Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revisiting the Maholm and Doumit Decisions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:32 am 

I felt the Pirates should have re-signed both players. Maholm is/was a solid back of the rotation starter who took the ball every 5th day. He eventually signed with the Cubs for only $4.25 million (with a $6.5 million 2013 option). The Pirates decided to fill his rotation spot with the often injured Erik Bedard and it backfired badly. Maholm went 13-11 with a 3.67 era, made 31 starts and pitched great for the Braves down the stretch. He even increased his strikeout numbers this year (which couldn't have been expected).

Doumit signed with Minnesota and I thought they utilized him very well serving as the second catcher, an outfielder and mostly a DH. Doumit certainly is a butcher in the field but his offense has to make up for a good portion of that. He has a decent arm as well (and we saw this year that the stealing problems only got worse). He is injury prone as a catcher but I still think the Pirates should have paid him the $3 million he got from Minnesota. He hit .275/.320/.461 for a .781 OPS, which would have been a huge help to our lineup. The Pirates could have used a defensive replacement for him late in games and played him a bit in the outfield since Presley and Tabata had horrible years.

So with that being said, I'm very surprised that Huntington hasn't taken more abuse for letting these two guys go. I know a lot of people soured on Doumit because of his defense but Maholm deserved to stay. Now going into 2013, we once again need a new starting catcher and another starting pitcher.

Post subject: Re: Revisiting the Maholm and Doumit Decisions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

I will be one of the few people that will agree with you on Doumit. He would have been a huge asset to the Pirates this past season. I watched a lot of Twins games this season and they raved about him.

Now you'll get the "Yeah but..." replies from those that didn't actually watch the games...

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am 

I don't know about Doumit, but Maholm seems an unnecessary casualty of what I call The Any Body Fallacy. As in any body can be a 5th starter. It's been repeated here several times in the context of any body can be a short reliever, any body can be a reliever. If any body could do that, Rick van den Hurk would get 30 saves next year. Letting quality role players go in the hopes of finding someone just as good for less money is, at best, a status quo proposition. At it's worst, it contributes mightily to the kind of ball playing we got in August and September.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

I thought the people that "didn't watch the games" were the ones that liked Doumit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

But would I have liked him over Barajas? Absolutely. I mean, come on...it's Barajas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 am 

The Pirates would have had to exercise a 9 million dollar option to keep Maholm. The contract he signed with the Cubs showed that his market value at the time was half that. I cannot fault them for that decision regardless of how well he pitched.

Minnesota plays beer-league softball, so Doumit fits in well with them.

While I admit I would rather have had Doumit than Barajs this year, in the big picture we have no room for position players who can't play defense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
But would I have liked him over Barajas? Absolutely. I mean, come on...it's Barajas.

There is a Pirate Prospect article where Hurdle says he talked with Barajas at their exit interview for the season to feel out if he would be ok coming back as a backup catcher and only catch 60 to 80 games instead of 80 to 100. If we bring Rod Barajas back I may puke. I certainly won't be watching the Pirates cause that would mean they simply do not give a rats ass.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

There is a Pirate Prospect article where Hurdle says he talked with Barajas at their exit interview for the season to feel out if he would be ok coming back as a backup catcher and only catch 60 to 80 games instead of 80 to 100. If we bring Rod Barajas back I may puke. I certainly won't be watching the Pirates cause that would mean they simply do not give a rats ass.

I can understand Hurdle wanting to bring that up early, catcher's who can't hit or catch are certain to be in high demand [#sarcasm].

With Iannetta off the market this week, I don't see a big FA upgrade out there, give Tony Sanchez a shot, at least he can play D (and he has to go on the 40 man anyway). I think the only FAs I would pursue would be former Bucco David Ross, that said he'll be 36 next year, or Russell Martin, but I doubt he'd want to come here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm 

Do you think maybe Hurdle had to ask that because our $15 million dollar, top-of-the-rotation pitcher wants him as his personal catcher???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:42 pm 

Tough call on both. Both had really worn out their welcomes (at least that seemed to be the perception) and probably benefitted from the change of scenery (surely Doumit, getting to DH more).

However, it can't be overstated how much Doumit would have been an improvement over Barajas and Maholm, even at his $9 M option, probably would have produced at an even or probably better clip than Bedard. Had Paulie produced like he did for the whole year, the $9 M would have been a slight over pay, but 'worth it' as it probably would have bought the Bucs a few W's.

I'm more inclined to say that the loss of Maholm was 'worse' than the loss of Doumit.

At least with Barajas, he may have had a part in the A.J. rejuvination. Losing Maholm opened the door for a 1/2 price Bedard, which was a true stop-gap option, which ended badly.

Incidentally, unlikely as it may be, I'd like to see Maholm back in black-and-gold. He always seemed like a decent fit with this team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:47 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Do you think maybe Hurdle had to ask that because our $15 million dollar, top-of-the-rotation pitcher wants him as his personal catcher???

Probably the case, but...

The Bucs can't waste a roster spot on Barajas, whether he's catching 60-80 games/year or only when A.J. pitches.

It's time to see what TS can do and if Fort really can hold his nickname down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 pm 

All the dumbass members here always complained about how bad Doumit's defense was...Well look at Rod Barajas. The guy was throwing out a whole 7% of baserunners.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 am 

Ryann wrote:
All the dumbass members here always complained about how bad Doumit's defense was...Well look at Rod Barajas. The guy was throwing out a whole 7% of baserunners.

I don't see anyone here claiming to be satisfied with Barajas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 am 

The question here is should Malholm and Doumit still be Pirates. The answer is no. Maholm was way over his worth and last I checked, we have no DH and that makes Doumit useless to us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
last I checked, we have no DH and that makes Doumit useless to us.

Ding, ding, ding. Doumit provides a good bat when he's healthy. He can't stay healthy playing catcher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm 

Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Throughout the season especially before the downturn MANY on the board were raving about how much of a better defensive player Barajas was.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Throughout the season especially before the downturn MANY on the board were raving about how much of a better defensive player Barajas was.

Can't speak for everyone, but they probably meant (specifically) passed balls and/or wild pitches. Barajas had only 7 and 25 of each, respectively.

Conversely, Doumit averaged 4 and 39.5/year (and factor in injuries, shortened 'learning curb' years and/or judicious use behind the dish and those numbers would be higher than they would appear; I don't know his 162/full year average).

Granted, Barajas' dWAR was equal to Doumit's last year (-0.6), so it's a wash, but technically Barajas was better than Doumit in that respect (just as Doumit is/was clearly better at throwing out runners).

Also, FWIW, I can't find a game log of Rod's 2012 defensive stats. It would be interesting to see just how bad his SB/CS (and/or PB/WP) #'s were as the season went on. I'd take a guess that as the season unfolded his #'s got worse, due to age/injuries and general melancholy.

EDIT: Lastly 'and also', I didn't look up Rod's ERA, but again I would guess that (thanks in part to an improved pitching staff that) when he was behind the plate that the Pirates pitchers had a lower ERA than when Doumit had been. Surely someone smarter than I can look it up and prove it/otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm 

Barajas sucked, but you cant fully put all the stolen bases on the catchers. Yadier Molina would have had a tough time throwing out runners if he was catching the Pirates pitching staff.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:11 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Before the downturn, after the downturn, and probably after he's dead and in his grave, Rod Barajas is vastly superior to Doumit defensively.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Willton wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Being better than Doumit defensively and being an unsatisfactory catching option are not mutually exclusive.