Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Did anyone else find themselves - when Bixler grounded to shortstop last night in the 9th inning - pulling for Jose Bautista to blow up the Braves' second baseman with a incredibly hard slide (perhaps with the spikes up) to remind the Braves that the Bucs haven't forgotten about what has kept Jack Flash on the bench for nearly the whole season?

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
No. 9 wrote:
Did anyone else find themselves - when Bixler grounded to shortstop last night in the 9th inning - pulling for Jose Bautista to blow up the Braves' second baseman with a incredibly hard slide (perhaps with the spikes up) to remind the Braves that the Bucs haven't forgotten about what has kept Jack Flash on the bench for nearly the whole season?


I think as Bobby Cox has gotten older these last few seasons they have gotten dirtier...

Wasnt it Chipper Jones who plowed over Bautista last year on a play at 3rd base?

and I saw a game (I think against the Marlins or the Mets) this year where Kelly Johnson slid into 2nd well after a play was made to take out the fielder...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10729
I wanted Bautista to get down there to break up the double play to help the Pirates win the game.

But the shot that Mike Diaz gave to Wilson was chickensh*t. No reason to jump in the gutter with Diaz.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Bucfan wrote:
I wanted Bautista to get down there to break up the double play to help the Pirates win the game.

But the shot that Mike Diaz gave to Wilson was chickensh*t. No reason to jump in the gutter with Diaz.


Agreed...I don't intentionally try to injure one of their middle infielders.

I wouldn't, however, be against a few high and tight pitches to Diaz.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10729
BBF wrote:
Agreed...I don't intentionally try to injure one of their middle infielders.

I wouldn't, however, be against a few high and tight pitches to Diaz.


The suggestion has been weighed, and found fair and balanced.

Image

Mr. Diaz, you must pay for your transgressions.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
The Braves are playing like a desperate team these days. They no longer have the talent to just blow teams away, so they have to do the little things to keep themselves in games.

It's kind of sad to see a once proud franchise reduced to the kinds of things they're doing these days. But karma is a bitch and will come back to bite that whole team hard before the end of the season.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
I wanted Bautista to get down there to break up the double play to help the Pirates win the game.

But the shot that Mike Diaz gave to Wilson was chickensh*t. No reason to jump in the gutter with Diaz.


Agreed...I don't intentionally try to injure one of their middle infielders.

I wouldn't, however, be against a few high and tight pitches to Diaz.


BBF and Bucfan -
Interesting comments by the both of you. I find the comments interesting due to a recent work related experience that I had. In football, the defense tries to tackle a running back or wide receiver with the ball hard to "deliver a message." Same things happen in hockey. Checks are not only designed to separate a player from the puck but are delivered as hard as possible to also "deliver a message." A hard hitting defensive back or defenseman may not be trying to injure but they are trying to deliver maximum impact - within the rules.
I find no difference with a hard slide into second base - as long as it is done within the rules. You can break up a double play with a good slide or you can break up a double play with a good hard slide. I disagree vehemently that sliding into second base hard - within the rules - equates to an "intention" to injure; there may be an "intention" to create solid, hard contact but that doesn't mean that you have an "intention" to injure someone.
Going back to my original post, perhaps the suggestion of "perhaps" having the "spikes up" gave the suggestion that I wanted Bautista to put Diaz on the DL. If so, that is not the message that I wanted to deliver. However, I would not have shed any tears or found it inappropriate if Diaz ended up on his derriere or hopped around for a few seconds afterwards due to hard contact with his shin or ankle. That's part of playing 2B; it comes with the territory. He can ice the resulting bruise. He shouldn't feel comfortable getting ready to make the turn if a player is breathing down his throat.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
No. 9 wrote:
BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
I wanted Bautista to get down there to break up the double play to help the Pirates win the game.

But the shot that Mike Diaz gave to Wilson was chickensh*t. No reason to jump in the gutter with Diaz.


Agreed...I don't intentionally try to injure one of their middle infielders.

I wouldn't, however, be against a few high and tight pitches to Diaz.


BBF and Bucfan -
Interesting comments by the both of you. I find the comments interesting due to a recent work related experience that I had. In football, the defense tries to tackle a running back or wide receiver with the ball hard to "deliver a message." Same things happen in hockey. Checks are not only designed to separate a player from the puck but are delivered as hard as possible to also "deliver a message." A hard hitting defensive back or defenseman may not be trying to injure but they are trying to deliver maximum impact - within the rules.
I find no difference with a hard slide into second base - as long as it is done within the rules. You can break up a double play with a good slide or you can break up a double play with a good hard slide. I disagree vehemently that sliding into second base hard - within the rules - equates to an "intention" to injure; there may be an "intention" to create solid, hard contact but that doesn't mean that you have an "intention" to injure someone.
Going back to my original post, perhaps the suggestion of "perhaps" having the "spikes up" gave the suggestion that I wanted Bautista to put Diaz on the DL. If so, that is not the message that I wanted to deliver. However, I would not have shed any tears or found it inappropriate if Diaz ended up on his derriere or hopped around for a few seconds afterwards due to hard contact with his shin or ankle. That's part of playing 2B; it comes with the territory. He can ice the resulting bruise. He shouldn't feel comfortable getting ready to make the turn if a player is breathing down his throat.


No. 9:

Diaz plays LF.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
BBF wrote:

No. 9:

Diaz plays LF.


Well then, I guess a hard slide knocking Diaz on his tuckus would be well off the base line and likely result in a suspension. I'd suggest taking out the second baseman instead.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10729
Why take out the second baseman for something Diaz did?

He should pay his own freight.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
The Braves are dirty players all around and Diaz should pay for that slide...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Comment on last night's 9th inning (vs. Braves)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
I am surprised that he has not been 'beaned'.

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits