Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nick Swisher A Yankee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:31 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Quote:
The New York Yankees started their offseason makeover by acquiring Nick Swisher from the Chicago White Sox on Thursday.

Swisher, who can play first base and all three outfield spots, was obtained for pitching prospect Jeff Marquez and infielder Wilson Betemit. The teams also swapped a pair of minor league right-handers as part of the deal, with Chicago receiving Jhonny Nunez and New York getting Kaneoka Texeira.

Swisher, who turns 28 on Nov. 25, hit just .219 with 24 homers and 69 RBIs last season.

“He’s selective,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “He’s got power.”

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Nick Swisher A Yankee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:32 am 

Yanks arent as worried about getting texiera now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 am 

Ryann wrote:
Yanks arent as worried about getting texiera now.

They can comfortably afford both. Swisher can play the outfield, Abreu isn't coming back and Cashman is more than likely shopping Matsui.

If Nady falls back to his career norms and Damon and Swisher continue their respective declines, the Yankees will have one seriously mediocre outfield to christen their new stadium.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:19 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah, I know I want that .219 average on my team.

Guess they view last year as an aberration. But, given the performance of most ex-A's, I'm not so sure.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Yeah, I know I want that .219 average on my team.

Guess they view last year as an aberration. But, given the performance of most ex-A's, I'm not so sure.

ZM

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Last I checked, Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Johnny Damon, Tim Hudson, Jermaine Dye, Danny Haren, and Rich Harden all performed quite well after leaving the A's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:30 pm 

Some of those guys have done well after they left Oakland, but after a few years elsewhere they have started to tail off...Mainly their pitchers
And I dont really think you can classify Damon since he was only in Oakland a year, I believe it was meant as guys who were drafted and started their careers in Oakland.

Hudson had 142 innings pitched this season...I'm sure 3 straight years of throwing 230 plus innings in Oakland helped that
Zito has completely stunk
Mark Mulder has pitched in 6 games the past 2 seasons
Harden had arm issues before this past season
Though Tejada's power has decreased over the years, but that might have been from the lack of his vitamin B shots...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yep,

Dye and Damon are both KC products. Remember their Tony Pena year?

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:57 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Some of those guys have done well after they left Oakland, but after a few years elsewhere they have started to tail off...Mainly their pitchers
And I dont really think you can classify Damon since he was only in Oakland a year, I believe it was meant as guys who were drafted and started their careers in Oakland.

Hudson had 142 innings pitched this season...I'm sure 3 straight years of throwing 230 plus innings in Oakland helped that
Though Tejada's power has decreased over the years, but that might have been from the lack of his vitamin B shots...

While you raise good points on the above-mentioned players, I don't think that supports a general conclusion that "all players that come from the A's are bad investments." If anything, it exemplifies the risks a team takes when acquiring a player from another team, especially if that player is advanced in years or, in the case of pitchers, has undergone a lot of use. The points you make about the players above could likely be applied to a group of players that originated from any team in the league.

It makes more sense to evaluate players on an individual basis. Treating a player's history with the A's as a black mark on his resume lacks merit, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Who said "all"?

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:46 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Who said "all"?

ZM

Even "most" would lack merit. Most players that come from any team are just like those that come from the A's: risky. If a team lets a player get away, there's usually a meritorious reason. That's why it's risky to bet on free agency as the means to improve a team. A sweeping generalization like "most players that come from the A's are bad" is misleading.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:11 pm 

Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

While you raise good points on the above-mentioned players, I don't think that supports a general conclusion that "all players that come from the A's are bad investments." If anything, it exemplifies the risks a team takes when acquiring a player from another team, especially if that player is advanced in years or, in the case of pitchers, has undergone a lot of use. The points you make about the players above could likely be applied to a group of players that originated from any team in the league.

It makes more sense to evaluate players on an individual basis. Treating a player's history with the A's as a black mark on his resume lacks merit, in my opinion.

I wasn't trying to black mark the A's...I think Beane did a good job knowing these guys' potentials, used them til it was time to give them up before they started to decline, dealt them and reloaded to do it again...
I'd love if the Pirates can do this soon...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:38 pm 

Jermaine Dye started out with the Atlanta Braves.

------------

Yep,

Dye and Damon are both KC products. Remember their Tony Pena year?

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:11 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Willton wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I wasn't trying to black mark the A's...I think Beane did a good job knowing these guys' potentials, used them til it was time to give them up before they started to decline, dealt them and reloaded to do it again...
I'd love if the Pirates can do this soon...

Given Nady's 128 point drop in OPS after the trade, maybe they already have.