Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season's Over!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 pm 

Very weak effort from the Bucs in the final game. The offseason has begun.

Glad to have seen the last of Barajas. The last two pitches he saw as a Pirate were down around his ankles and he swung over the top of both.

Post subject: Re: Season's Over!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm 

79 wins. Still some progress, but lots of work to do. Still need that one big bat (1B/RF) and a quality catcher. Hopefully, Cutch, Pedro, Marte, Walker and Tabata will all get better. Pitching we will have Burnett and Wandy. If James can come back, then we have three quality starters. Gotta think Cole will be up in June. Hopefully, he is the real deal. Bullpen needs to be rebuilt.

This is it for NH and company. They have gotten better the last two years despite the meltdowns. Nothing less than above .500 next season. They have to keep getting better even if it is at this slow pace.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm 

This team accomplished something pretty remarkable this year. It won 7 more games than last year, had a legitimate MVP candidate, had a 16-game winner, had 3 guys hit more than 25 HRs, was eliminated from the Wild Card with only 1 week left in the season - and still somehow managed to have arguably a more dispirited and frustrated fan base than ever.

Maybe in time the sting of this season will ease. Maybe they'll make some off-season moves that get people excited again. But what got shattered more than anything else this season is trust. And it will be a long time before a lot of fans trust this team again.

Having said that, I am still - and always will be - a Pirate fan. I'm 53 - I can remember when I was a little boy not caring at all about the Steelers (I didn't even realize they were in the same league with teams like the Packers and the Colts), and I can remember not even being able to understand hockey, let alone care what the Penguins did. But I can never remember not being a Pirate fan. For good or bad (and with 20 straight losing seasons, and only 7 winning seasons since The Family, it's mostly bad), it's just who I am.

Let's go Bucs!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm 

Well that was one wild ride -- the highs of being 16 games over, walk-offs, Cutch playing out of his mind for two and half months straight, three guys with 27+ homers, AJ turning his career around, the fun of Zolton, the 10-day legend of Drew Sutton, 2 million through the PNC turnstiles, and of course the lowest of lows, including historically abysmal offense for the first month, and the depressingly dreadful mid August to the end (7-21 in September? You don't need to be Einstein to figure that out as .250 ball). For some reason, I'm not too down about it -- realizing that while we all love our PBC, at the end of the day, for us, its just a diversion and a game. No sense slitting wrists. I'm guessing I'd be feeling worse if we took it to the last couple of games and then failed to make post-season.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing Cole and Taillon sometime next year (like last year, one of our downfalls was lack of pitching depth, and after JMac tanked and Bedard lost it, we were all too frequently pitching Locke and McFear, backed by a progressively leaky pen (yes, I mean you Jared Hughes, Chad Qualls, and those back-to-back Grilli outings against the Cubs). You know I'll be back to my Extra Innings Package in April '13, hoping for frequent Marte Parties, bombs by Toro, GIJones and Cutch, line drives by a healthy Neal, steller outings by AJ, Wandy and the rest, and perhaps a return to form by Tabs and Barmy.

Good luck to Nate in Baltimore, Moss in Oakland, Burnett in DC (but I won't be rooting for Flash's ATL teamates or Casey's Yankee teamates). Wish we were joining you, but c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:27 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
This team accomplished something pretty remarkable this year. It won 7 more games than last year, had a legitimate MVP candidate, had a 16-game winner, had 3 guys hit more than 25 HRs, was eliminated from the Wild Card with only 1 week left in the season - and still somehow managed to have arguably a more dispirited and frustrated fan base than ever.

Maybe in time the sting of this season will ease. Maybe they'll make some off-season moves that get people excited again. But what got shattered more than anything else this season is trust. And it will be a long time before a lot of fans trust this team again.

Having said that, I am still - and always will be - a Pirate fan. I'm 53 - I can remember when I was a little boy not caring at all about the Steelers (I didn't even realize they were in the same league with teams like the Packers and the Colts), and I can remember not even being able to understand hockey, let alone care what the Penguins did. But I can never remember not being a Pirate fan. For good or bad (and with 20 straight losing seasons, and only 7 winning seasons since The Family, it's mostly bad), it's just who I am.

Let's go Bucs!

3 guys with over 25 homeruns and a combined 23 homerun season from the catchers too.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm 

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'll do from now until Spring?!?!? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:39 pm 

I would have liked to have seen Garrett wind up with 30 HR's. That would have given the team three 30-HR hitters in one season for the first time in franchise history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 am 

The sting of the epic collapse is still a little fresh for me to heap tons of praise on this team; however I do acknowledge that this was the best season the Pirates have put together in the twenty years since Sid Bream outran Barry's weak arm. There is hope for some growth in the years to come with an improving farm system and a solid core group (McCutchen, Alvarez, Walker). For nearly five months I felt like a teenager again watching Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, et al.

I am bit discouraged to hear Hurdle already annoint Barmes as next year's shortstop. While I am fan overall of Hurdle's role with the organization someone needs to talk to him about his blind allegiance to underperforming veterans.

NH and FC need to strategically fill some holes on this team this offseason. It won't be easy with a weak FA class (at least for the players that the Pirates could target). I also hope they re-evaluate their handling of the farm system. Players seems to stagnate in our system. While you don't want to overload a young prospect, you should also challenge (and reward) them to breed success.

I have high hopes that Marte and Snider can gel alongside McCutchen next year. Hopefully Alvarez has gained some confidence this year and takes off to the 40HR (or beyond) plateau next year. I fear that Walker's back pains could be a precursor for the future (as a back-pain sufferer, I know that the chronic nature of this could be limiting). I look forward to one, last good year for AJ, some stamina for McDonald and maybe an early (and successful) debut for Gerrit Cole in next year's rotation.

Maybe, just maybe next year really is THE year....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'm a huge fan of El Toro so it's wishful thinking - but I think he has a huge year in 2013.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 pm 

we must get something out of Tabata next season. Either a productive year by him, or a legitimate return in a trade and say goodbye to him. To me, that's one of the keys to the entire next season.