Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 899
Location: Rochester, New York
Ralphie wrote:
Apparently this company has only one other client among major professionaly sports teams, that being the Buffalo Sabres.


Crap, now the Bucs are associated with Buffalo sports. They'll never win now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 pm
Posts: 14
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Tim did a nice job presenting actual researched facts to allow the reader to decide if there is value in this stuff. I still say the damage is probably done in the public eye.

I don't have a huge problem with the seals training, in it of itself. The leaked email from Kyle Stark, on the other hand, plus the fact that the development leadership in the organization has little experience, makes me think that the Pirates are run by a bunch of lunatics. And I admit that this colors my perception of everything related to the Bucs.

I now have a reason to explain why our development appears to be worse than it should, given our above-slot spending and excellent draft position for many years. I now question Huntington's common sense, because someone who hires and stands by unqualified people must have faulty judgement.

I can't definitively say whether any of this is true, but I can say that it negatively affects my opinion of the Bucs, and makes me want to root for them less.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10641
Ralphie wrote:
Apparently this company has only one other client among major professionaly sports teams, that being the Buffalo Sabres.

The trainning makes sense for an NHL team ... if the ice melts, that Seal training is going to come in handy BIG-TIME.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
The negativity that has overcome this board over the past 3 months has really been disappointing. I, for one, appreciated Tim Williams' article and thought he did a good job of researching information. Team-building exercises are important to an organization, and I applaud the Pirates for thinking outside of the box. I think DK has a bone to pick with the Pirates since he changed jobs, and I'd like to know what the real story is behind his suddenly vehement writings this season. I think there are too many new fans that had unrealistic expectations for this season, and since they didn't get what they expected, demand accountability from a Management Team that has only been in place for a few years. And I think there are some younger posters here who make inappropriate posts just because they want to bitch and argue.

See you after the Rule 5 Draft on December 6th. Maybe then we can have something productive to talk about, and perhaps some optimism on next season.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2158
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
The negativity that has overcome this board over the past 3 months has really been disappointing. I, for one, appreciated Tim Williams' article and thought he did a good job of researching information. Team-building exercises are important to an organization, and I applaud the Pirates for thinking outside of the box. I think DK has a bone to pick with the Pirates since he changed jobs, and I'd like to know what the real story is behind his suddenly vehement writings this season. I think there are too many new fans that had unrealistic expectations for this season, and since they didn't get what they expected, demand accountability from a Management Team that has only been in place for a few years. And I think there are some younger posters here who make inappropriate posts just because they want to bitch and argue.

See you after the Rule 5 Draft on December 6th. Maybe then we can have something productive to talk about, and perhaps some optimism on next season.

First, I am 46 years old and have been a Pirate fan since the mid 70's when I was old enough to kind of understand the game. I am a fanatic. I live and breath with my teams. I've aged enough that the losing doesn't make me want to put my fist through the wall...but it still bugs me. I've been told by my 7 year old that "the players are in the TV...they can't hear you". So I am unfortunately not young, new, or any of that stuff...

I am ok with some saying they don't think the SEAL training is a big deal. I'm not sure in and of itself it is a "big deal". I personally don't think it has any place in a baseball organization. Apparently many, if not all, with other organizations agree. Most here seem to have tired of DK and his writing. I understand for reasons I have stated above. However, it's as if some are insinuating he made some of this up because he had a bone to pick with the team. That is ridiculous. Because he didn't list the names and addresses of the players, parents, and other baseball people doesn't mean he made it up. Whatever you think of him, and his writing, I am pretty sure he has too much integrity for his job to do that. So based on his findings, it appears that this organization has become a laughingstock throughout baseball...something we can't afford.

I feel the opposite of you...I am surprised that so many here are "okay" with the stuff they are doing. Our player development absolutely blows! And this lunacy that is taking place just underscores why this management team needs replaced. And they haven't been in place for a "few" years, it has been 5 years. And there is nowhere near 5 years worth of progress shown with this organization...not at the major league level, nor the minor league level. This SEAL stuff just put the cherry on top for me. I personally think they need to all go...NOW.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
PirateParrot wrote:
And they haven't been in place for a "few" years, it has been 5 years. A


Disagree. Clint Hurdle has been the Manager for only 2 full seasons. Several of the scouts, minor league coaches, developmental guys have only been with the system for a few years. I am also 46 and a life-long Pirate fan, so I think people of our age have been patient. But I also think that we can be appropriate with expressing our frustrations.

The team-building exercises are being over blown by a disgruntled "former" beat writer. The younger fans haven't been through what we've been through and aren't old enough to understand patience.

I respectfully appreciate your response, and fully understand everyone's frustration. I just hope we can all be civil (which you seem to be) when moving forward with our Buccos. Next season is going to be a great one. I just feel it!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: More leisure reading . . .
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5580
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
The younger fans haven't been through what we've been through and aren't old enough to understand patience.


I may be a 'younger fan', but I've been one since 92-93. And Axl Rose taught me all I need to know about "Patience":



;) :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits