Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would You Be Interested In A 20 HR SS?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 am 

Russell Martin said he's willing to move to SS for Team Canada in the World Baseball Classic. He said it's his natural position.

Quote:
"Over the course of this next contract, it's all about getting my offense up," he said. "If I can do that, it will open up the possibilities for me to play other positions."
And if you're wondering why Martin is suddenly so interested in pursuing opportunities at other positions, such as shortstop, entering his age 30 season, his answer is pretty simple.
"It's a lot less dangerous than catcher."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... nM-;_ylv=3

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Would You Be Interested In A 20 HR SS?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 am 

Joke all you want but he may be our next catcher

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/p ... artin.html

Quote:
Free agent catcher Russell Martin is receiving significant interest from the Pirates and Mariners, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Yankees remain the favorites to sign Martin, but it appears that they'll have to duke it out with the Bucs and M's in addition to the Rangers.

Interest from the Pirates and Mariners makes sense as Pittsburgh has a glaring need at the position while the Mariners are looking for offense at a variety of spots, including catcher. The Mariners have Jesus Montero and John Jaso, but Montero is likely to see more time at DH next season.

Rosenthal writes that the Rangers in particular pose a significant threat to the cost-conscious Yankees who are looking to get under the $189MM luxury tax threshold by 2014. However, the Bombers might be willing to stretch for Martin if it requires about $2MM more than they would like to spend.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/p ... clrq1yQ.99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 pm 

I'd be interested in a 20 HR anything. Supposedly he wants 4 years and $40 million. Seems steep for the Buccos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If you want Russell Martin to hit 20 HRs for the Buccos, you'll have to move them to NY and let him play in Yankee Stadium. I think this would be a colossal waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm 

I'd be happy to see the Pirates spend money. I would not be happy to see them waste money.

Russell Martin would be a huge waste of money. He won't hit worth squat at PNC, and he won't throw anyone out on the basepaths unless our pitchers start controlling the running game.

There are no FA solutions at SS or C this year. Take the money and get a pitcher. Please.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm 

BBF wrote:
I'd be happy to see the Pirates spend money. I would not be happy to see them waste money.

Russell Martin would be a huge waste of money. He won't hit worth squat at PNC, and he won't throw anyone out on the basepaths unless our pitchers start controlling the running game.

There are no FA solutions at SS or C this year. Take the money and get a pitcher. Please.

Agreed on all counts. They are going to have to trade to get a competent catcher. Sanchez isn't ready, and may never be. McKenry will need a platoon guy with him. So trading for someone more reasonably priced and certainly more competent than Martin would be preferable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm 

I'd sooner see them bring Barajas back than pay market value for Martin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
I'd sooner see them bring Barajas back than pay market value for Martin.

Same. Barajas and Martin appear to be rather similar hitters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 pm 

BBF wrote:

Not sure how a 2-3 WAR catcher with plus framing skills isn't worth $8 million a year. Not saying he's a must get, but the price range is fair and revenue is coming (and inflation with it). Some are saying that the cost of a win will hit $8-9 million (as opposed to $5-6 million right now). We'd be paying for 5 wins by today's prices, maybe 3 by tomorrow's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 pm 

For outside perspective -

12:34 11/28

Comment From Dougie
John Perrotto reports that the Pirates are offering Russell Martin 3/$25. He'd like the Yankees to match that, or would sign with the Pirates for a 4th year. Is 3/25 crazy for Martin?
12:34

Dave Cameron:
Not at all. Martin's a perfectly serviceable MLB catcher. The Pirates don't have any of those.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:05 pm 

I don't mind that deal at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF wrote:

Not sure how a 2-3 WAR catcher with plus framing skills isn't worth $8 million a year. Not saying he's a must get, but the price range is fair and revenue is coming (and inflation with it). Some are saying that the cost of a win will hit $8-9 million (as opposed to $5-6 million right now). We'd be paying for 5 wins by today's prices, maybe 3 by tomorrow's.

I'm not convinced he'll remain a 2-3 WAR catcher for the next three years. His oWAR last year was 2.2, dWAR of 0.1.

I think it is very likely that his power numbers will be depressed playing in PNC compared to Yankee Stadium, and for someone who hit just barely over the Mendoza line last year, I'm not hopeful his WAR will hit 2.

And as I noted, his CS% is likely to drop precipitously next year as well since our pitching staff doesn't control the running game at all.

Finally, while I know 30 isn't old any more, catchers with hip injuries don't last forever. Not sure I want to be paying $8mil to a 33 year old backstop 3 years from now (inflation or not) when we may need the money for a final piece or two in our pennant run.
On a team with limited resources, I'd rather see money spent on the rotation, and trade for someone like Arrencibia to stick behind the plate. If Martin was coming on a one year deal with an option, eh, ok. Don't like 3 years of him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm 

BBF wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF wrote:

I'm not convinced he'll remain a 2-3 WAR catcher for the next three years. His oWAR last year was 2.2, dWAR of 0.1.

I think it is very likely that his power numbers will be depressed playing in PNC compared to Yankee Stadium, and for someone who hit just barely over the Mendoza line last year, I'm not hopeful his WAR will hit 2.

And as I noted, his CS% is likely to drop precipitously next year as well since our pitching staff doesn't control the running game at all.

Finally, while I know 30 isn't old any more, catchers with hip injuries don't last forever. Not sure I want to be paying $8mil to a 33 year old backstop 3 years from now (inflation or not) when we may need the money for a final piece or two in our pennant run.
On a team with limited resources, I'd rather see money spent on the rotation, and trade for someone like Arrencibia to stick behind the plate. If Martin was coming on a one year deal with an option, eh, ok. Don't like 3 years of him.

Oh I agree, I'd much rather see Edwin Jackson or Brandon McCarthy signed. If that is not possible, then I would be OK with Martin. I agree that Arencibia would be a cheap guy to add. I wager we could get him and a prospect for Joel.