates did not obtain Myers from the Royals.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5891
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Its been reported that the D'Backs really disliked Trevor Bauer's attitude. Looks like they got rid of that "problem."

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10741
No. 9 wrote:
Its been reported that the D'Backs really disliked Trevor Bauer's attitude.

I recall that after he was called up, Bauer and the D'Backs coaches disagreed as to his approach and pitch selection. Bauer wanted to throw more breaking balls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Pretty stunning that they gave up Bauer for Gregorius a no hit, great glove SS. Amazing that the Indians got Bauer and a shot at fixing Stubbs for one year of Choo. Kevin Towers is an odd duck, me thinks he got too fixated on having to get a SS. He actually compared Gregorius to a young Derek Jeter yesterday, please.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Amazing that the Indians got Bauer and a shot at fixing Stubbs for one year of Choo.


I actually like this deal for the Reds. I'm not the type of traditionalist who over-stresses the value of a "leadoff hitter" but Choo (especially at GABP) could have a huge impact on that line-up, a team that lacked such and has been a legitimate WS contender the last few years despite the playoff chokes. You look at the projected line-up, Choo/Phillips/Votto/Bruce, and assuming Ludwick doesn't drastically regress and Frazier's rookie season was for real - it's pretty devastating.

Stubbs had the three years of control and yeah I guess by default a player who is fast and can play CF has inherent value but this is after all a projected speedy lead-off guy who strikes out 160+ times a year, so the "fixing" is going to be quite a job. I don't see him being anything more than a platoon guy in the future.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Amazing that the Indians got Bauer and a shot at fixing Stubbs for one year of Choo.


I actually like this deal for the Reds. I'm not the type of traditionalist who over-stresses the value of a "leadoff hitter" but Choo (especially at GABP) could have a huge impact on that line-up, a team that lacked such and has been a legitimate WS contender the last few years despite the playoff chokes. You look at the projected line-up, Choo/Phillips/Votto/Bruce, and assuming Ludwick doesn't drastically regress and Frazier's rookie season was for real - it's pretty devastating.

Stubbs had the three years of control and yeah I guess by default a player who is fast and can play CF has inherent value but this is after all a projected speedy lead-off guy who strikes out 160+ times a year, so the "fixing" is going to be quite a job. I don't see him being anything more than a platoon guy in the future.


Me too. I like it for the Reds, love it for Cleveland, hate it for Arizona.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 3 Team Trade Reds-D'Backs-Indians
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10741
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Me too. I like it for the Reds, love it for Cleveland, hate it for Arizona.

Pretty much my take, though Stubbs has not progressed from his good 2010 season and in fact was simply awful for long stretches the past 2 years.

He is now 28 years old and does not seem to me to be a candidate to improve much from where he was last year and the season prior. His OPS has plummeted for two consecutive seasons:

2010 - .773
2011 - .686
2012 - .610

A .610 OPS is simply awful. Barmes' career OPS is .688, and for as God-awful as Barmes was the first half of 2012, he wound up the season with an OPS of .593.

That is shouting distance from what Stubbs posted last year, as an OF'er, not a SS.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits