Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Okay, get your package together!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 pm 

No, I'm not telling you all to put on your jock strap, but I would like to hear what kind of package you think it would take to pry Justin Upton from the D-Backs. It is likely he will be dealt, and I think he is poised for a big year (just a hunch). He's just the kind of bat we need to complete this lineup.

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

Post subject: Re: Okay, get your package together!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 pm 

As many have said in the past, his home/away splits are not very favorable meaning he has struggled on the road. He is a good player and I would love to have him, but not by giving up Tallion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
No, I'm not telling you all to put on your jock strap, but I would like to hear what kind of package you think it would take to pry Justin Upton from the D-Backs. It is likely he will be dealt, and I think he is poised for a big year (just a hunch). He's just the kind of bat we need to complete this lineup.

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

I'd offer a couple of dubious prospects from State College. Justin Upton is an illusion created by playing in a ballpark that loves hitters. Granted, he's only 24 and he might show a ton of improvement over the next three or four years, but if the Pirates traded Taillon or Tabata for Upton I'd lead the march on Federal Street to depose the current management team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

I'd offer a couple of dubious prospects from State College. Justin Upton is an illusion created by playing in a ballpark that loves hitters. Granted, he's only 24 and he might show a ton of improvement over the next three or four years, but if the Pirates traded Taillon or Tabata for Upton I'd lead the march on Federal Street to depose the current management team.

Are you kidding? You wouldn't accept a Tabata for Upton deal?!?! Are you crazy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

For the record, the current management team should be deposed...
If the Dbacks would accept Tabata and some throw ins for Upton, I'd drive Tabata to Arizona myself. Wouldn't trade Taillon for him, but Tabata? C'mon...that guy is toast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am 

Ryann wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

Come on man! no one is suggesting Tabata for Upton. Who is the crazy guy here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

If the Dbacks would accept Tabata and some throw ins for Upton, I'd drive Tabata to Arizona myself. Wouldn't trade Taillon for him, but Tabata? C'mon...that guy is toast.

Upton's career road triple slash is .250/.325/.406 and his career PNC triple slash (yeah, yeah, SSS) is .245/.273/.327. No thank you.

I have to believe that Marte, Tabata, or Snider can do that in the future, and if not that's okay because he doesn't have a $50 million contract. The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc... can afford to spend $50 million on potential but the Pirates cannot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:45 pm 

Maslow's Pittsburgh Pirates hierarchy of needs:
1. SP
2. C
3. 1B
4. RP
5. SS
6. UT (IF/OF)
7. OF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh's Hierarchy of Needs:
Owner
President
GM
Manager
SP(s)
C
SS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Maslow's Pittsburgh Pirates hierarchy of needs:
1. SP
2. C
3. 1B
4. RP
5. SS
6. UT (IF/OF)
7. OF

I would agree that SP is #1, I'll keeping banging the Jon Lester drum (if not Lester then Dan Haren on a 1 year rebuild value deal). There isn't a C out there that will help much IMO. I don't see 1B as an issue unless you trade Jones. RP is probably #2 on the need list since only Hanny, Hughes, Watson, and Resop will return and they should trade Hanny. That said, filling the bullpen on the cheap is NH's best skill.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:18 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I would agree that SP is #1, I'll keeping banging the Jon Lester drum (if not Lester then Dan Haren on a 1 year rebuild value deal).

Bang it loud. Either would be perfect 'refurbish' jobs for this team.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
There isn't a C out there that will help much IMO.

True, but it's still the most pressing need (as Barmes looks locked in at SS and one 'defense first' player is acceptable; especially at such a hard position to fill).

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I don't see 1B as an issue unless you trade Jones.

And also assuming that Gaby is retained. Plus, the dreaded 'platoon' debate. In theory/general, much like C, 1B is a de facto 'need', albeit an unlikely one to be filled.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
RP is probably #2 on the need list since only Hanny, Hughes, Watson, and Resop will return and they should trade Hanny. That said, filling the bullpen on the cheap is NH's best skill.

*nodding*

What's the deal with Juan Cruz? He was solid then I forget if he was cut or just injured (or both).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I would agree that SP is #1, I'll keeping banging the Jon Lester drum (if not Lester then Dan Haren on a 1 year rebuild value deal).

Bang it loud. Either would be perfect 'refurbish' jobs for this team.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
There isn't a C out there that will help much IMO.

True, but it's still the most pressing need (as Barmes looks locked in at SS and one 'defense first' player is acceptable; especially at such a hard position to fill).

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I don't see 1B as an issue unless you trade Jones.

And also assuming that Gaby is retained. Plus, the dreaded 'platoon' debate. In theory/general, much like C, 1B is a de facto 'need', albeit an unlikely one to be filled.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
RP is probably #2 on the need list since only Hanny, Hughes, Watson, and Resop will return and they should trade Hanny. That said, filling the bullpen on the cheap is NH's best skill.

*nodding*

What's the deal with Juan Cruz? He was solid then I forget if he was cut or just injured (or both).

Juan Cruz stunk after he got back from his time off to go take care of 'family issues' or 'private matters' or whatever it was.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 pm 

Maybe we can trade for a catcher.

I'm leery of going into the season with McKenry and Sanchez as your top two guys. Sanchez needs to log more AAA time and improve his offense there for me to be comfortable with him in the bigs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

I'm leery of going into the season with McKenry and Sanchez as your top two guys. Sanchez needs to log more AAA time and improve his offense there for me to be comfortable with him in the bigs.

Bingo. I think a catching upgrade can be had by trade. The Nats have an extra guy if Ramos comes back, and the Jays have d'Arnaud coming up making Arencibia available. That's just a couple that I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

doug frobel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Bingo. I think a catching upgrade can be had by trade. The Nats have an extra guy if Ramos comes back, and the Jays have d'Arnaud coming up making Arencibia available. That's just a couple that I can think of.

You aren't talking about Suzuki, are you? I hope not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

Who's kidding who? You could never get Upton for Tabata straight up after the season Tabata had last year. That means a package. That probably means overpaying, especially if it was the crazy package above.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:06 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I'd offer:

Taillon
Tabata
Jones

No Marte for now.

He's younger than Upton.

But it's irrelevant. You could never get Upton for Tabata and throw ins, unless the throw ins were a lot better than Tabata. The thing is, outside of hitter friendly Arizona, Upton IS Tabata, more or less, with a lifetime road OPS of .731. PNC would eat him alive, and he's due about $38M over the next three years. He'd be a terrible addition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

He's younger than Upton.

But it's irrelevant. You could never get Upton for Tabata and throw ins, unless the throw ins were a lot better than Tabata. The thing is, outside of hitter friendly Arizona, Upton IS Tabata, more or less, with a lifetime road OPS of .731. PNC would eat him alive, and he's due about $38M over the next three years. He'd be a terrible addition.

I'm fine with starting the season with Marte, McCutchen, and Snider(I really like him for some reason) in the outfield. But if you aren't going to add a bat to this lineup then a few things better happen...
1. Pedro becomes consistent and McCutchen stays strong for an entire season. Not .380 strong, but he has to avoid the major dip in the second half of a season.
2. Secondary players such as Walker and Jones need to not drop off significantly.
3. Marte blossoms into a really exciting player(I think he will, just not sure if it will be next year).
4. The pitching better be upgraded.

Even with all of that, I dread seeing a Sanchez/McKenry tandem catching and Barmes at SS....
To your original point, I'm not desperate to add Upton at all...but if they were dumb enough to make a trade with Tabata as the centerpiece then yes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh's Hierarchy of Needs:
Owner
President
GM
Manager
SP(s)
C
SS

I second that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm 

Wow I dont see how members are comparing Upton to Tabata. Upton is vastly superior in all aspects of play! Also Upton's potential is amazing, and the guy has awesome power. He has already proven himself in the big leagues, and looks to get even better. Of course members on here would say that they wouldn't trade Tabata for Upton...whatta joke!