Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So what's next?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Also, as far as closers go (if Hanrahan is moved), Joakim Soria intrigues.

Sure, there's the coming-off-of-an-injury aspect, but that might actually drive down his market value.

I'd be more interested in trying someone from within the system, like Bryan Morris or Justin Wilson.

I tend to agree, but how about signing a Soria type or letting Grilli be the closer and have Morris and Wilson be set up guys. Then if Grilli(or Soria type) wears down/doesn't work out, then you can move them in to the role with a little late inning experience under their belts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Willton wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Also, as far as closers go (if Hanrahan is moved), Joakim Soria intrigues.

Sure, there's the coming-off-of-an-injury aspect, but that might actually drive down his market value.

I'd be more interested in trying someone from within the system, like Bryan Morris or Justin Wilson.

I tend to agree, but how about signing a Soria type or letting Grilli be the closer and have Morris and Wilson be set up guys. Then if Grilli(or Soria type) wears down/doesn't work out, then you can move them in to the role with a little late inning experience under their belts.

All interesting options.

It probably depends on the price/market for Soria. Obviously paying him what Joel would make in arb makes no sense, so he would have to sign for 1/2 or less.

And, like PP said, maybe ease Soria (or Morris/Wilson) into the closer role and use the others as reliable set-up guys (which one can never have too many of!)?

Just something that's out there if NH got really creative and/or was intent on trading Hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

From MLB Trade Rumors regarding the Twins
Quote:
The GM would also like to bolster the bullpen this winter and said that he will look at every avenue to improve the club's pitching. Mackey notes that the Twins could trade from their surpluses at first base and in the outfield with Justin Morneau, Chris Parmelee, Denard Span, Ben Revere, Josh Willingham, and Ryan Doumit in the mix for playing time.

Anyone we like?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm 

rellimie wrote:
From MLB Trade Rumors regarding the Twins
Quote:
The GM would also like to bolster the bullpen this winter and said that he will look at every avenue to improve the club's pitching. Mackey notes that the Twins could trade from their surpluses at first base and in the outfield with Justin Morneau, Chris Parmelee, Denard Span, Ben Revere, Josh Willingham, and Ryan Doumit in the mix for playing time.

Anyone we like?

Willingham, just like I did last winter. At this point we are clogged at corner OF and 1B, so any move would require a second move.