Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6157
Location: Keystone State
Come back Damaso, come back.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/11087838

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bucco boy wrote:


I think the Yankees were planning all along to decline the option with the understanding that they would be negotiating an extension with him.

And I believe he is a type A which means if he would come back, he costs us a 2nd round draft pick.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5215
Location: Pittsburgh
BBF wrote:
bucco boy wrote:


I think the Yankees were planning all along to decline the option with the understanding that they would be negotiating an extension with him.

And I believe he is a type A which means if he would come back, he costs us a 2nd round draft pick.

I don't know much about the rules for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that a team must offer arbitration to a departing free agent in order to get compensation. Am I wrong?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
sisyphus wrote:
BBF wrote:
bucco boy wrote:


I think the Yankees were planning all along to decline the option with the understanding that they would be negotiating an extension with him.

And I believe he is a type A which means if he would come back, he costs us a 2nd round draft pick.

I don't know much about the rules for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that a team must offer arbitration to a departing free agent in order to get compensation. Am I wrong?


No, you are correct. A team can decline an option and then still offer arbitration. The fact that they were willing to negotiate an extension with Marte led me to assume that they would at least offer him arbitration. Should have stated that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5215
Location: Pittsburgh
BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I don't know much about the rules for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that a team must offer arbitration to a departing free agent in order to get compensation. Am I wrong?


No, you are correct. A team can decline an option and then still offer arbitration. The fact that they were willing to negotiate an extension with Marte led me to assume that they would at least offer him arbitration. Should have stated that.

I wonder if they'll offer him arbitration. That could be more expensive than the contract that he already had.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
sisyphus wrote:
BBF wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I don't know much about the rules for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that a team must offer arbitration to a departing free agent in order to get compensation. Am I wrong?


No, you are correct. A team can decline an option and then still offer arbitration. The fact that they were willing to negotiate an extension with Marte led me to assume that they would at least offer him arbitration. Should have stated that.

I wonder if they'll offer him arbitration. That could be more expensive than the contract that he already had.


Signed a 3 year extension today. Worth $12 mil.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte's $6 million option declined by Yankees
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm 
Good for Damaso. My brief delusion about him returning can now be put to bed.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits