Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Laughingstock..."
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 am 

I know many here have tired of DK's columns. Read his latest. What a horrible indictment of this organization. If Nutting doesn't make changes with these idiots running the team then he is saying he just doesn't give a crap. This is somewhere between laughable and utterly disgusting.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/2819385-74/pirates-polanco-baseball-players-team-hell-month-prospects-week-ankle#axzz2ABLipznJ

Post subject: Re: "Laughingstock..."
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am 

Sorry, but Neil Huntingdon needs to be fired immediately. If Coonelly supports him, he should go too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 am 

Charlie Wilmoth's rebuttal. Although I agree DK has an agenda, this has gone too far.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/10/24/3546374/kovacevic-gregory-polanco-injured-ankle-during-navy-seals-training

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:52 am 

This is just plain unacceptable. Treating the future team in such a sophmoric fashion may be material for "Animal House II" but not for professional athletics on a team fighting to become acceptable. To risk injury to these kids shows a total lack of understanding of the goal. The is certainly ok to include some fun activities to keep everyone bonding together but they should not be activities that turn players against management or risk injury.

Looks like someone who has gained a little power and it has gone straight to thier head. The Pirates need to access this situation and remove those held responsible. -- Fire the bastards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 am 

It was both very strange and very Pirates like the way the announcements came out a while back. In the midst of the collapse, well before season's end, Coonelly announced that no one was getting fired. Then a week or so later Nutting says there will be a thorough review and the status quo is unacceptable.

Did Coonelly really make that announcement without talking to Nutting?

They should have waited until the end of the season, then whatever came out should have come from Nutting.

Now Nutting has painted himself into a corner. He has to fire someone or he looks real stupid. And since he has to fire someone, he may as well fire everyone. From Coonelly on down.

Start fresh and get better people.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am 

After this season's record setting collapse, I am of the opinion that NH, if anyone, has to go.

It really didn't take a baseball genius to determine that the Pirates needed to build from within by the draft and smart trades when NH was hired as GM.

But, also as important if not more so, is assembling a team of quality front office personnel, scouts, and coaches who can develop the talent the Pirates already have and will acquire in the future.

I must say, at this point, that probably nothing or no one could have screwed up a player like Cutch because he has so much talent!

Although NH's "plan" to build from within makes abundant sense now and when he was hired, the major league team is still a losing team.

For that reason, I'm no longer in the NH camp. I have NO reason to believe that this Pirate team will be any better next year than it was this year.

The basic strategy is sound but a different leader at the helm, I believe, is needed. And, some philosophical changes need to be made.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 am 

The more I read about this, the more I think the Pirates need a sweeping cultural change. I could see NH staying if he would have made some drastic changes this off-season, but either his loyalty or arrogance has gotten in the way.

The team itself is headed in the right direction. The NAVY seals things doesn't bother me. Big corporations, small companies do things like this all the time and it works. But everything else has just built up to the point where there too many questions regarding all part of the organization.

No doubt DK has made it personal with these guys and I really have questioned his loyalty to franchise fogging his vision, but there are too many things wrong structurally with this organization to just stand still.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 am 

Wow. What a bunch of clowns. Next we will hear that the Dominican Academy required the players to go on panty raids on Saturday nights.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 am 

I wasn't originally bothered by the Navy Seals thing. There's a lot that can be gained from such an exercise and I don't think every day of every season has to be spent on "baseball fundamentals".

However, reading that there was a base-stealing/sliding practice at 5:00am, the day of an away game, turned my stomach. Practicing in the dark? Out-of-shape coaches playing second? This is a formula for injury. Maybe there was another reason Mark Appel didn't want to sign with the Pirates, and it had nothing to do with money. Maybe he just didn't want to forgo his senior season to join such a Mickey-Mouse operation. If this sort of thing is common knowledge around the sport, as DK has been alleging for months, I wouldn't want to join this organization either.

It's hard enough to lure quality veteran players to a small-market team like the Pirates, esp with such a dismal history. But if prospects aren't interested, then the team is doubly screwed. I'm coming around to the opinion that the staff ought to go. And the sooner the better....

Last edited by val on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:56 am 

The one thing here that bothered me most was the Mark Appel retweet of DK's story (on DK's blog). The fact that Appel took the time to tweet this makes it fairly clear that he was aware of the weirdness in our system. I am not a fan of Mike Newman at Fangraphs, but he made an odd remark or three about our system practices based on stuff he was hearing before 2012. He failed to elaborate after throwing out the concerning things he was hearing (which was agitating). Perhaps the Bucs really have these dirty secrets that is hurting there credibility. I recall the 2010 draft when everyone thought Austin Kubitza would sign, for some reason he never did and ended up at Rice where he will be a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2013. Hmm?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 am 

I read the article last night when DK tweeted this right before I fell asleep. Woke up this morning and half thought it was just a dream. This whole saga is more sad than anything. Just unacceptable behavior from Kyle Stark (who appears to be a RAVING lunatic).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:58 am 

I had stopped visiting another Pirates MB because I felt they were all homers and would blindly defend anything the pirates brass chooses to do....but I stopped in to that site today to see if they were up to those old tricks of blindly defending and sure enough, there they were basically saying DK is garbage and anything he writes is garbage and they have no problem with the Seal training or the hell week stuff. Glad I made the jump.

If Bob Nutting does not look at this and see that they are ruining the one avenue we have to get better, draft and SIGN players...then he is just as bad as those making the decisions that its a good idea to treat your minor league system like a college fraternity.

The Seal training and hell week crap was meant to be 'bonding' exercises...you know what does that better than anything....winning....getting better as an individual and winning as a team....that builds bonds....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 pm 

Tim Williams has an article strongly questioning DK's "facts", it is worthwhile to consider the messenger. Tim also links to evidence that many, many teams in sports do this kind of stuff.

Tim basically says Polanco was indeed in a boot for weeks due to the in game injury and that he must have said he was OK to participate because Josh Bell was allowed to skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Tim Williams has an article strongly questioning DK's "facts", it is worthwhile to consider the messenger. Tim also links to evidence that many, many teams in sports do this kind of stuff.

Tim basically says Polanco was indeed in a boot for weeks due to the in game injury and that he must have said he was OK to participate because Josh Bell was allowed to skip it.

So then Tim is saying Polanco, and a pitcher that was in the same drill, are liars.

Does any sane person see value in making prospects run base drills through a pool of ice water?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

So then Tim is saying Polanco, and a pitcher that was in the same drill, are liars.

Does any sane person see value in making prospects run base drills through a pool of ice water?

No, he is saying that he spoke with Polanco directly and so did Kristy Robinson and he cites other sources too. He is saying that DK is twisting the time frame and facts.

Sure, it breaks up the boring program that these kids have been doing for 8 months. It is fun to do this kind of stuff and gets the guys attention. I'm not saying I'd do it, but Olympians and over 100 teams in sports do this kind of stuff. There are also direct quotes (per PG plus) from Pirate players that say this stuff is LESS intense than their normal training regimes.

I don't see it as a big deal, but the problem is that other prospects might and we can't have people avoiding the Pirates for fear of stuff like this that has little value. Bad publicity is not good whether its warranted or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

They need that icewater in their veins so they don't collapse in September after making it to the big club.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

No, he is saying that he spoke with Polanco directly and so did Kristy Robinson and he cites other sources too. He is saying that DK is twisting the time frame and facts.

Sure, it breaks up the boring program that these kids have been doing for 8 months. It is fun to do this kind of stuff and gets the guys attention. I'm not saying I'd do it, but Olympians and over 100 teams in sports do this kind of stuff. There are also direct quotes (per PG plus) from Pirate players that say this stuff is LESS intense than their normal training regimes.

I don't see it as a big deal, but the problem is that other prospects might and we can't have people avoiding the Pirates for fear of stuff like this that has little value. Bad publicity is not good whether its warranted or not.

True. Perception matters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

Kristy was all over this last night, I guess DK's original story said that Polanco directly said all these things, then she called him out and said Polanco speaks no English and Tony Sanchez chipped in that Polanco knows 5 words maybe. Then, DK changed his story and said it was through a translator.

Kristy the says she was in WV twice and Polanco had a boot twice, DK says no boot until last week.

Tony Sanchez adds this - "We are as prepared to succeed, if not more, than any other organization in the MLB. Not just physically but mentally as well."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:12 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Kristy was all over this last night, I guess DK's original story said that Polanco directly said all these things, then she called him out and said Polanco speaks no English and Tony Sanchez chipped in that Polanco knows 5 words maybe. Then, DK changed his story and said it was through a translator.

Kristy the says she was in WV twice and Polanco had a boot twice, DK says no boot until last week.

Tony Sanchez adds this - "We are as prepared to succeed, if not more, than any other organization in the MLB. Not just physically but mentally as well."

Tough to tell who to believe....

In this corner, we have a bunch of people who are either employed directly or indirectly by the Pirates, or run sites that the Pirates grant them access and that is how they gain their insight so depend on the Pirates essentially 'liking them'....

In this corner, we have DK and some other Pittsburgh media that have no reason on the surface to not report the truth but seemingly have some deep seeded bone to pick with the organization....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:13 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Tony Sanchez should shut up, stop tweeting, and start producing. He's kissing ass. Tim Williams and Kristy Robinson are team bloggers....also kissing ass. DK has since acknowledged there was a translator there when he spoke to Polanco.

Save the military stuff for the military. MP put it best above...you want to bond start winning. They should try running an actual baseball operation. The whole thing is a huge joke. All should be fired. Lets face it the public is starting to find out about the crazy stuff they do, that people inside baseball were already aware of...and they don't like it. Complete joke!