Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Agency
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 pm 

Free Agency begins on Saturday as the offseason starts up in earnest. Teams have until tomorrow to tender the $13.4 million offers to compensation free agents (probably no more than 10 players will get offers). Due to this early deadline teams will know who will cost a pick or not from day 1 this year. We may see the market move quicker than in the past due to the new rules. The big question is how much inflation will we see due to the extra $27 million in each team's budgets for 2014?

Time has essentially almost run out on Nutting making major changes to the front office.

Post subject: Re: Free Agency
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:53 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Free Agency begins on Saturday as the offseason starts up in earnest. Teams have until tomorrow to tender the $13.4 million offers to compensation free agents (probably no more than 10 players will get offers). Due to this early deadline teams will know who will cost a pick or not from day 1 this year. We may see the market move quicker than in the past due to the new rules. The big question is how much inflation will we see due to the extra $27 million in each team's budgets for 2014?

Time has essentially almost run out on Nutting making major changes to the front office.

My views on this owner have been state here before, and my opinion on needing to replace this management team is also well documented...

This waiting around in silence is getting ridiculous. Starkey gets an email response for his recent story stating that the process is ongoing. DK made it sound like a source told him it would be in the next couple days. If you are Nutting, you know where things stand in your organization...heck you've stated yourself you aren't pleased with things. You know how you are being viewed throughout baseball. What is the delay? I'm sorry, but I just don't have faith in this owner at all. I don't believe him, regardless of how many times DK tells me, when he says he wants to win. If that were true, these guys would already be gone...including that buffoon Coonelly that keeps acting like the voice of the Pirates.

You are right. You want your cards lined up heading in to the offseason...and I agree that it probably means he is going to keep everyone. So I will prepare myself for more Barajas, Barmes, Iwamura, etc, etc, etc..... :x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm 

I refuse to believe that Nutting doesn't care about winning, regardless of how many other people believe it. It just doesn't make sense. Why would he not want to win? Yes he is turning a modest profit now, but he could make a lot more with a winning team. Our ticket prices are among the lowest in baseball, and our stadium is more than half empty most week nights.

But it does seem like the time has passed to fire the GM. I guess Neil gets another year, like it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:22 pm 

Interesting question/answer in DK's chat today -

Comment From Jerkstore
Would it be fair to say that Bob Nutting has been the most effective part of this management team? From what we are told he has funded every request for draft picks and free agent signings that Huntington and Coonelly ever made. He also provided money to sign long term extensions to Tabata and Cutch. It seems to me that Bob might be the least of the teams problems.
1:21

Dejan Kovacevic:
To date, yes, Nutting has been better than any of them. But he still, for reasons I'll never really understand, the one that ELECTS to take all the arrows for the mistakes of those under him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm 

I think there is a difference between "wanting to win" and "knowing what to do to win". Just like there is a difference between "wanting to be a millionaire" and "knowing what to do to earn a million dollars".

I don't doubt at all that Nutting wants to win. But does he know what he is doing as an owner? This isn't a ski resort or a newspaper. He did what any business man would do- bring in an "expert" (in this case, from the commissioner's office) and trust him.

That said, I think there is enough evidence for Nutting to conclude that this "expert" isn't getting the job done. Maybe he thinks differently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:17 pm 

BBF wrote:
I think there is a difference between "wanting to win" and "knowing what to do to win". Just like there is a difference between "wanting to be a millionaire" and "knowing what to do to earn a million dollars".

I don't doubt at all that Nutting wants to win. But does he know what he is doing as an owner? This isn't a ski resort or a newspaper. He did what any business man would do- bring in an "expert" (in this case, from the commissioner's office) and trust him.

That said, I think there is enough evidence for Nutting to conclude that this "expert" isn't getting the job done. Maybe he thinks differently.

Agree. I don't believe that FC is the best guy to oversee the baseball end of things. Put him on the business side and let him do his thing.

As for the baseball side...I read that Buck Showalter may be interested in doing something other than managing. If it were up to me I'd give him the keys to 115 Federal Street and tell him, build me a winner. I believe he could.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Free agency...YAY! Time for the Pirates to sign an "innings-eater" for the rotation. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Free agency...YAY! Time for the Pirates to sign an "innings-eater" for the rotation. Sigh.

Funny you say that, MLBTR projects that we will sign Jeremy Guthrie as said "innings-eater". That would be pretty uninspired.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:03 am 

The eight compensation free agents - Swisher, Kuroda, R.Soriano, Bourn, Lohse, Hamilton, Upton, and LaRoche. You can cross those 8 off your wishlist because it will cost the 14th overall pick to sign one.

Dan Haren was not tendered a contract so he will be in play. The top of the SP list (beyond Grienke) looks like this -

Ryan Dempster
Dan Haren
Edwin Jackson
Brandon McCarthy
Anibal Sanchez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:10 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The eight compensation free agents - Swisher, Kuroda, R.Soriano, Bourn, Lohse, Hamilton, Upton, and LaRoche. You can cross those 8 off your wishlist because it will cost the 14th overall pick to sign one.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Pirates brought back LaRoche AND it cost them the 14th overall pick?! :shock: :lol:

Also, the same applies for (pipe dream) Grienke, yes?

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Dan Haren was not tendered a contract so he will be in play. The top of the SP list (beyond Grienke) looks like this -

Ryan Dempster
Dan Haren
Edwin Jackson
Brandon McCarthy
Anibal Sanchez

What's the consensus around here on Anibal? (Wildly) Underrated or just 'solid'?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:15 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Ryan Dempster
Dan Haren
Edwin Jackson
Brandon McCarthy
Anibal Sanchez

What's the consensus around here on Anibal? (Wildly) Underrated or just 'solid'?

Anibal is very good, I don't think we will be able to afford him at $14-15 million a year for 4 or 5 years. I also wonder if BMac will move after his brain surgery and question marks about his ability to get back on the mound. Dempster seems to want to go back to Chicago. That leaves EJax (who we know we wanted) and Haren. Once again, a trade like the AJ deal might be our best option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm 

Joakim Soria is officially a FA.

I know he's coming off TJ, but... the Bucs need an arm for the 'pen. It's mostly Brandon Lyons and Matt Capps types.

Soria could be a steal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Don't throw anything at me but...maybe Melky Cabrera on a one-year deal?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Don't throw anything at me but...maybe Melky Cabrera on a one-year deal?

Jason Bay's contract has been terminated by the Mets.

Feel free to throw things at me! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Jason Bay's contract has been terminated by the Mets.

Feel free to throw things at me! :D

No thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 am 
 WWW  Profile

Maybe Cabrera has some products left over for Bay to sample.