Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So what's next?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 pm 

He did that when the team was no where close to competitive. You are a moron if you want them to trade our major league pieces for more prospects. Shit they will never have a winning team, just keep trading the major league talent for more prospects. The time to strike is this offseason, they need to go out and improve the major league roster first and foremost.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 am 

If this team is going to strike while the iron is hot, then ownership needs to go out and get major league talent, while opening their pocket book. So lets go the other end of the scale and suppose they say we are going to up grade the team to make sure we are competing against the Reds, because lets face it, the Reds are cream of our division and are poised to remain that way for the next several years. Lets say they are going to open up the check book what do players like

LF---Josh Hamilton
RF---Nick Swisher
SS---Jhonny Peralta
C---A.J. Pierzynski
P----Zack Greinke

What do they cost? Those are the guys who are on the market that will make this team competitive with Reds and vault this team to the top of the NL.

Again as I stated before, if you are content with 82 wins then screw it don't do anything and this team might get there next year. If you want a wild card team then pick up two of those players. World Series contender they need all five. So what do they cost? They will cost at least what the Pirates Payroll is right now. I don't believe this team will advance 63 million to five guys.

Something needs to change and they are caught between a rock and a hard place. This team, the way it is can't contend with its current roster. So tell me who is out there that will make this team ready to Win the World Series?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 pm 

johnswahoo wrote:
Lets say they are going to open up the check book what do players like

LF---Josh Hamilton
RF---Nick Swisher
SS---Jhonny Peralta
C---A.J. Pierzynski
P----Zack Greinke

There are a few more potential 'available' P's, too.

Does Edwin have an option with the Nats? Is Lester available for the Sawks? Tampa would seem capable, if not eager, to move James Shields or other more 'veteran'/'pricey' SP's...

Grienke does intrigue though, as it's well known his dislike of 'major markets'. The Sawks and/or Yanks will probably offer him the moon, but we'll see if that matters...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 am 

Those of you wanting the Bucs to fire Hurdle and bring in someone else... I hear Jim Tracy is available... ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm 

johnswahoo wrote:
If this team is going to strike while the iron is hot, then ownership needs to go out and get major league talent, while opening their pocket book. So lets go the other end of the scale and suppose they say we are going to up grade the team to make sure we are competing against the Reds, because lets face it, the Reds are cream of our division and are poised to remain that way for the next several years. Lets say they are going to open up the check book what do players like

LF---Josh Hamilton
RF---Nick Swisher
SS---Jhonny Peralta
C---A.J. Pierzynski
P----Zack Greinke

What do they cost? Those are the guys who are on the market that will make this team competitive with Reds and vault this team to the top of the NL.

Again as I stated before, if you are content with 82 wins then screw it don't do anything and this team might get there next year. If you want a wild card team then pick up two of those players. World Series contender they need all five. So what do they cost? They will cost at least what the Pirates Payroll is right now. I don't believe this team will advance 63 million to five guys.

Something needs to change and they are caught between a rock and a hard place. This team, the way it is can't contend with its current roster. So tell me who is out there that will make this team ready to Win the World Series?

None of these players will help the Pirates win a WS. Greinke would be the only really attractive player and he will get $18 million a year or more for 5 to 7 years. Stop pretending we can afford high end free agents. Even if we could, high ticket guys are rarely worth the cash.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
johnswahoo wrote:

LF---Josh Hamilton
RF---Nick Swisher
SS---Jhonny Peralta
C---A.J. Pierzynski
P----Zack Greinke

None of these players will help the Pirates win a WS. Greinke would be the only really attractive player and he will get $18 million a year or more for 5 to 7 years. Stop pretending we can afford high end free agents. Even if we could, high ticket guys are rarely worth the cash.

Are you serious?? Not one of those guys would help us? You are crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
johnswahoo wrote:

LF---Josh Hamilton
RF---Nick Swisher
SS---Jhonny Peralta
C---A.J. Pierzynski
P----Zack Greinke

Are you serious?? Not one of those guys would help us? You are crazy.

They won't help us because they will cost too much (Hamilton, Swisher, or Greinke), arn't any good (AJ, unless you buy a career year at age 35), or arn't free agents (Peralta). Go back to playing video game baseball. In the real world the Pirates will not be handing out 5 year $75+ million dollar deals to free agents. None of those players will help the Pirates win a WS because none of them are going to be Pirates.

I would think with all the big ticket FA disasters of the last decade in MLB that we would be past the whole "let's sign 30+ year old player X and we'll win it all" kind of thinking. Laying out big bucks and many years for the top of the FA class is bound to fail. I would also think that the Rays sustained success in teh toughest division in baseball would be a clear enough blueprint for how to do it as a small revenue team. Here's a hint, it doesn't include long term free agent contracts.

Seriously, where is the example of this approach working in the last decade? Maye we can be the next 2012 Marlins! Get some players to help Mike Stanton and HanRam, great plan!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm 

While he hasn't lived up to the hype of his spectacular 2009 season, Zack Grienke would still be a major coup for the Pirates.

It's highly unrealistic he'd sign with the Pirates, mainly as pretty much every other team will be able to offer him more and/or the Pirates do not have a history of pursuing those types of players, but he'd check a few boxes for them.

A 200+ IP, sub-4 ERA, 8+ K/9, entering-his prime hurler might eat up most, if not all of the Bucs potential 'FA' $, but as there don't seem to be equally viable options on the market @ C and SS, Grienke would be a solid pursuit.

Alternatively, signing an Edwin-type or two, or trading for one or two of them (Lester, Garza, Shields, etc.) would also suffice.

In any event, unless a killer deal for a prime hitter (at a position of need) does fall on the lap of NH and co., at least tossing a hat into the Grienke race can't hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm 

Also, as far as closers go (if Hanrahan is moved), Joakim Soria intrigues.

Sure, there's the coming-off-of-an-injury aspect, but that might actually drive down his market value.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:31 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:

Sure, there's the coming-off-of-an-injury aspect, but that might actually drive down his market value.

I'd be more interested in trying someone from within the system, like Bryan Morris or Justin Wilson.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

I'd be more interested in trying someone from within the system, like Bryan Morris or Justin Wilson.

I tend to agree, but how about signing a Soria type or letting Grilli be the closer and have Morris and Wilson be set up guys. Then if Grilli(or Soria type) wears down/doesn't work out, then you can move them in to the role with a little late inning experience under their belts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Willton wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

I tend to agree, but how about signing a Soria type or letting Grilli be the closer and have Morris and Wilson be set up guys. Then if Grilli(or Soria type) wears down/doesn't work out, then you can move them in to the role with a little late inning experience under their belts.

All interesting options.

It probably depends on the price/market for Soria. Obviously paying him what Joel would make in arb makes no sense, so he would have to sign for 1/2 or less.

And, like PP said, maybe ease Soria (or Morris/Wilson) into the closer role and use the others as reliable set-up guys (which one can never have too many of!)?

Just something that's out there if NH got really creative and/or was intent on trading Hammer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

From MLB Trade Rumors regarding the Twins
Quote:
The GM would also like to bolster the bullpen this winter and said that he will look at every avenue to improve the club's pitching. Mackey notes that the Twins could trade from their surpluses at first base and in the outfield with Justin Morneau, Chris Parmelee, Denard Span, Ben Revere, Josh Willingham, and Ryan Doumit in the mix for playing time.

Anyone we like?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm 

rellimie wrote:
From MLB Trade Rumors regarding the Twins
Quote:
The GM would also like to bolster the bullpen this winter and said that he will look at every avenue to improve the club's pitching. Mackey notes that the Twins could trade from their surpluses at first base and in the outfield with Justin Morneau, Chris Parmelee, Denard Span, Ben Revere, Josh Willingham, and Ryan Doumit in the mix for playing time.

Anyone we like?

Willingham, just like I did last winter. At this point we are clogged at corner OF and 1B, so any move would require a second move.