Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ron Cook's Article
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:30 pm 

Ron Cook made a mess in the Post Gazette with an extremely negative article about the Pirates. In his first paragraph he says this season was the worst in 20 years, and that it will be remembered as the golden year of this era of Pirates baseball. It never gets any better from there.

He says we have no power bat. And he says that Alvarez has amazing power.

He disrespects McKenry which is unwarranted.

It's essentialy a whining rant that shows that he doesn't really know where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-for-pirates-656270/

Post subject: Re: Ron Cook's Article
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 pm 

I dunno, he encapsulates my forebodings for the team. We've played .350 ball, or thereabouts, in the Huntington era after the All Star break. And we didn't seem to do anything much different this year to forestall another epic August/September swan dive. Being small market, we're not going to do anything different at SS, and since our two staff leaders prefer Barajas, we're probably not doing anything to upgrade there, either. We've got a team president, not the owner, but still, saying that he thinks the brain-trust is A-OK, we may very well have wasted a career year from McCutchen, and a bullpen in shambles after putting together one of the finest half-seasons in baseball history. And we may lose Hanrahan.

Despite the frustration of last year's anti-climax, I was still positively upbeat for this season. I'm not optimistic at all about next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 pm 

cook is a blowhard. i give little regard to anything he has to say.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 am 

There's a lot of overwhelming negativity in the fan base, and it clouds people's judgement so that they can't see the positives.

They won 79 games, which by the standards of the last 20 years is pretty good. I personally think their position players as a group will be better next year, and if we can get any kind of performance out of the starting rotation, will be over .500 and contending for the playoffs again.

Barajas will not be back, and Barmes isn't as bad as people think. There's a very good chance he will give us the same steady defense next year and hit a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm 

Cook said this was the worst year, does he not remember the 2001 season when Pat Meares and rookie Jack Wilson were the starting middle infield duo and a .233 hitting Kevin Young at 1st base and a starting rotation that had Jimmy Anderson and Tony McKnight and their 1.50 WHIP's?

Cook is an idiot...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 pm 

This is the considered the worst year since they got everyones hopes up and were at one point 16 GAMES ABOVE .500. They had one of the most epic downfalls of ALL TIME...yeah I guess you could say that makes this the worst season yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm 

Ryann wrote:
This is the considered the worst year since they got everyones hopes up and were at one point 16 GAMES ABOVE .500. They had one of the most epic downfalls of ALL TIME...yeah I guess you could say that makes this the worst season yet.

You could say it, but you'd be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Not even close. The year that Kendall wrecked his ankle (and the immediate future of the franchise in the process) was WAY worse.

I think the Bucs missed .500 or better by 3 games that year, too. It literally added insult to injury.

The 100 loss season in 01 was altogether abysmal, too.

And lets not forget the 105 loss season just a few short years ago.

This one hurts, but at least there's optimism and potential on the horizon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:15 pm 

I agree that Cook (and we fans) are jaded and negative, after 20 years who wouldn't be. Cook has even admitted that he's sick of the Pirates after all these years of losing. He and Vinny (on the FAN) went back and forth about this a week or so ago, and Cook just said out right that he's done with the Pirates. Vinny was trying to be more postive and Ron just kept saying that he'd been here for the 20 years and that it's hard to stomach, which, of course, it is.

But, if we step back a bit, I think the Bucs are heading in a better direction.......of course, I'm always hopeful each spring. That's what baseball is about in the spring.....hope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:09 am 

If anything, this past season hurts the most because it looked so good for so long before the collapse. In past seasons, the team left any glimmer of hope of winning back in May, leaving the remainder of the season to plans for the following year. This is the first time in a very long time where Pirates fans had a team to legitimately be proud of, and it all came crashing down. That hurt a lot, and I'll bet that most Bucs' fans agree.

That said, objectively, we were better than last year, and I'll take improvement over regression any day of the week. The real question is whether we will improve enough to become playoff candidates before our time with our star players runs out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 am 
 WWW  Profile

Meh. It's dissecting gossamer.

Quite frankly to define any of the last 20 seasons as the worst does a tremendous injustice to the other 19.

The only season that matters to me is the next one, since we no longer have a current one.