The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board
http://pittsburghsports.net/

For leisure reading . . .
http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10231
Page 1 of 1

Author:  No. 9 [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:09 am ]
Post subject:  For leisure reading . . .

Haven't read it yet but, given yesterday's comments here, I'm offering this link to Dejan and the self-proclaimed "Pirate bloggers" having an on-line roundtable discussion directed at the Navy Seal issue: http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/10/24/35 ... t-9-00-p-m

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

No. 9 wrote:
Haven't read it yet but, given yesterday's comments here, I'm offering this link to Dejan and the self-proclaimed "Pirate bloggers" having an on-line roundtable discussion directed at the Navy Seal issue: http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/10/24/35 ... t-9-00-p-m


I read through it earlier, it doesn't really add much. DK is condescending as always, particularly to Tim. DK also tries to "out" a poster as Rocco Demaro and mocks his current job as a video game reviewer.

The most agitating exchange IMO was over whether the farm is better, DK says no, Tim cites numerous sources including Law and BA who say yes, DK fires back with a "why evaluate it yourself when you can listen to others". That was the most assanine post considering Tim does nothing but analyze the system himslef in person, unlike DK. I wish Tim would have been more aggressive defensing himself, but he took the adult route and it turned into a DK ass kissing about how brave he was to show up on a blog that usually kills him.

I think the overriding opinion is A) Regardless of specifics, perception is bad. B) NH is an average GM (DK thinks worse due to his dislike of the farm system) and we can do better.

DK does say that NH is a really good guy in person, that surprised me a bit.

Author:  Dr. Phibes [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

I would say most these people we talk about are good guys in general....just might not be the best at their jobs which is a completely different thing.

Author:  PirateParrot [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

Sure the system is better. Remember it was in shambles when NH got here. So of course it is better. However, I don't think it is even close to good enough after 5 years.

As for the DK stuff...guys like him are paid and rewarded for uncovering stories like this. He does become condescending and stubborn a lot...and it does annoy me from time to time. But remember that can/could be a two way street. These bloggers constantly give him grief. Could it be jealousy because they are just one of a million bloggers, and he is a columnist? I don't know any of these people personally so I'm not trying to insinuate that. Just saying the possibility exists. I know I would rather read DK's stuff, even if it annoys the heck out of me, rather than some blogger(even if it is a good blog).

Author:  Barrys Dopers [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

PirateParrot wrote:
Sure the system is better. Remember it was in shambles when NH got here. So of course it is better. However, I don't think it is even close to good enough after 5 years.

As for the DK stuff...guys like him are paid and rewarded for uncovering stories like this. He does become condescending and stubborn a lot...and it does annoy me from time to time. But remember that can/could be a two way street. These bloggers constantly give him grief. Could it be jealousy because they are just one of a million bloggers, and he is a columnist? I don't know any of these people personally so I'm not trying to insinuate that. Just saying the possibility exists. I know I would rather read DK's stuff, even if it annoys the heck out of me, rather than some blogger(even if it is a good blog).


I guess the main issue I have with DK is that he hasn't yet really expressed a clear argument (to me) that isn't littered with peripheral bs. As good as he is, he has let himself sink into these side stories when he is capable and knowledgeable enough to pen a great commentary on why he thinks the team should make changes. I have reached a similar conclusion to his on my own, but I haven't seen him do what he can do - write the death knell piece that is not affected by emotion and opinion, but rather is based on actual baseball facts. So maybe my issue is really that I feel disappointed in DK and that turns into me being easily annoyed when he is condescending.

Author:  No. 9 [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

In my experience, those who criticize others for a living are among the worst at receiving criticism when it is directed towards them.

Author:  No. 9 [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

When he was a Board Member, I recall No. 12 speaking ill of those who wrote for the Rivals Network and levied allegations of plagerism. While I find myself questioning many bloggers' supposed intelligence and knowledge of the subject on which they blog, some of the better sites are quite good at doing what those in the newspaper business proclaim to be their job . . . holding others' feet to the fire. Now the "professional" journalists are having their feet held to the fire by the bloggers and they don't appear to like it very much. Its almost as if the "professional" journalists feel as though they have a license to criticize but shoudld be immune from criticism.

Just my $.02 . . .

Author:  Dr. Phibes [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

No. 9 wrote:
When he was a Board Member, I recall No. 12 speaking ill of those who wrote for the Rivals Network and levied allegations of plagerism. While I find myself questioning many bloggers' supposed intelligence and knowledge of the subject on which they blog, some of the better sites are quite good at doing what those in the newspaper business proclaim to be their job . . . holding others' feet to the fire. Now the "professional" journalists are having their feet held to the fire by the bloggers and they don't appear to like it very much. Its almost as if the "professional" journalists feel as though they have a license to criticize but shoudld be immune from criticism.

Just my $.02 . . .


Very good points......

Author:  No. 9 [ Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: For leisure reading . . .

I penned a three paragraph submission that I submitted on the T-R blog this afternoon which was - for some reason - blocked by the moderators of the Board. I made three points: 1. Agents always overstate how their clients have been treated; 2. Is there any more detail that can be offered regarding the ice water/sand pits and 3. I agreed with Eric Bowser that the sources who want to remain anonymous are frustrating. I referred to them as "weak sauce" if they desired anonymity while speaking ill of others.

The overall tone was neither accusatory nor confrontational. Merely stated an opinion and observations.

I find it curious that it was blocked.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/