Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd, no mention about the additional 26 million....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 am 

http://m.mlb.com/pit/news/article/2012102640067604/

...the Pirates will recieve starting next season in this article on the Pirates site. Front some money to get a couple of impact free agents for once instead of going for the low end free agents. Your team was close enough this year that only a dipshit would have an issue seeing that the addition of an impact free agents could propel them to a playoff shot.

How many seasons can we hear 'the players we have just have to play better'?

Post subject: Re: Odd, no mention about the additional 26 million....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:18 am 

The problem with this is, every club is getting that sum, so nothing changes but the cost af getting a free-agent. The mid-range free agent will now command top-range money and the top end guys will break new ground. The relative impact is not changed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 am 

Obviously didn't read the article. The article states they only have 5 million to spend so don't expect any signings other than the typical dumpster diving.

Peavy just extended with the sox for 14.5 per on a 2 year deal. Doesn't seem like he reached for the stars there. Let's see what others sign for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

...the Pirates will recieve starting next season in this article on the Pirates site. Front some money to get a couple of impact free agents for once instead of going for the low end free agents. Your team was close enough this year that only a dipshit would have an issue seeing that the addition of an impact free agents could propel them to a playoff shot.

Remember that after everyone's raises that 26 million will go quick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Obviously didn't read the article. The article states they only have 5 million to spend so don't expect any signings other than the typical dumpster diving.

Peavy just extended with the sox for 14.5 per on a 2 year deal. Doesn't seem like he reached for the stars there. Let's see what others sign for.

Peavy's deal is actually $33 million ($29 + $4 buyout on his old deal) for 2 years plus a $15 million option that vests based on his health in years 1 and 2. So it very well could be $48 million for 3 years. I still think he could have done better on the open market.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Also, this was discussed on a thread you started weeks ago -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10212

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10212

So? The article on the Pirates site was not from weeks ago and the point of the thread is they don't mention it in this article right from the Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

http://www.pittsburghsports.net/viewtop ... =1&t=10212

So? The article on the Pirates site was not from weeks ago and the point of the thread is they don't mention it in this article right from the Pirates.

That's because it was already known, the Pirates website is not a good source of information on anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:22 pm 

First off, I assume articles posted on the Pirates own site are approved by the Pirates therefore the information is coming from them or the nod is given by them to post the article.

Second, this latest article posted just the other day states that they won't go after any name free agents because they only have 5 million to spend. That information was not stated before and this is the first article coming from the Pirates saying that information. So them saying they only have 5 million to spend was not 'known'.....its new information.

So they are using 'only having 5 million to spend' as a pre-emptive excuse as to why they won't do anything in the free agency period. That is the whole point of the original post....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
First off, I assume articles posted on the Pirates own site are approved by the Pirates therefore the information is coming from them or the nod is given by them to post the article.

Second, this latest article posted just the other day states that they won't go after any name free agents because they only have 5 million to spend. That information was not stated before and this is the first article coming from the Pirates saying that information. So them saying they only have 5 million to spend was not 'known'.....its new information.

So they are using 'only having 5 million to spend' as a pre-emptive excuse as to why they won't do anything in the free agency period. That is the whole point of the original post....

I was unclear on your intent as apparently you were saying the Pirates.com article did not mention the money. The money doesn't come until 2014, so how would that effect 2013 budgeting? I'll repeat again that pirates.com is not a source of good Pirates news. The beat writers on mlb.com have little team access and are not considered to be very reputable. They are almost always late to the party or flat out wrong in their analysis.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

I was unclear on your intent as apparently you were saying the Pirates.com article did not mention the money. The money doesn't come until 2014, so how would that effect 2013 budgeting? I'll repeat again that pirates.com is not a source of good Pirates news. The beat writers on mlb.com have little team access and are not considered to be very reputable. They are almost always late to the party or flat out wrong in their analysis.

Who is Tom Singer anyway? He has no information from the Bucs here, simply stating his opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:57 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Who is Tom Singer anyway? He has no information from the Bucs here, simply stating his opinion.

I state in my original post 'front some money'.....it is a guaranteed 26 million in 2014. I think it would be fairly ridiculous to think that whoever the writer is would create a giant lie regarding money and the Pirates plans and the Pirates would not contact MLB to remove the article if that was the case.

I'm done. I really don't understand the grief I am receiving on this.