Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I feel really bad about that call on the Braves...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
Rochester wrote:
The 1954 Yankees won 103 ballgames and finished 8 games behind the Indians. So great teams missing the playoffs has happened.

I would also argue that the 1 game play in has existed since the dawn of time in the case of certain ties. While the context of that situation has changed, it's hardly revolutionary. I have no issue with it.

So, maybe I missed it, but you seem to be only one who came away a winner this season. What beer did your partner end up getting you?

Ha! True story. We haven't gotten to the store yet, but thanks for asking :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am 

I too liked the old format with 3 divisions and 1 wildcard. It had great symmetry and fairness. This format does not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:20 am 

Ralphie wrote:
I too liked the old format with 3 divisions and 1 wildcard. It had great symmetry and fairness. This format does not.

The old format was unfair to division winners. If a WC gets the same chance to advance then why try and win the division.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:42 pm 

The simple answer really is having only 2 divisions (and 2 WC's).

That would incentive winning [a/the division] without 'cheapening it' (it would lessen, if not totally eliminate, the likelihood of division winners w/ lower W-L than WC's).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 pm 

I don't put any special weight on winning the division. If you were one of the four best teams you qualified for the playoff tournament, period. Actually it's not quite that simple but most years it probably worked out that way.

As it is now a division winner with a worse record has a big advantage over a wild card team with a better record. For example Detroit vs. Texas.

The NBA and NHL place no special weight on winning the division and I don't hear people complaining about that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I don't put any special weight on winning the division. If you were one of the four best teams you qualified for the playoff tournament, period. Actually it's not quite that simple but most years it probably worked out that way.

As it is now a division winner with a worse record has a big advantage over a wild card team with a better record. For example Detroit vs. Texas.

The NBA and NHL place no special weight on winning the division and I don't hear people complaining about that.

The NHL does, it seeds the division winners #1-3 (regardless of other team's records) and has an imbalanced schedule like baseball with more intradivisional games. Pit played Philly in round 1 last year because of divisional seeding (#4 vs #5). They both had more points than Florida or Boston. Pit would have been the 2 seed based on points only and Philly would have been the #3 seed..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm 

Yes they seed the division winners higher but everybody has to lose 4 games to be eliminated, not just 1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Disagree. It's easy to say to win your division, but what if you are in a division with a powerhouse team and the rest of the divisions suck.

Tough luck. Get better. How do you think American League fans felt having their favorite teams deal with 40+ years of Yankee dominance?

Quote:
You could easily be the second best team in baseball and get screwed in the one game deal. Although I too like rewarding the division winners, this goes too far. I would love to see a five game wild card series, a 7 game division series, 7 game championship series and a 7 game World Series. And please don't tell me it can't be done. If they really wanted to make the playoffs legit, they could.

Right, they could play until Thanksgiving, or start the season in mid-March, because there isn't a chance in hell that they're going to shorten the season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Disagree. It's easy to say to win your division, but what if you are in a division with a powerhouse team and the rest of the divisions suck.

Tough luck. Get better. How do you think American League fans felt having their favorite teams deal with 40+ years of Yankee dominance?

Sis, you're a smart fella, so I feel compelled to ask:

Why should geography determine what teams are best when there are 162 games which decide just that?

The fact that Tampa/St. Pete is located in Florida and/or that Anaheim is located in California and not Iowa should not affect their postseason positioning.

In a two-division format, Detroit would have been playing for nothing.

And such is not an uncommon occurence in MLB or other sports (2010 7-9 Seahawks over 10-6 Bucs and Giants), either.

Placing teams in geographic regions for scheduling purposes makes a world of sense, but to allow that advantage, or lackthereof, to allow for potentially 'inferior' teams to make it over demonstratably 'better' teams does point to holes in any playoff system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Sis, you're a smart fella, so I feel compelled to ask:

Why should geography determine what teams are best when there are 162 games which decide just that?

The fact that Tampa/St. Pete is located in Florida and/or that Anaheim is located in California and not Iowa should not affect their postseason positioning.

In a two-division format, Detroit would have been playing for nothing.

And such is not an uncommon occurence in MLB or other sports (2010 7-9 Seahawks over 10-6 Bucs and Giants), either.

Placing teams in geographic regions for scheduling purposes makes a world of sense, but to allow that advantage, or lackthereof, to allow for potentially 'inferior' teams to make it over demonstratably 'better' teams does point to holes in any playoff system.

I don't really care how they divide things up. The only truly fair way to determine a champion is to throw all 30 teams into a single league, play a 100% balanced schedule, and give the championship to the team with the best record at the end of the season. That wouldn't happen in a million years, nor should it. You'd have about 20 teams that couldn't sell tickets by the end of June.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I don't really care how they divide things up. The only truly fair way to determine a champion is to throw all 30 teams into a single league, play a 100% balanced schedule, and give the championship to the team with the best record at the end of the season. That wouldn't happen in a million years, nor should it. You'd have about 20 teams that couldn't sell tickets by the end of June.

All too true.

Thanks for clarifying! (that you don't support the current format, just acknowledge the unfairness of just about any system).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:11 pm 

i feel really bad about the REDS losing....not! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 pm 

And was sick of hearing about chipper jones and his farewell tour.